Spreading just a bit of happiness

Guest Len

My students had drafts of their outlines for their persuasive speeches due yesterday, so a good chunk of my today is taken up by reading these. Here's the thesis for one of them. The rest looks good. (The assignment is to present a persuasive speech on a topical policy question.)

Specific Purpose: To show that gun control laws in America have went to far and violated 2<SUP>nd</SUP> amendment rights.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

Thesis Statement: Gun control laws in the United States are repressive and are a clear violation of American rights under the 2<SUP>nd</SUP> Amendment. <o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only have one problem with this statement

Specific Purpose: To show that gun control laws in America have went to far and violated 2nd amendment rights.

A little grammar. Don't get me wrong as far as a forum is concerned I try not to be a grammar Nazi, but when I turn things in to my instructors, I try to ensure that I have checked the grammar.

I gave a speech about the importance of allowing law abiding permit holders to carry in to places that serve alcohol. Dramatized by the fact that in less than a minute I was able to place 28 shots down range from a Glock with only 3 magazines. The reason only 28 was to hold the last two to dispatch anyone that wanted to try anything. I think the point was made clearly.

I opened with "A man walks in to the restaurant and starts shooting, in less than a minute 28 shots are fired and many people are injured. Which of you is going to do something about it?" One person raised their hand. I pointed my finger at him and said, "You're dead. This pistol holds 15 rounds per magazine and I only fired 1 complete magazine. If you were able to defend yourself with your own firearm, you would have the upper hand now because you could take a shot from cover."

Good comments about the importance of putting your best foot forward when attempting persuasion. The "to" was noted in my feedback and points will be deducted if it appears in the final version.

This is an online class and some students have been posting their speeches to YouTube for me to watch (its WAY easier than dealing with 37 different kinds of tapes, CD/DVDs, etc...) If this student does that and does well (and if he gives his permission) I will share the link with this group.

(If anyone wants some laughs sometime, go to YouTube and search "Informative Speeches" or "Persuasive Speeches" and watch a couple. Some are really funny -although not meant to be...)

Brian: Nice opening. Good attention-getter. (I hope proper range safety procedures were followed!)

Tungsten: I love that flick! It is part of my holiday tradition to watch it with friends and/or family.

Specific Purpose: To show that gun control laws in America have went to far and violated 2<SUP>nd</SUP> amendment rights.<O:p></O:p>

<O:p> </O:p>

Thesis Statement: Gun control laws in the United States are repressive and are a clear violation of American rights under the 2<SUP>nd</SUP> Amendment. <O:p></O:p>

Nice topic but I hope his actual thesis is more convincing than this.

Guest slothful1
The "to" was noted in my feedback and points will be deducted if it appears in the final version.

I was more put off by the "have went" conjugation than the homophonic "to / too" confusion.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the student in question did ok on his speech. It was no home run, but it was adequate.

His purpose of his persuasive speech (which I get to watch in about an hour) is to persuade the audience to obtain a TN carry permit and suitable handgun.

I don't think he knows I'm a NRA/carry permit instructor, so I guess he's just into the topic. I will suggest he join TGO. (Who knows, maybe he's a Glock man!)

And I'll offer to have him hand out my business cards to the audience!! :D

(j/k!)

Guest David Waldrip

I really didn't know, or had long since forgotten, that homophonic is a word. And I consider myself somewhat well read.

You folks are really something else, and I mean that as a compliment.

Go get 'em, Len.

It turned out pretty well. The student has most of his facts right and he presented some decent evidence that the world is dangerous (and that Tennessee is more dangerous than the average US state). He did say the background check takes 6 months, which thankfully is not true 99.9999% of the time.

I wrote "you should join us at www.tngunowners.com" on his outline. Maybe he'll sign up.

• 2 weeks later...
You need to be like the daydream that Ralphie had of his teacher grading his paper in A Christmas Story.

A-Plus... Plus... Plus... Plus... Plus!!!

:up:

You'll blow your brains out kid

Have to up it a bit, we are dealing with something with a little more power than a springed BB rifle.

:down:

I never did do well with speech, or engrish of any sorts for that fact. I think my brain delt to much with logic.