Smooth surface on face of trigger means?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jackdm3

My dad's PPK had vertical grooves that he dremeled off to smooth. If that is an option for you with a painted trigger, it might be worth it, but his was stainless and finished product was the same for much much less. Plus, if you don't already have a Dremel, you get to buy another toy!

My springfield xd is at the custom shop. That was one of the options on the plastic trigger. Right now I am getting the barrel refitted for match grade accuracy and the combat trigger job with over travel adjustment done. I may send it back off in march when I come into some more money to have trijicon 3 dot night sights installed and the face of the trigger smoothed. Is that just an added thing to make the trigger less mushy or what?

Guest jackdm3

I wouldn't say that it lets it feel less mushy. Design engineers sometimes add textural differences to add strength. Example: A flat 4x8 piece of sheet metal is very flexible and weak. But you form it into corrugated steel and it strenthens. I think the groove vs. smooth is only a comfort thing. If they offer it, we can assume their engineers deem that the trigger will still be strong after it's been shaved off a few mils.

If I remember correctly XD's have the little lines running down the surface of their triggers, sometimes called "target triggers", you also find them on Glock compacts and subcompacts too. Personally, I hate them and swear they contribute to me sometimes pulling shots left every now and again so I much prefer the smooth face trigger without any lines like you 'll find on a full size Glock like a G17 (I've actually dropped in a G17 smooth trigger into every G19 or G26 I've ever had right off the bat). It's a feel thing.

FYI, in the future if you want work done to your XD I'd say skip Springfield and go to Springer Precision, Scott and Co. rule, and will do twice as much good work for half the money, they're the go to guys for XD magic.

(BTW, he might have saved you some money and probably would have talked you out of match fitting a barrel too since good ol' practice will usually get you tighter groups than a match fit barrel will in those type of guns, bone stock most of those guns will shoot 1 hole groups out to 15yrds in good hands, a match fit barrel may only shrink those holes a tiny bit and be maybe an inch or so more accurate once you're out to 25yrds and out... Ammo or the alignment of the stars may matter more:)).

Edited by CK1
If I remember correctly XD's have the little lines running down the surface of their triggers, sometimes called "target triggers", you also find them on Glock compacts and subcompacts too. Personally, I hate them and swear they contribute to me sometimes pulling shots left every now and again so I much prefer the smooth face trigger without any lines like you 'll find on a full size Glock like a G17 (I've actually dropped in a G17 smooth trigger into every G19 or G26 I've ever had right off the bat). It's a feel thing.

FYI, in the future if you want work done to your XD I'd say skip Springfield and go to Springer Precision, Scott and Co. rule, and will do twice as much good work for half the money, they're the go to guys for XD magic (BTW, he might have saved you some money and probably would have talked you out of match fitting a barrel too since good ol' practice will usually get you tighter groups than a match fit barrel will in those type of guns, bone stock they'll shoot 1 hole groups out to 15yrds in good hands, a match fit barrel may only shrink those holes a tiny bit and be maybe an inch more accurate once you're out to 25yrds and out).

Actually they wanted 150 bucks for the trigger job and change the springs out which could cause light strikes. Springfield charges 145 and does not use lighter springs than normal so as not to cause light strikes.

PISTOLGEAR | YOUR ONE-STOP SHOP FOR ALL THINGS PISTOL

The disclaimer clearly states.

"If you reload and or use "hard" primer such as Winchester or CCI, you may need to use your stock striker spring." this is the same kit that springer precision uses.

Edited by Alpha7
Actually they wanted 150 bucks for the trigger job and change the springs out which could cause light strikes. Springfield charges 145 and does not use lighter springs than normal so as not to cause light strikes.

PISTOLGEAR | YOUR ONE-STOP SHOP FOR ALL THINGS PISTOL

The disclaimer clearly states.

"If you reload and or use "hard" primer such as Winchester or CCI, you may need to use your stock striker spring." this is the same kit that springer precision uses.

Wow. I'm surprised... I got a quote from Scott to Ionbond a gun and to do a trigger job on another and both quotes were really reasonable (this was over a year ago though). Didn't know about the spring thing.

Well, good luck, you probably went the right way as far as staying with stock springs inside your trigger/striker... I tried a reduced power striker in a Glock for a while and it was a sucky experience to be sure.

They do charge five dollars less to to shave the face on the trigger though. at 25.00 True glow tritium sets sights are only 80.00 so that is a good price. They want 45 dollars less for their match grade barrels.

Other than that they are higher on everything.

Plus springfield paid the shipping their way and I will pay for return shipping. It is also going to the repair shop while it is there because when you have twelve rounds in the magazine and one in the chamber the magazine will not eject until you rack the slide and clear the one from the chamber.

The whole tungsten guiderod thing is really a pricey myth... If you're after reducing muzzle flip you just go to a lower strength recoil spring, it's physics and science.

Stinks your gun is having issues, sounds like the mag catch.

Just wondering, but are you setting you XD up for competition? If so, keep in mind that before you spend a ton of loot that XD's end up running in classes head to head against single-action 1911-types and such... If you're not careful you could end up with an expensive Xd that won't out shoot a box stock STI Spartan in your same class...

The whole tungsten guiderod thing is really a pricey myth... If you're after reducing muzzle flip you just go to a lower strength recoil spring, it's physics and science.

Stinks your gun is having issues, sounds like the mag catch.

Just wondering, but are you setting you XD up for competition? If so, keep in mind that before you spend a ton of loot that XD's end up running in classes head to head against single-action 1911-types and such... If you're not careful you could end up with an expensive Xd that won't out shoot a box stock STI Spartan in your same class...

It does suck. It has done that since day one out of the box. I reckon them croations got a little crazy with it and messed it up some way.

True glow tritium sets sights are only 80.00 so that is a good price.

I put TruGlow TFOs on my XDm 9mm, and can't recommend them enough. Yes, they're pricier than straight tritium night sights, but you also get the benefit of having fiber optic sights in medium to bright light.

Check them out before you decide on what sights to buy. They'll run another $40-50, but if the gun is a keeper over the long term, I think the money is well-spent. :screwy:

My springfield xd is at the custom shop. That was one of the options on the plastic trigger. ..

Both my XDs have steel triggers.

The center "safety" part is plastic or alloy, but the actual trigger with the striations is steel. Surely yours is, too?

- OS

Yup, the triggers are medal.

I also second the TFO sights. Although, they're not 50 bucks more...more like 20 from most online sellers(100 bucks vs the 80 for the others you posted).

They can be installed by anyone with a sight puller, or a dowel and hammer.