Well, Son of a B****

Guest 10mm4me

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I bought my first handgun...I went in KNOWING it would be denied...jumped through the hoops that ONE time...haven't had a problem since.

I did that one time too. Bought one knowing it was going to be denied, was up front with the shop owner as to why. Everything has been straight ever since.

Charges being dismissed and expunged were a big help. But the denial was reversed before the court date happened.

Guest Tn.Mitch

I bought about 10 guns from G&L in 2008,no problem,then in 2009,i tried to buy 3 guns,at diferent times,was turned down by TBI everytime.Those guys kniow me up there from buying so many guns and shooting at the range.They were surprised also.after a week or so the T.B.I. would finially shoot hem a e-mail telling them to go ahead with the sell,with no reason given as to why the hold up.After a while it got to be a problem for me and them,they had to hold the gun till it was ok,ed to sell it also having me call them everyday to see if they had heard anything about it....just a big hassel for everyone all around.Whane told me the only thing I could do is get a lawyer to check on it for me but,...why should I have to pay a lawyer to do that when its the T.B.I.s problem,ive had my HCP for a year????.They tease me at G&L tell me Obomba thinks I have enough guns allready...I remwember back when it took a week or 2 for everyone to get checked out(back in the 70's),before the new system was in place.it was all done by them sending in your applycation by mail.It took forever to get a call from the gun store to tell you it cleared,and you had too pay for the gun at the time you did the paperwork,and left the store empty handed....kinda like when ya leave a strip club.with nothhing but a smile and empty pockets.I bought a EMP 40 cal from Guns& Leather back in the late summer,and I havent tried again since then,its just too much of a hassel.Im the type of person ,that when I want something(I want it right now)not in 2 weeks.The T.B.I. has 2 weeks to turn you down or not...they would allways wait to the last day to clear me.The guys at the store told me that they have seen police officers done the same way..I just dont get it.They told me if it goes longer than 2 weeks,the T.B.I. has to send you a letter telling you why you were denied...it seems to me they just want to make me wait till the last minuite,just to be a ass to me....I just dont know...When any of you guys are up at Guns and Leather ask them about it im sure they will tell ya Its the truth.So to all you that dont have any problems buying...thank your lucky stars,that theres not someone that has a Name oe SS# that is like yours that keeps kicking you app. out for inspection,every time you go to buy.

Guest Boogieman
I went to pick up a G32 today and I was erroneously denied by the TBI. I have a

HCP, a secret clearance, a perfect record, I have never even had a speeding

ticket, I put my ss# to avoid this :rolleyes: and still this happened.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Anyone else had this happen?

After reading this I was scared to death I'd get denied when I made a purchase at the gun show saturday. Went through without a hitch.

OP, you ever get your G32?

Guest rockytop

About 8-10 years ago I was denied on a purchase of 3 guns.I had often been approved for many purchases before this denial. To make matters worse, I was 60 miles from home and I had been on a waiting list for 3 months. Add to that, I was a active HCP holder at the time. I filed an appeal the following day, but then didn't get a response notifing me of their receipt of appeal in the time frame they stated(one week). When I checked with the local TBI ofc. and explained my dilemma, the agent gave me a direct line to the Nashville HCP manager's office in Nashville. I got a holier than thou attitude from him refusing to even investigate the situation, until I ask for the TBI Director's Name and contact info. He was still an arrogant a**, but finally told me that substitute employees had been working that day while regular employees where attending his wife's funeral. They didn't even have a record of my application, so they apparently just threw away the appeal request. He still refused to send me or the FFL a letter admitting their screw-up. He said they didn't make mistakes but if they did they wouldn't acknoledge(sp?) them.

My only satisfaction was that I had had my son with me and the dealer sold them to him with an approval from the same crew. Before someone yells "straw purchase", the guns were originally intended to be gifts to him and his sister anyway.

Guest 10mm4me

It has been a week and I have heard nothing. I think I may try to buy a gun 2day to see what happens. That would be something. Pending denial from TBI while walking out the door with a new gun....Oh but don't worry the system works. I really love how there is no way for me to find out why I am being denied.

It has been a week and I have heard nothing. I think I may try to buy a gun 2day to see what happens. That would be something. Pending denial from TBI while walking out the door with a new gun....Oh but don't worry the system works. I really love how there is no way for me to find out why I am being denied.

They have 30 days to respond. You can call them and ask for the status. They will also send you something in the mail. keep in mind every time you do this you are suppose to pay $10 to the dealer for the TICS check. Some of them get this up front and some don't. either way it'll cost you another $10.

You can also have a background check done with TBI and NICS to see what is showing on your record.

Edited by lowbud
added more verbage
Guest bkelm18
I was under the impression that the TICS is waived if you have your HCP......Guess I was wrong.

Nope. You get a TICS check every time, regardless of if you have a HCP or not.

North Carolina is still that way. Plop your carry permit and money on the table, pick out what you want, and walk out...Like the Constitution intended.

There's something in the Constitution about have to pay for the privilege of exercising a right?

- OS

Guest 10mm4me
There's something in the Constitution about have to pay for the privilege of exercising a right?

- OS

Money referring to the cost of the firearm of course. This day and age I think NC is about as close to the Constitution as anybody's gonna get.

• 2 weeks later...
This day and age I think NC is about as close to the Constitution as anybody's gonna get.
Except for the fact that you have to buy a handgun purchase permit just to be able to buy, sell, inherit, or even give away a handgun.:screwy: Also, the Brady bunch says that NC has the toughest gun laws in the southeast, ranking 13th in the nation with California being 1st and Tennessee being tied for 33rd.
Guest blairellis
North Carolina is still that way. Plop your carry permit and money on the table, pick out what you want, and walk out...Like the Constitution intended.

So is Michigan, which is why I am waiting for my MI Permit, so I can buy a gun before transferring my residency to TN.

So is Michigan, which is why I am waiting for my MI Permit, so I can buy a gun before transferring my residency to TN.

Why in the world would you want to do that?

To purchase a handgun from either a dealer or private individual, the buyer must obtain a license to purchase from the chief of police if the buyer lives in a city, or the county sheriff if he lives in an area without an organized police department.

The buyer must be 18 years of age, a U.S. citizen, a resident of Michigan, have no felony conviction, have never been adjudged insane (unless later restored by court order), and score 70 percent on a basic pistol safety review questionnaire.

The license to purchase must be filled out in triplicate at the time of purchase. The license shall include a description of the handgun sold and the signatures of both the buyer and seller. The seller may retain one copy and the buyer retains the other two.

After purchase and delivery of the handgun is completed, the buyer must return the license to purchase along with the purchased handgun, unloaded and encased or trigger locked, to the local licensing (law enforcement) authority within 10 days.

The buyer (licensee) will then be issued a safety inspection certificate (registration) for the handgun. One copy of the license will be held by the local authority for six years and the remaining copy shall be forwarded to the Commissioner of State Police. The license, once issued, becomes void if not used within 10 days.

A valid Michigan CCW holder is exempt from license to purchase requirement, however is still subject to the registration requirements and a criminal background (NICS) check.