Newbie question...revolver

Handsome Rob

I bought an older revolver to use as a throw around truck/hunting pack gun. Please bear in mind that I have ZERO handgun experience & yes, I realise I probably should've asked this before I handed over the small amount of cash I spent.

Should there be a gap between the front of the cylinder & the back of the barrel?

The gun I bought has a gap of about 1/16" & I'm a little worried about shooting it (I guess I'm a little leery of escaping gasses, misalignment, blowing my own frikkin' hands off, etc...) Should I be, or is this perfectly normal & I'm an idiot?

:cheers:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, okay :cheers:

It's an old Spanish S&W model 10 copy (I recently bought it from Coldblackwind) in 32-30 I've managed to date it to somewhere around 1930s-ish vintage. The frame & barrel are in surprisingly good condition (structurally speaking)

Other than it lookin like steamrolled crap, everything is tight & seems to work perfectly, just wasn't sure about this gap thang.

Similar....

I've not been able to find a picture identical to this gun, but from what I've been able to discover, there were several factories in Eibar, Spain that manufactured Smith model 10 & Colt Police copies in 32WCF caliber during the late '20s through to the early '40s. I think that mine was made by FRN, but the stamping is very worn & hard to read.

pistol002.jpg

pistol001.jpg

Mine was a Spanish 38 with some strange proof marks that I could never identify. I bought it before I knew what to look for. It had a huge cylinder gap. I would guess that it bordered on an 1/8" or more. I fired it a few times but the flames that came out of the front of the cylinder scared me off of it.

That is normal. That is why it is ill advised to have your finger anywhere near the front of the cylinder while firing.

Normal construction of a revolver.

Your fear of escaping gasses, etc. is well founded. That's called "cylinder gap blast" and while it won't "blow your hand off", it's still no fun. As bkelm advises, keep all of your digits well behind that cylinder gap.

BTW.....you mention ZERO handgun experience. I recall that you are not eligible for a Handgun Carry Permit, but you could still take the course for the training value.

Edited by BigPoppa

BTW.....you mention ZERO handgun experience. I recall that you are not eligible for a Handgun Carry Permit, but you could still take the course for the training value.

I'm just looking for an 'Introduction to Handguns' course, or something similar, as we speak.

Hi:

I also have Spanish copy of a S&W/Colt revolver in .32/20 caliber.

Please do not fire 32/20 ammo in your revolver-DANGEROUS!!

I would not fire it at all. These weapons were manufactured in the 1920-1930 era of questionable metal.

If push comes to shove .32 S&W/Colt Long ammo might be Ok.

I am sorry to "Rain on Your Parade" but I don't want you to injury yourself.

Jimmy

Guest coldblackwind

This gun has had 32-20 through it rob, it's fine. Fell free to bring it up to the house if you want, I'd be more than happy to let you try it out here if you like, and play with it a little. Oh, and do NOT shoot anything other than 32-20 in it. Any other is the wrong casing, and THAT would be dangerous!

Edited by coldblackwind