picked up a m1d garand scope ... need a mount

jeffmem

I picked up a "telescope m84", a cheek pad, and nice leather sling from a guy that was parting out his m1d. As an aside he had the t37 flash hider and a used barrel for sale that i passed on which I am kicking myself about ... regardless the question is what are my mounting options. I think the scope is a 7/8" body. I would like to find an original style mount which means drilling my rifle but would consider anything. Anyone done this before?

DSC_0296.JPG

DSC_0297.JPG

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on what configuration you want to use relative to the M1. The M1D, as you know, has a barrel that was manufactured to include the mount. The M1C used the Griffin & Howe side mount that requires drilling and tapping 3 (I think) holes and two more holes for pins.

You may be able to find the after market mount that was produced to provide the M1D configuration from Sarco or Gun Parts, Inc.. G & H still produces the M1C base and mount.

The M1C was, as you probably know, produced during the earlier phase of WWII but, very few, if any, were actually used in combat. The M1D was produced near the end of WWII and none saw action in that war. The M1D was used in Korea and Vietnam.

I believe, according to Hatcher's book, that the M1C used the M82 scope and the M1D used the M84. My M1D, which came from the DCM (now CMP) had the M84 scope. Most of the 1903A4 rifles had the M84 as well. However, I have seen M1D and 03A4 rifles issued with Weaver K4 scopes and the USMC issued some of their rifles with Kollmorgan (sp) scopes. A friend of mine received his M1D from DCM with a Weaver K4 in the package.

If you do not want to duplicate the "original" configuration for the sniper M1, then there are few choices available. S & K makes a mount that replaces the rear sight and is a "no drill" operation. The use of a "scout" type mount is out due to the standard eye relief of the M84 scope. There may be other options that I am not aware of at this time. Good luck.

• 1 year later...