11-87 will not cycle

I purchased a used 11-87 Super Mag back in the fall, and finally got a chance to shoot it 2 weeks ago, only to find out it won't cycle.

I tried heavy 2 /34" as well as 3" shells - no cycle.

When I bought the gun, it had an odd setup in there - piston/piston seal, activator (for 2 /34" shells), then TWO rubber gas chamber seals instead of one. I never shot it in this configuration - first thing I did was order and install a new piston seal kit from Brownells (figuring it would be a good thing to do with a used gun - yeah me.)

I have spent the last 2 hours trying every configuration I can come up with from the used and new parts, and was only able to get it to cycle ONCE, and that was with the used piston, activator, and two gas cylinder seals. I tore it back down to try the NEW piston, only to get a half cycle (shell caught in the chamber in ejection). Ever since then - no combination works, even the one I got to cycle once.

Does anyone have any tips to try? This can't be rocket science, and I hate the idea of paying a gunsmith to do this for me...

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I purchased a used 11-87 Super Mag back in the fall, and finally got a chance to shoot it 2 weeks ago, only to find out it won't cycle.

I tried heavy 2 /34" as well as 3" shells - no cycle.

When I bought the gun, it had an odd setup in there - piston/piston seal, activator (for 2 /34" shells), then TWO rubber gas chamber seals instead of one. I never shot it in this configuration - first thing I did was order and install a new piston seal kit from Brownells (figuring it would be a good thing to do with a used gun - yeah me.)

I have spent the last 2 hours trying every configuration I can come up with from the used and new parts, and was only able to get it to cycle ONCE, and that was with the used piston, activator, and two gas cylinder seals. I tore it back down to try the NEW piston, only to get a half cycle (shell caught in the chamber in ejection). Ever since then - no combination works, even the one I got to cycle once.

Does anyone have any tips to try? This can't be rocket science, and I hate the idea of paying a gunsmith to do this for me...

Did the extractor still have a good hold on shell rim when it only cycled half way?

Meaning, for sure the bolt didn't go all the way back, but leave the shell?

(just narrowing down that it's not purely an extractor issue?)

- OS

Did the extractor still have a good hold on shell rim when it only cycled half way?

Meaning, for sure the bolt didn't go all the way back, but leave the shell?

(just narrowing down that it's not purely an extractor issue?)

- OS

I didn't even consider this could be an extractor issue :facepalm: I'll have to do some more testing and see - thanks!

Make sure the gas port on the barrel is not clogged up. Just something else to check.

Gas port was cleaned and obstruction free prior to, and during testing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought a new 11-87 last fall and just shipped it back to Remington today due to an autoloading problem. I work at a facility that has several 11-87 guns and the new gun had a different carrier release on the bottom. It was longer than the other guns we have. What I found is that in the cycle as the shell comes out of the magazine it hangs momentarily on the carrier release. This shuts the whole process down with the carrier in the open position. I believe that Remington made the release longer to be able to push the shells in easier. This is probably the case on your Mag version. Ours are not mags so they may have just put the wrong release on the gun. Anyway, it should still be under warranty.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...