Wondering about Prodigy value

Someone wants to trade me a customized Prodigy. I know stock they go for around $1400.

This guy has all new guts, trigger,ignition system, safety etc. And some kind of aluminum 'grip', (or what I consider the frame-lol)

And its cerakoated black. Not really my thing, but he says it worth $1750. The bike I'm selling is $1700

He says it was gunsmith built. Just wondering whats the consensus about his price?

Posted (edited)

I’d ask why a $1400 pistol needs to be basically rebuilt as it sounds.

I’m also of the opinion that if you’re  going to dump that kind of money to make all those modifications to a firearm then you’re also going to need to realize that the sum does not equal the whole.  In other words, don’t expect to recoup the cost you put into it unless you find the perfect buyer.

Do you like this pistol that has been modified to someone else’s specifications?  That’s really all that matters.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 4
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I’d ask why a $1400 pistol needs to be basically rebuilt as it sounds.

Because $1400 is cheap for a 2011 and Springfield throws a bunch of MIM part in it.  I have one with EGW/Red Dirt/Dawson guts and I've been very happy with it.  

OP, any idea what kind of aluminum grip he has?  Those are usually $500-600.  

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Garufa said:

Do you like this pistol that has been modified to someone else’s specifications?  That’s really all that matters

The likely scenario is that I will shoot that gun a few times, then sell it. Im hoping it will sell faster than the bike.

Here is the info about the mods

It has a PT Hero Aluminum Grip, Atlas perfect match ignition kit, SVI disconnector, Atlas Medium Trigger pulling at 3.0, SVI Ambi Safety, Fresh Cerakote, 2-17rnd, 1-20rnd extended, 1-18rnd Atlas TTI base. 

Edited by Tom B

I have learned a bit about these guns just googling. I thought the frame was polymer, but apparently its a steel frame with a polymer grip. And that is what was replaced with an aluminum one. I also learned that grip module is over $500.

I'd obviously want to know who the gunsmith was, and shoot the gun before making a deal.

Though it looks like the parts alone might be worth it. I'm assuming he has all the old parts also.

Posted (edited)

The Prodigy amounts to an intro 2011 - it's one of the cheapest available.  It's fairly common for people to buy them and upgrade some stuff.  The triggers are not particularly impressive out of the box, but neither are some more expensive 2011s (talking about you, Staccato).  The stock parts can be tuned, but MIM parts are sometimes problematic.  It looks like he has added almost $1000 in parts, plus $150 or so for two more magazines.  Most people add aluminum or steel grips for weight - the polymer grips are durable enough.  I changed many of the same parts on mine (except the grip), but I didn't spend anywhere near $1K.  The gun is probably well worth $1700 IF whoever put the parts in knew what he was doing and IF you actually want it.  I bet it's a shooter.  

Edited by deerslayer

Good news is if you arent a huge fan of it you can probably unload it fairly easily. If you prefer a 1911 I've got a Performance Center 1911 I'd drive to you and trade you for the Prodigy if you decide you don't like it. Comes with holsters and some ammo