1911 Help

Capbyrd

I picked up a SA loaded over the weekend and it is a second or third hand gun. Everything appears to be in good shape other than being a little dirty. But...

The trigger. There are a couple of things that bother me about the trigger. First is it has a little bit of play side to side and top to bottom. Is this normal? Its not a lot but it is enough to bother me a little. Secondly, it is the silver trigger is a bit dirty. I want to replace it with a black trigger. How hard is that? Completely new to the 1911 so I appreciate all the advice I can get here.

1911.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 10mm4me

A little play is normal.Vault tight parts affect reliability and this is one step up from the GI model.It is a shooter .Trading out triggers is a very easy thing to do.And I hate you because I want this gun and cannot find one.

Drop in parts are only drop in about half the time. Depending on what trigger you put in there it might work fine. But most of the time I find that I will need to take some of the material off the shoe for the trigger to flow free. It must move freely in the channel. And if it has a overtravel screw you will need to know how to adjust it.

Your best chance of avoiding most or all of this is to get a SA trigger.

A little play is normal.Vault tight parts affect reliability and this is one step up from the GI model.It is a shooter .Trading out triggers is a very easy thing to do.And I hate you because I want this gun and cannot find one.

Guns and Ammo in Memphis had one a few days ago.

I know you said you're probably going to just get an SA trigger or just send it to them.. But... One of the coolest things about 1911's is you can add to them by choosing from literally thousands of possibilities...

I'd recommend checking out Fusion for some cool hop up parts if you may want to go that route, thinking I might see if I can find a good solid knock around 1911 and build it up with some of his things myself: www.fusionfirearms.com

And I would highly recommend staying away from there. Cant stand them and they are typically priced for Memphis.

Ha...you mean Guns and A__Holes! The guys at the one in Memphis suck (except the old guy who covers the revolver area). The guys at the one in Southhaven are much nicer. Smaller selection, but good people.

Ok, this thread is from a 1911 forum. This guy Dave Severns does masterful work. Replaced this guy's trigger with a black one...

Sarge's revamped CCO (With a special guest) - 1911Forum

Dave is a master. I love his work.

There are a million things you can do with a 1911. Dropping in a new trigger is fairly easy. You will need to adjust the overtravel. But it isn't hard. Some slop is ok.

I know this will sound boring. But knowing what I know now about 1911's I would buy a large stock of ammo and shoot the snot our of it. You will be much more familiar with the pistol, then start making changes.

COTEP (47)

I second the shoot the snot out of it motion. That is a beautiful pistol, if you do send it in please keep us updated. Wait a minute, my Mil-Spec has a black trigger. I don't know how to remove it so maybe we could just trade pistols for convenience sake... :screwy:

I second the shoot the snot out of it motion. That is a beautiful pistol, if you do send it in please keep us updated. Wait a minute, my Mil-Spec has a black trigger. I don't know how to remove it so maybe we could just trade pistols for convenience sake... :screwy:

Ha...you mean Guns and A__Holes! The guys at the one in Memphis suck (except the old guy who covers the revolver area). The guys at the one in Southhaven are much nicer. Smaller selection, but good people.

Yeah that's them. I try to stay away from there as much as possible.

I know this will sound boring. But knowing what I know now about 1911's I would buy a large stock of ammo and shoot the snot our of it. You will be much more familiar with the pistol, then start making changes.

That doesn't sound boring at all. And as soon as I find some, I fully intend to spend a day at the range with about 1000 rounds. Since, this will be my primary carry piece, I want to be very familiar with it.

Dropping in a trigger can be easy, or hard, or dangerous, depending on the parts. I recently replaced my hammer and sear in my 1911. When I did so the trigger bow was long enough that it engaged the sear even with the grip safety engaged. It would also drop to half cock when closed the slide from slide lock.

I really like the trigger (it's a Caspian flat aluminum trigger, one of those "love it or hate it" deals), and I tried for hours to get it dialed in, but it could not get it to function safely. I put the stock STI trigger back in and it works perfectly.

Moral of the story - don't assume that any part is "drop-in," and don't go shoot it before you perform all appropriate safety checks. Twice.

Just my $0.02.

They have em at the gun show all the time. My buddy bought a stainless one for 850 with the rosewood grips like and paid 249.00 for crimson trace laser grips for it. Its a tack driver for sure.