stolen guns

Guest Deputy dog

While out of town on a ski trip with my wife & 15 year old son, our house was broken in to. The thieves got my Bushmaster AR 15, Springfield XD 4 in 45 ACP, new Kel-Tec PF 9mm, Tritin 25, & my wife's grandfathers S&W breech brake 38 cal from late 1880s-early 1900s, on 2/7/10.I have already done the police report & ins claim, just thought I would get the info out to as many folks as possible.

Cowards,

They only rob when people are not home so they dont get shot.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Deputy dog

I posted the XD but it's my 4in duty weapon in 45 acp, & it also has sure sights that I installed myself.If you are not familiar with sure sights when you come up to target they make a triangle.

That sucks. The same thing happened to me while on vacation several years ago. Wish I had a safe back then.

We were out of town for Christmas, and returned to a home with far less electronics and guns than when we left.

We knew it must have been an "inside job" because the thief/thieves obviously took their time. Come to find out, they made two trips, on two consecutive evenings. I thought I had the guns hidden pretty well (under kitchen cabinets, underneath the pots and pans and in the bottom of boxes filled with things that belonged in storage) but they had all the time in the world. They had a good idea of what we had, and had no intention on leaving without it.

Come to find out, it was my girlfriends brother who orchestrated the whole thing. It took a few months, but we eventually got just about everything back, including the crappy cordless telephone and half-dead vacuum cleaner. Yep, they took just about everything, even the recently opened Christmas presents belonging to his niece and nephew. Just gotta love drug addicts.

I hope you are able to locate your stuff, too. I wasn't expecting to ever see my stuff again, but there is hope.

Guest Republican

I feel for you man. I have an uncle who that happened to. Do yourself and the rest of us a favor, evenif it was an "inside job", prosecute anyways. Even if you get your guns back, please prosecute. I have heard so many stories where someone gets their guns stolen, find out it was friend/family and they dont prosecute. I hope you get them back soon.

No safe, gun cabinet but was left untouched, AR was hidden & hand guns in a different room. I think it was an inside job if you know what I mean. Becouse you would need to know where they were, evey thing else looked staged.

Don't mean to be harsh but gunsafes are not optional pieces of equipment. Unsecured and subsequently stolen firearms make all gunowners look really bad (ie. irresponsible) in the eyes of those who would limit our constitutional (2nd ammendment) rights.

Edited by RGL01
Guest BEARMAN
Don't mean to be harsh but gunsafes are not optional pieces of equipment.

Although they are a wise choice in this day and age, however, they are far from mandatory and a law does not exist that makes it so...at least not yet in Tennessee.

I for one, am a very strong advocate of owning a safe for my firearms, but like using banks...it's not for everyone. IMHO

That is Rude & Crude to say! Not all can afford a decent one!:rolleyes:

I hardly think that what I said is either rude or crude. Firearms are serious business as we all know. Having them safely secured is not a luxury IMO. Stolen firearms by definition are in the hands of criminals. How many people who have had their firearms stolen didn't wish that they had had them stored in a safe? BTW my AMSEC safe cost me $1000 back in '01 (firelined). I keep it bolted to the floor in a locked closet. I'm sure an adequate safe can be obtained for less than that today. I just think the alternative is a potential nightmare best avoided.

I've been burglarized once, before I owned firearms. Learned my lesson then about vulnerability.

And FWIW when I move on down to Knoxville this Summer, my safe is coming with me, pain in the neck as it will be moving it.

Edited by RGL01
A lot of folks have only a mosin and or a High-Point and cant afford a safe!

Then lock the bolt of the Mosin in a tool box, and either carry the High-point on your person, or lock it too in a bolted down toolbox when not in use. There are practical and inexpensive solutions. Just takes a little planning.

Sorry to hear about this, especially if it was an inside job. Alot of times in cases like this safes don't make any difference unless you and you alone are the one with the key or combination to get in them. I have an uncle who has one of the best safes out there, and still ended up with someone stealing all of his guns because he made his daughter mad one day and she gave the code out to some people. No matter how much you trust someone, you never know when you may make them mad and they will hit you where it hurts.

Guest Catdaddy

I'm one of those people who would like to own a safe but at this time can't afford one- and when I inherited my Dad's collection, I needed something- FAST.

I bolted 3/8' aircraft cable through the walls in the closets of my home, and have all long arms locked in that fashion. It won't STOP a dedicated thief, but it will slow them down.

I also have two neighbors that I trust, and any time I am going to be away, I inform them.

They are NOT aware of the extent of my collection, however.

The alarm system is next. When I can afford a safe, I will get one.

And then there's my Pit Bulls.

I despise a thief, and sad to say, I believe most thefts like the OP's are inside jobs.

Hanging is too good for anyone who would do such a thing.

BTW, there are several sites dedicated to reporting stolen firearms. I think it is a good thing and will catch on.

http://www.stolenweapon.com/ http://www.mygunroom.com/lost/ here's two.

Also there are search sites if you suspect you are being offered a stolen weapon.

Edited by Catdaddy
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Deputy dog

UPDATE!!!! Stolen guns, guns are still missing but the insider has confessed & has been charged with two felonies. although he confessed to stealing them he has yet to say who he sold them to, but the detective is still working on him, will see. As I said I we'll see he is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Thanks to all in the TGO family:)

Edited by Deputy dog
UPDATE!!!! Stolen guns, guns are still missing but the insider has confessed & has been charged with two felonies. although he confessed to stealing them he has yet to say who he sold them to, but the detective is still working on him, will see. As I said I we'll see he is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Thanks to all in the TGO family:)

Glad to hear they cought the bastage, hope they get everybody else involved and you get your guns back.

Glad to see that there is a little closure to this. I am sure it is hard for you to deal with the insider, but it has to be done. I hope you get your guns back soon.