I need to buy a gun

Guest uofmeet

Guest uofmeet

And i am pretty sure i want a regular size, semi-auto for my first gun. I am trying to keep my price around or below $500 and i am willing to go for a good used gun. I tend to like shooting the heavier guns also, so i figured since i can only have one for now, i will go with something like that. Yes, i know carrying a heavy gun around will get old, but you have to start somewhere. And i am thinking i want a .40 cal. So, if you could please throw out some idea's.

What and why?

And if you do carry it, or have, pros and cons.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jackdm3

That's the kind of thing someone says when they rush into a gunshop!

ADDITION: I carry a .40 Beretta 96 everywhere and I frequently check to see if it's still there, it's become that comfortable. With the heavier slide, the recoil is beautiful! No tip up or FTF except with crap reloads.

Edited by jackdm3

Standard answer, go to a shop with a range (most are indoors) that rents guns, try what feels good in your hand. All the major brands offer a full size 40. Most are around 500 or up. Take your time and enjoy the hunt, that's one of the great pleasures of this hobby is finding the perfect gun for your self. Good luck.:) Don't own a 40 so I can't make any recomendations there. I shoot 45s, 9s, 38s, and 22s.

I love the 1911 pistols, in .45. I carry one almost everyday, and it's no lightweight, but you get used to it. If you want a .40, it would be hard to beat the Glock 22 or 23, if it fits your hand. Glocks have a well earned reputation for reliability and durability, and is in your price range as well.

Blued XD 40 4 Inch service models

To see offers from all Gun Genie Retailers within 25 50 100 miles, please click button below.

TOP BRASS SPORTS INC MSRP: $549.00

(View Retailer Information)

Sale Price:$505.03Addit'l Fees:$38.95Tax:$46.72Sub Total:$590.69DEPOSIT:($137.25)BALANCE DUE:$453.44acceptoffer.jpg 51 PAWN MSRP: $549.00

Sale Price:$465.94Addit'l Fees:$29.95Tax:$43.10Sub Total:$538.99DEPOSIT:($137.25)BALANCE DUE:$401.74acceptoffer.jpg MR CASH PAWN SHOP MSRP: $549.00 You wont find a better price anywhere, thank you for your attention.

Sale Price:$470.79Addit'l Fees:$28.95Tax:$43.55Sub Total:$543.29DEPOSIT:($137.25)BALANCE DUE:$406.04acceptoffer.jpg

In the event that you need to close this Gun Genie transaction, please click button below.

And the stainless like I have

Your Results:

Below you will find offers from your 3 closest * Gun Genie Retailers. Be sure to consider store location, reputation and special promotions as well as the sales price offered. Simply click "ACCEPT OFFER" and we will arrange the shipment of this firearm to the selected retailer.

To see offers from all Gun Genie Retailers within 25 50 100 miles, please click button below.

TOP BRASS SPORTS INC MSRP: $616.00

Sale Price:$565.21Addit'l Fees:$38.95Tax:$52.28Sub Total:$656.44DEPOSIT:($154.00)BALANCE DUE:$502.44acceptoffer.jpg 51 PAWN MSRP: $616.00

Sale Price:$521.46Addit'l Fees:$29.95Tax:$48.23Sub Total:$599.64DEPOSIT:($154.00)BALANCE DUE:$445.64acceptoffer.jpg MR CASH PAWN SHOP MSRP: $616.00 You wont find a better price anywhere, thank you for your attention.

Sale Price:$526.89Addit'l Fees:$28.95Tax:$48.74Sub Total:$604.58DEPOSIT:($154.00)BALANCE DUE:$450.58acceptoffer.jpg

• Moderators
Standard answer, go to a shop with a range (most are indoors) that rents guns, try what feels good in your hand. All the major brands offer a full size 40. Most are around 500 or up. Take your time and enjoy the hunt, that's one of the great pleasures of this hobby is finding the perfect gun for your self. Good luck.:) Don't own a 40 so I can't make any recomendations there. I shoot 45s, 9s, 38s, and 22s.

+1 Range USA on Whitten has a nice selection in the rental case. I would also recommend to try some of the .45 and 9mm handguns as all are capable calibers and you might be surprised what gun best fits you. Drop any preconceived notions that you may have and put some trigger time in before making a decision.

Just my .02

Take a look at the S&W M&P. I've got the full size 40 and love how it fits my hand and points well. Some folks don't like the trigger compared to Glocks but it's not bad. (I recently added an aftermarket Apex Tactical sear that drops to pull down to a little under 4 pounds and cuts the reset distance almost in half. As soon as I get a chance to get it out to the range I'll post up a report.)

New will run you over your $500 target but not enough to rule it out.

Guest uofmeet

Yeah, i plan on hitting up range USA maybe this friday for date night and taking a lot of their 40's for a spin. Let me try this, any gun maker you think i should stay away from? and thanks for all the info so far.....

S&W, SA, Glock, Ruger, all good choices. at 500 you have a good selection of weapons to choose from new and used. Like others suggested, hit a range rental and see what you like.

If your still undecided post again with your initial thoughts and/or likings..

Guest PatriotCSA
Yeah, i plan on hitting up range USA maybe this friday for date night and taking a lot of their 40's for a spin. Let me try this, any gun maker you think i should stay away from? and thanks for all the info so far.....

Hi-point. You'd be better armed with a spoon than one of these.

Guest peacexxl

Try the Beretta PX4 Storm. I think they still have one in the rental case in .40. If I hadn't gone with the XD40 it was my next choice.

Hi-point. You'd be better armed with a spoon than one of these.

Ummm I think hi-point's are out of his price range. why even mention it. If the guy was asking about a $200 gun then we can start the hi-point war again. However, I'll put the hi-point in my tackle box up against anything else out there. It's got about 1000 rounds through, never cleaned, and goes bang every time.

Ill put my Hi-Point up against your spoon any day of the week.

Right on! and If I run out of ammo I can tie a rope to it and start swinging!

Edited by lowbud
Got to say I've got a High Point , not a single problem . The round count is around 4500 . :D Did not even clean it till after 1000 rounds . :cool:

I have one in the tackle box, fish scales, worm dirt, probably even a little rust. fires every time. Kinda hard to knock that....