Went to the local toy store... er... gun store today.

Guest Jamie

I have one with the stock rosewood grips. They still very managable even though you are basically holding it with one finger. It is pretty snappy, but not bad. You will not have any problem with the small grips. Main time is carry mine is when I am floating the river or around the farm. I keep about two or three rds of snake repellent with two or three rds of hollow points behind that to repell the larger problems. I also usually go with the cci, but I cannot remember the grain.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

keep in mind a 30 grain bullet is 3/4 or 75% the weight of a 40 grain. so a little addedxd velocity won't mean it is actually better, need that weight too. I remember looking on there and I was either going to use 40 or 50 grain bullets due to there test results with velocity and weight factored together for the deepest flesh penetration

That's exactly my thinking with this gun: It's tiny, and fires a tiny bullet, so best to get that bullet as deeply into the target as possible.

I'll have to do some testing some time, to see if the HPs will even expand from this gun, but even if they do ( which I doubt ), I still want to drive them as deeply as possible. And if they only go 3 or 4 inches and fragment, I'll stick to FMJ.

J.

Guest 1817ak47

best way to do penetrations tests are with phone books. but put the book in a box like package so the pages are flat against each other, otherwise the test will give meaningless results. we did a similiar thing with 22 lr from a 10/22 and did 2 shot eachs of about 5 different types of ammo and marked each spot. now phone books won't be a accurate expansion test IMHO, but will tell you how much depth and as a result tell you how much damage they compare, as when looking at faster speeds with lighter bullets and slower speeds with heavier bullets it's difficult to really tell what is most "destructive".

FYI in the long rifle ammo test with my walmart stainless 10/22 with about a 24" or so barrel and about 10ft I think it was stingers were a bit deeper than the other common lr ammo

best way to do penetrations tests are with phone books. but put the book in a box like package so the pages are flat against each other, otherwise the test will give meaningless results.

I always use 2 liter soda bottles, filled to the very top with water, and capped.

It's not the most scientific method, but it works for me. And if a round will make it completely through 3 of 'em, I'm happy. ( That's 6 heavy layers of plastic/polyester/Mylar/whatever the hell it is, and at least 12 inches of water )

J.

Edited by Jamie

I went out and fired a few more rounds through this thing today, and I have to say, the more I shoot it, the better I like it.

It seems quite accurate, for a gun small enough to hide in my cigarette pack. Hitting golf ball sized rocks and pine cones at 7 to 10 yards is a piece of cake, once you figure out how to line up the sights. The sights, by the way, are marginal at best, with the rear one being virtually non-existent. There's a slight rise in the rear of the frame with a slot down it's middle, but from behind the gun, the slot is nearly invisible. Because of this, the front sight is way too high, throwing the shots 6 to 8 inches low at 7 to 10 yards.

Holding up the entire front sight in the notch puts everything where it should be though, and I managed one 2-1/2 to 3 inch group on an old dead tree at the stated distance.

I think that adding the fixed rear sight off of NAA's Black Widow might bring the POI up to where it should be with the stock front sight, and I may send the folks at NAA an e-mail asking if that rear sight could be installed on this gun.

Then again, it works just fine as it is, if you know what to do with it. :lol:

The folding holster grip provides good control, and makes the little gun surprisingly easy to shoot. It wasn't hard on the hand and hasn't worked loose or had any other problems.

There were no malfunctions at all with the gun, and every round fired, despite the fact that the box I was shooting was nearly 2 decades old. But then, .22 mag just doesn't have the reliability problems that .22 LR does.

Oh, and as others have said before, there's no quick way of reloading this gun, especially in a fight. Once you use your 5 shots, the trouble had better be over, and you'd better be heading for home. :mad::D

So there you have it, a short, 30 rounds-worth shooting report on the NAA mini revolver in .22 magnum.

J.

Edited by Jamie
what reliability problems are ther with a 22lr that a 22 mag doesn't have?? no experience with 22 mag

.22 Lr is much more susceptible to moisture or oil contamination inside the shell casing. Also, the LRs apparently don't get the same degree of care in adding the primer compound to the rim. ( Might be a larger amount inside the mags too, due to a bigger rim. Not sure on that one, but it seems logical. )

The reason for the water/oil problem with the Long Rifles is the heel-type bullet they use; the bullet is the same diameter as the shell casing, but has a smaller diameter stub or heel that fits in the case mouth. The case is then heavily crimped onto this heel to hold the bullet in place. This area is not all that water-tight, and if you carry ammo around loose in your pocket, can loosen up even more... To the point that the bullet will wobble around on the case mouth. This lets stuff leak in and kill both the powder and primer. A heavy hand with the lube on your favorite .22 plinker, along with cheap ammo, and you can have almost as many misfires as you do good rounds.

.22 mag, being put together the same as the center fire ammo ( Bullet forced down into the case ), doesn't have the same problems.

In all my years of shooting .22 mag, I don't think I've had more than a few bad rounds... about the same number as I've had with center fire stuff.

Can't say the same for the .22 LR ammo... especially Federal Thunderbolts. ( Won't buy those anymore at all. )

J.

Guest 1817ak47

ok I see, I have seen quite a few lr that I could spin the bullet around while it was in the casing. and this awas new ammo, not stuff sitting in the bottom of a rusted beaten up toolbox