Walther PK380 Pros and Cons

Guest BigMitch

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been watching it since it was announced. Actually went to the gun store to buy one and fondled it. Walked out with a 1911, but the PK is still on my list. From what I've read and seen...

Pro's:

Nice shooter, real nice fit in the hand

Reliable, locked breech design. not blowback like most .380's

Slide is easy to rack, low recoil for a .380. Great girl gun.

Cons:

It's big for a .380

Slide does not lock open

Requires a take-down tool

I've been watching it since it was announced. Actually went to the gun store to buy one and fondled it. Walked out with a 1911, but the PK is still on my list. From what I've read and seen...

Pro's:

Nice shooter, real nice fit in the hand

Reliable, locked breech design. not blowback like most .380's

Slide is easy to rack, low recoil for a .380. Great girl gun.

Cons:

It's big for a .380

Slide does not lock open

Requires a take-down tool

American rifleman basically says its junk for the price and has alot of malfunction problems. They actually recommended a 300 some odd dollar gun (taurus 738 tcp) over it.

Although not having shot one I've been a happy walther owner for many years in their P99 series. I always tend to notice though that when a company goes off on a tangent and builds something new to compete it will either take a while to bring it up to par with their others products or it will fall flat on it's face and take an added effort to recover. Knowing Walther if there are flaws in the design I am sure they will be improved upon. I hope so at least, every gun I've had from them has been superb and it would be a shame to ruin the good thing they have going on.

All:_________

I would never discount the quality of a walther anything based on one review. Remember this: A full 90% of problems with semiauto pistols can be traced to magazine problems. Most of these problems can be fixed with the replacement of the magazine spring or follower. That being said; i like the PK380. I like the size as compared to the "tiny" 380's that are hard to hang on to. I like the bigger adjustable sights. The pistol is a locked breech design, and will stand hotter loads than a blowback model. I like the external hammer too (old fashioned!!). In reading the same American Rifleman Article that noted the malfunction; i noticed the highest recorded velocities came from the Walther. This is directly due to the longer barrel.

The only other 380 i really like is the Sig 238. Another locked breech, external hammer pistol. The problem with them is that they cost about twice as much, and you cant find one.

Oh well, i need to quit opining; i have talked myself into going to buy one. I think they are a great deal for around $300+ clams.

Kind regards,

Leroy