mac 90

my82cam

all right guys, i'm looking at a mac 90 norinco. can you guys tell me the pro/ cons of the norinco mac90. i have heard great things about them. i don't care for the stock and would rather have the pistol grip. they can be converted correct? any info quick would be great, i'm trying to make my mind up to get it or not. thanks guys!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MAK90s are great AKs. Nice blued finish and built much better than most out there. The thumbhole stock has to go - way too small for my paws.

I have "debanned" 2 without a problem. Used tapco FCG, pistol grip, gas piston and brake. That's 6 US made parts for 922r. The butt stocks had to be fitted but that was easy. Ironwood Designs makes nice US made wood, it's just more than I wanted to spend. The 223 had a barrel nut spot welded in place. That was easy, cut the spot weld and install brake. The 7.62 was the right diameter, just had to thread it.

Guest 1817ak47

I can't tell you much, but everyone says they are a better one. from the research, the reciver is 1.6 mil thickness vs 1.0~ thickness, they also have a chrome lined barrel. try searching thru the forums on here someone had a really good informative link about hte mak-90's I just bought a nicely modded one less than 2 weeks ago

Guest TwoLaneBlackTop

Most of them feed pretty good, but the best drums are the original back loading Chinese drums. The top loading Romanian and Russian guns drums are exceptionally difficult to load.

MAK90s are great AKs. Nice blued finish and built much better than most out there. The thumbhole stock has to go - way too small for my paws.

I have "debanned" 2 without a problem. Used tapco FCG, pistol grip, gas piston and brake. That's 6 US made parts for 922r. The butt stocks had to be fitted but that was easy. Ironwood Designs makes nice US made wood, it's just more than I wanted to spend. The 223 had a barrel nut spot welded in place. That was easy, cut the spot weld and install brake. The 7.62 was the right diameter, just had to thread it.

what kind of cost could i expect with doing this to a mak-90?

You need 6 US made parts unless barrel is not threaded - then 5 US made parts.

FCG - 3

Pistol grip - 1

Slant brake -1

Gas piston - 1

Mag follower - 1

or US mag - 3

PM me about the parts.

Edited by 141FE

I took the easy way out on mine I took a wood draganov stock sanded it to fit receiver, cut out some more of the stock and then sanded the grip to make it smaller with some finger grooves It shorten the finger reach to the trigger. Could have done better job if I had been more patient but I'm pleased for time being. I have another I may try to improve on when I get time

Edited by laktrash

so, if i do the FCG (3) pistol grip(1) gas piston(1) and flash hider(1) that is 6 and it will be fine to use whatever mags, forearm, folder stock or wood stock that i want? is there another hard part on the inside that could be USA made so i can use a wood pistol grip instead of the tapco black. i think an ak looks best when it is all wood furniture or a nice underfold.

Edited by my82cam

They aren't hard to deban at all my buddy Guy did his very easily now he has two one with the dragnov sporter ATI stock and one with a Warsaw Pact buttstock and pistol grip neither of his muzzle's are threaded but they are both super nice guns.

A lot of people (including me) like the MAK-90 just "as is," thumbhole stock and all. All the stuff you do to it won't make it shoot any better. But, whatever floats your boat! Go for it!

+1 more or less I have a maadi arm with thumbhole and was going to convert but after adding the 1" recoil pad that installs with same screws 4 trap door plate changed the way it felt as has too short before (im 6'1"). . now its just fine. . .refinished mine in honey oak. . .looks pretty good. Now I understand its still not 922r compliant with 30 round mags but who's enforcing that anyway. . .just my 2 cents

Guest 1817ak47
Now I understand its still not 922r compliant with 30 round mags but who's enforcing that anyway. . .just my 2 cents

do we even really need to worry about that here anyway???

i always like to be legal, you never know when you are going to get pulled over for a speeding ticket or in an accident and have some cop feel like he has to prove something or find something wrong with the AK in your car and that you shouldn't have it. always best to play it safe IMO

I've had a MAK90 since around 94. In my opinion they are the best commercial AKs ever imported. I've played with several AKs over the years and never found one as accurate, or having the same quality of fit and finish. Mine has never failed to fire when I asked it to regardless of how I have abused it. As to furnishing it, I put black polymer furniture on it. Some folks were telling me to make it LOOK like an AK, I should do all the 922r stuff including replacing the trigger assembly. I disagree, since the nice trigger on the MAK90 is one of the things that make it the best. To avoid the 922r hassle I replaced the butt stock with a better "thumbhole" type stock. (See below) Other than furniture, the only change I made is to replace the original rear sight with a Williams Peep Sight, which I am very pleased with.

101_5580.jpg

TK47