32 members have voted

1. 1. detail strip or not

• Detail strip it ya wimp
    • Don't be stupid, leave it alone

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not the simplest gun in the world. By a long shot. I would keep the internet directions handy the first time through.

But it cracks me up how scared people are of the MkII... even just field-stripping the stupid thing. It's not that hard if you understand what you're actually trying to align when reassembling. If you're just rolling the gun around trying to get the stupid mainspring latch to close, it's going to be a while.

Guest biggun215

I HAVE ONE I GOT FROM MY EX-WIFES UNCLE AND IT HAS BEEN THROUGH HELL AND BACK. WHEN I GOT IT I TOOK IT APART TO CLEAN IT, EVEN THOUGH IT GAVE ME NO PROBLEMS. I LEARNED QUICKLY I MADE A HUGE MISTAKE. I HAD TO TAKE IT TO MY DEPARMTENT ARMORER TO GET IT BACK TOGETHER. HIS ONLY COMMENT WAS IF I EVER TOOK IT APART AGAIN DONT BRING IT BACK TO HIM TO FIX CAUSE IT WAS A PAIN IN THE BUTT. I HAVE ANOTHER ONE THAT HAS NEVER BEEN BROKEN DOWN AND IT SHOOTS GREAT.

Not much to say really. All that was predicted was true. Pain in the ass to re-assemble. You have to insert and remove the magazine a couple of times and pull the trigger to be able to properly align parts. Not much was gained by stripping it.

It did not take a couple of minutes to take it apart, and it should not take more than a couple to re-assemble.

It took me about three tries of stripping and re-assembling to get it back together without a struggle. The first time was impossible without aid. So I watched the Ruger video and also looked at a instructions. The magazine thing is annoying, but I think I have it figured out.

I am going to do it again tonight and see if I remember. Should not take five minutes total.

• 2 weeks later...
If you haven't already found this site it is a great ref for working with your MK (insert number here)

2245 Maintenance Page

links for most things you will need on it at the top of the page.

Great link, wish I had know about it when I first got my Mk II. I found out the hard way how to get the hammer strut in the right position.

Now, I detail strip mine like they do in the link each time I shoot it. I only take the hammer assebly off every 1500 rounds or so and it still shoots as good as the day I bought it.

What a great pistol, huh?