Buying a Gun off of GOC

Sidewinder

Just wondering if others run into this same problem. A guy has a gun listed for sale. I'm interested in buying the gun. I contact the guy via computer and ask questions about the gun. I also ask for more close up pics. He says the one posted is the only pic he has of the gun. He answered two very rudimentary questions: does the gun have any rust or pitting, and is there any cracks or splits in the stock or forearm. He ignored two emails after that. Then finally responded ... call me xxx-xxx-xxxx.

I'm very interested in buying the gun, but want to know more before I make a long drive (2 1/2 hours) to look at it. Do you guys think he is hiding something about the gun, or that possibly the gun is stolen, or he just thinks he can fast talk on the phone? Thanks for your insight into this situation.

"To anger a Conservative, lie to him. To anger a Liberal, tell him the truth." Theodore Roosevelt

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't drive that far for a gun that might be crap. However, I have noticed that on GOC a lot of people aren't very computer literate. Many don't list prices or even a decent picture. I get the feeling that for the most part they're grown ups with bigger fish to fry.

I wouldnt drive very far at all if the dude isnt willing to send you better pics. I was looking at an optic and i asked for extra pics so I could tell if it was a real or knockoff aimpoint, he sent some shots but not what I wanted, I asked for more and he ignored, I blew it off.

He may not have the gun.Kinda like a jewler if you want a high end watch or a string of pearls you tell them what you are lookin for and the next day they have 3 or 4 for you to look at.

The seller may be selling for a person and not have the info.Call and feel him out.I have had the same experience on gun broker,if they dont answer or have good pics I move on.Dont get me wrong about gun broker,I have bought some fine handguns with 0 problems on the site.

...I'd say the guy is most likely a retard.

Sounds like it to me too.

I sold a gun on GOC. I had 3 emails within a few hours. I sent back more pictures and any info requested and the gun was sold within 12 hours.

If you really want to sell something you have to give prospective buyers the info necessary for them to make the decision to spend their money on your item and also you have to make the buyer trust the seller as much as possible. This guy is not doing that. I would pass him by!

call him and asked questions. you will get a better feel this way.

+1. Some of those folks are strange characters. Give him a call. Ask the Serial Number. Have it checked. I stumbled on a heck of a deal on my VEPR K using that sight. He was a WAYYYYYYYY strange guy, bad pictures, but the deal on my rifle was outstanding. You never know...

+1. Some of those folks are strange characters. Give him a call. Ask the Serial Number. Have it checked. I stumbled on a heck of a deal on my VEPR K using that sight. He was a WAYYYYYYYY strange guy, bad pictures, but the deal on my rifle was outstanding. You never know...

The best plan would be to meet at a police station/Sheriff's office to do the transaction. I cannot run a serial number unless a gun is in front of me, so just having the serial number won't get you too far.

I've bought and sold several guns on GOC but also have walked away from a few deals that just didn't "feel" right(also walked away from one on this site for the same reason). There are crooks on GOC just like any other site. Buyer Beware!!

Guest 70below

I'd say give him a call. Some people just prefer talking to the person they're dealing with on there. Particularly since there are a few wack jobs on there on both sides of the fence.

Sometimes a deal that sounds to good to be true isn't, that is why I recommend going to check it out. Police station deal sounds good. If it's stolen he will not want to meet you obviously. Dad got a left handed custom muzzle loader made in the mid 1800's for 800 and sold it for 9k.

Guest Caveman

There are a hundred posibilities as to why this person is acting this way. Maybe they are not computer savy and type slow, and would rather talk about the gun over the phone. Maybe they want to talk with you to make sure you are not shady. Maybe they have limited internet access and have trouble returning emails promptly. I would just call them up and go from there. BUT, after your phone call, if you still have a funny feeling then go with your gut.