EDC knives...Let's see 'em!

Guest broncobuddha

Guest broncobuddha

Didn't see a carry knife thread and since I just got one, I thought I'd start a thread to post them up.

Just got a steal (friend price) on a new Emerson Commander. Wow, what a nice knife. Love the wave feature.

Emerson.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mtsumatt

I carry either a Kershaw 1910

ks1910.jpg

or a CRKT 1910 Carbon Fiber "Little Bulldog" (one of the lightest knives I've ever carried. Hate they quit making these many years ago)

CRK-M16-00F.jpg

• Admin Team

It's good. Only got the basics - good blade, philips screwdriver, flathead screwdriver, pliers (and bottle opener). I replaced a Leatherman Skeletool CsX with it. It's smaller, lighter, and has a better blade than the Leatherman. Plus, unlike the Leatherman, the tool doesn't dig into your hand when using the pliers, and it doesn't have a habit of nicking your thumb everytime you try and get one of the flat screwdrivers out. I like it.

Oh yeah... the screwdrivers both lock as well. A good feature for anyone who has ever had a stupid pocket knife screwdriver fold up on them.... I'm looking at you Victorinox.

I got a Spyderco Moran for Christmas, I skinned 2 deer with it and it held the edge just like it came out of the box.

I have a few Microtech knives but, quit carrying them after I lost a stingray inlayed socom while 4 wheeling

It was a gift from my brother so it was priceless. He replaced it with an ostrich skin inlay.He collects Microtech knives like I collect guns some of those knives cost more than a nice Kimber

Guest broncobuddha
Broncobuddha, is Emerson still chisel grinding their blades? I can't tell from the photo you posted.

Yes, they still chisel grind, but the Commanders are conventional V grinds.

The CQC series are chisel ground.

However, all of their knives are only sharpened on the one side: (The V you see is on both sides however)

edge.jpg

• Admin Team

Cool. Let us know how you like it over time. I think the trade off with a blade that is sharpened on one edge is that you get a sharper edge initially at the expense of having a little less durable edge. I think that's how Sprderco's serrated blades have such a wickedly sharp edge out of the box. I'm curious to see what you think of it on the plain edged portion of the Commander. It seems like with their design here, you maybe get the best of both - you don't have a 20 degree edge like a true chisel grind, and yet you don't have the 40 degree edge of a conventional v-grind. It should be somewhere in between I guess.

It's a good looking knife. I really like that wide blade.

Guest broncobuddha

I will. So far, I'm loving it though I haven't really done too much with it. Cut through some packing plastic, tape and cardboard at work. Effortlessly, I might add.

More about their grinds. From their site:

FAQ - Your catalog says my knife is V ground, yet the sharpened edge is ground on one side only. Isn't this a chisel grind?

As I have explained in the definition of chisel grind in the glossary, the term chisel grind refers to the overall grind of the knife ie; the main bevel, not the edge, just as V grind refers to the main bevels of that style of blade. What you are referring to is the edge, the edge grind. All of our knives feature a single edge grind regardless if they are a chisel grind style like our model, CQC-7 or a double V ground style like our Commander model. The edge grind is the silver colored line located and visible at the bottom of the blade edge, not the main bevels. The single edge grind produces a very strong, sharp and easily maintained edge, especially in the field. This type of edge has been used historically on many hard use grade knives,most notably several million AK-47 bayonets. In describing our knives it would be either; A chisel grind blade with a single edge grind or a double V grind blade with a single edge grind depending on which model you choose.

My new CC. Ka-Bar 1480 ampidextrous plastic sheath/with star wrench and a couple extra screws. $45.00. Bought it yesterday, has a nice feel to it in hand [love the angle

] and feels nice on the belt,,, standing or sitting. I'm happy with it:)

I modified the sheath for better/quicker index finger placement for almost no adjustment after knife is drawn:)

Picture38-1.jpg

Picture0031.jpg

Edited by Al56