So if a guy wanted to build an AK..

Metalhead

Myself and a friend built my AR (well, mostly him, I supplied the beer), and now I have the itch to replace the AK I sold a couple years ago. Would building one be the cheapest/easiest route to go? I've seen parts kits online that include everything less the receiver for sub $300, and receivers are cheap as well. Would that be all a guy would need? Otherwise I'm gonna settle for a Century M70 Home Page.

I don't want bottom of the barrel like a WASR or a IO Inc gun, but I dont want to pay for a Polytech or Norinco like I let go. :)

Yes, I am AK ignorant for the most part.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's so wrong with a wasr lately? Mine is great. While not the top of the line I dunno if it could have been beat for the price.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the wasr. The m70 is built a little better (no magazine wobble, thicker reciever and a little better parts like trigger and a few other minor things). But on the flip side if you can get your hands on a bulgarian reciever building wouldn't be to bad either.

Guest Traumaslave

I built mine with help from a friend. If you get a flat for a receiver, your will need a press and a jig to bend the flat. A drill, to take the parts kit apart. Then you will have to decide either screws (PITA) or rivits. Rivits will require a tool which can be fashioned from bolt cutters. Not difficult to do. You can buy a receiver which is 100% and skip bending but, then it has a serial number. I bought my parts kit years ago when they were $95 so I only have about $150 in mine. hard to get away that cheap these days.

If you want to have something that is not of the usual, then go the parts kit route, that is what i am doing, just waiting for $$ for certain stuff. this way would cost more specially if you have someplace like underworld or what not assemble it for you. But if you want just a regular looking AK then go with a pre assembled one, M70's are nice, but get one from Arsenal, I am sure you can get some sort of dealer price from them or K-var, they are by far the best AK's in the market right now at a super cheap price.

If you want to have something that is not of the usual, then go the parts kit route, that is what i am doing, just waiting for $$ for certain stuff. this way would cost more specially if you have someplace like underworld or what not assemble it for you. But if you want just a regular looking AK then go with a pre assembled one, M70's are nice, but get one from Arsenal, I am sure you can get some sort of dealer price from them or K-var, they are by far the best AK's in the market right now at a super cheap price.

I looked at two arsenals and to be honest the Century m70 looked to me like it was made as well or better. I'm sure I will open up a can on that statement. But to be honest for a little cheaper, I went with the m70 and it just looks meand as crap. Each to their own but I think th m70 is one of the finest built guns century has ever produced. Also the barrell on the m70 isn't chrome lined which some say makes it more accurate.

I can't back up this statement but by father has a Norinco underfold and my m70 seems built just as well. But this is only my opinion. The only downside for some is I wouldn't shoot surplus corrosive ammo out of the m70 due to the lack of chrome lining on the Yugo models.

Guest 73challenger
I built mine with help from a friend. If you get a flat for a receiver, your will need a press and a jig to bend the flat. A drill, to take the parts kit apart. Then you will have to decide either screws (PITA) or rivits. Rivits will require a tool which can be fashioned from bolt cutters. Not difficult to do. You can buy a receiver which is 100% and skip bending but, then it has a serial number. I bought my parts kit years ago when they were $95 so I only have about $150 in mine. hard to get away that cheap these days.

So receivers do not have to be heat treated?

Building an AK is easy ..... if you have all the jigs, welding equipment, rivet tools etc. The easiest and best route is a Saiga conversion. If you want to go full out after that it will give you a lot of insight into what a full build would entail.

Having built a bunch of them, if you're just wanting an AK go buy one. If, on the other hand, you like fooling with them, using a file, hammer, pliers, bigger hammer, punches, rivets etc. then there's nothing like making one and being able to say you did it all yourself. You can heat treat just the FCG holes with a propane torch so that's not a big deal. Having all the other tools is nice and the build can come out real spiffy.

Make one 'cause you want to make one, not 'cause you just want an AK. Used to be able to build one for really cheap. Probably not a whole lot of difference now in the price of a ready-made one considering the price of parts kits these days.

Guest Traumaslave
If you bend it from a flat, yes. If you buy it already bent and treated no.

Ditto. I did forget the small amount of welding required along with the heat treating.

It sounds like building one is going to be more trouble than it's worth to me. I think I will just buy a pre-fab AK.

I looked into it too and am buying a built gun. Hungarian AMD-65 ;)

Those are evil looking for sure. I looked at one of those as well. It took 3 months for my gun to find me.

I never really like the way the front pistol grip, or the wire stock looked so decided on this one I'd go my own way. I really don't like the looks of this add on folding stock either, preferring the one that requires modification to the rear trunion, but I picked this one up pretty cheap off a forum so had to go with it.

I've got a Romy with a front pistol grip and it shoots and feels fine. I built this one just to be different all the way around.