Quickest HCP renewal I've ever had

While I'd prefer that any of us not to even be required to have carry permits I'm glad my experience with renewing mine yesterday was about as pleasant as could be hoped for.

My renewal form came in the mail thirty days before the expiration of my handgun carry permit. I filled it out in a few minutes at my office in OR and then drove 10 minutes after work to the driver testing center in Clinton. I picked Clinton instead of West Knox because they're a quieter station.

I arrived 20 minutes before they were scheduled to close, walked into the door to be greeted by the clerk and was asked what they could do for me. "Carry permit renewal", I said and she replied with a smile, "Come on up".

She accepted my form, asked a couple of questions verifying my place of birth and current address, checked my current permit to verify I was who I claimed to be and noted I had left a spot blank and checked the box for me. I handed over my $50 renewal fee.

"I don't mind the $50, but I know people that can't afford the initial fee and classes.", I said. She replied, "I know it's tough, but the state pays $90 to the company that does the background checks." (I didn't know that and have to wonder why it is so high.)

Ten steps down the counter to snap a new ID picture. "Bureaucrats! They insist you have to have a new picture for renewals now", she laughed. She handed me a copy of the form with a code on it and told me to keep it until my new permit showed up in the mail, and "Just in case Nashville screws up".

I was in and out in under 5 minutes. biggrin.gif

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for this post!

What happens to you being able to carry if your new permit does not show up by the expiration of the old one?

Brian says

Can you not do that in Memphis?

If you mail it in, make a copy of the notorized application, keep it on you at all times and that should suffice..

As I understand it, if your old permit expires "you may not lawfully carry a weapon until you receive a new permit". The application doesn't serve as a permit to carry, although some LEOs would probably let you get by.

So it's a good idea to get the renewal in early enough to receive the new permit. You can do that six months before the old one expires.

As I understand it, if your old permit expires "you may not lawfully carry a weapon until you receive a new permit". The application doesn't serve as a permit to carry, although some LEOs would probably let you get by.

So it's a good idea to get the renewal in early enough to receive the new permit. You can do that six months before the old one expires.

I moved here from Florida, I had a Florida permit, When I applied for my Tennesse permit, I went through the same process to obtain my Tennessee permit, that a Resident of Tennessee would have to go through to renew theirs, I had to surrender my Florida permit,(I was worried that I would not be able to carry) I was very relluctant to give up my permit, but I was given a receipt(which was just as good as a permit)to carry in my wallet until it arrived, the permit came in 14 buisness days, which was VERY quick, Florida took me 85 days, anyway I was told then that your receipt would be good while you wait for your permit, be that as it may I would still not let it lapse, as you said you can apply 6 months before it expires that is ample time for anyone to get it done, Tennessee really seems on the ball with their handgun permits, I just wish it was like Florida where they are considered Concealed Weapon permits, which allows you to carry automatic knives, I will never understand why some states will let me carry a 44Magnum concealed, but not allow me to carry an automatic knife? :)

Willis, I think the difference is that you weren't really renewing a permit, although you go through the same steps as a renewal, in converting your Florida permit into a Tennessee one. When we renew our permits, we don't have to surrender the old one while we await the new card. An out of state permit holder does have to surrender their permits.

I think we are talking about different situations. My quotation that you may not lawfully carry a weapon until you receive a new permit came from the Tennessee web page you referenced.

I've personally never been able to get too excited about automatic knives. As long as I can get the blade out fairly easily, as I can on my covert folder, that's fine with me and no permit is needed.

Yes, that is true, I didnt think about that as a new resident the procedures are different, as far as the knives, I use to be into Balisongs and Microtechs, while I would never need to carry them for defense, it was just nice to use them as a pocket knife legally,

I did not have to surrender my Arkansas CHL to get a TN Handgun Carry Permit a year ago at the highway patrol office on Summer in Memphis. They took a photocopy of it and i paid them fifty dollars after having to call Nashville to figure out what 'procedure' to follow because i have an Arkansas license. The real funny thing was i got a call from the main office in Nashville telling me i passed the background check and was ready to go, but the main office did not get the copy of my Arkansas CHL from the Memphis office. I just faxed them a copy and received the permit within a couple weeks (Thanksgiving time).

I agree with going anywhere but Memphis to renew or get a DL. I've heard Millington is a lot better. It is nice though to get your handgun carry permit and DL taken care of at one stop.....back home you have to deal with the revenue dept for DL's and the state police for CHL's and it is not a one stop deal because they are two totally different state offices.