New job near Nashville..where to live?

Guest Arko

Hey guys. I just got I job offer in Dickson I'm going to accept, barring another offer that may still be pending (longshot)

I've been out there, but don't know where the heck I should be looking to live. The employer is about 40 minutes from Nashville, in Dickson. I'm thinking we'd like to be closer to Nash just to have more stuff to do. A 30-40 minute ride to work wouldn't kill me.

We'd like to rent a small house without breaking the bank. I have time to be choosy, as I can stay in a hotel/commute for now, but I don't have a clue where to start looking.

Any suggestions?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd stay in or near Dickson if I were you. Schools are better, things are cheaper than in Nashville. You could probably find a rental kinda in the country in Dickson, away from all the crime here in Nash. Or in near the westerns edge of Nashville might be ok too.

If you are working in Dickson and want to live in/near Nashville I would suggest that you start looking near Bellvue (west of Nashville near I40). They are considered part of Metro I dont know if that matters to you or not. Living on the west side of town will save you a ton of time fighting downtown traffic trying to go west if you live on the east side of town. Home prices are reasonable and you are fairly close to most things. I'm sure others who live on that side of town can offer more specific areas.

Guest mtsumatt

IMO, I would stay out if Nashville. You will get more for your money and it could be safer and like someone else said, better schools. Plus you might get a little land in the county and could do some shooting in your backyard. Again this is just my opinion. Good luck on the new job.

Guest HexHead

Bellevue is really nice and there's tons of apartments and condos here. Also consider splitting the difference and looking at Kingston Springs or Pegram. Better schools and lower taxes. You won't end up paying for damn convention center our idiot mayor is building.

I'd stay in or near Dickson if I were you. Schools are better, things are cheaper than in Nashville. You could probably find a rental kinda in the country in Dickson, away from all the crime here in Nash. Or in near the westerns edge of Nashville might be ok too.

I forgot to mention that we don't have kids, so schools aren't an issue.

If you are working in Dickson and want to live in/near Nashville I would suggest that you start looking near Bellvue (west of Nashville near I40). They are considered part of Metro I dont know if that matters to you or not. Living on the west side of town will save you a ton of time fighting downtown traffic trying to go west if you live on the east side of town. Home prices are reasonable and you are fairly close to most things. I'm sure others who live on that side of town can offer more specific areas.

Being part of the metro isn't important either, in fact, we'd prefer to be just OUT of metro. We (the wife) just want to be close enough to Nash to run in and do things when the mood strikes without it being a major trek.

IMO, I would stay out if Nashville. You will get more for your money and it could be safer and like someone else said, better schools. Plus you might get a little land in the county and could do some shooting in your backyard. Again this is just my opinion. Good luck on the new job.

That would be nice, but again, not sure I could get that and still be close enough to activity, which is my wife's request. She's been pretty patient moving around over the last few years, so if I can keep her entertained, I'd like to.

We live in Cleveland now, and rarely make it to Chattanooga just because the 40+ minute drive feels like such a hassle, so it's likely that if we live any farther from Nash than that we'd be in the same boat.

I moved to Nashville in 2003. Lived in apartment in Bellevue until 2009. Bellevue is a nice place but still too busy for me as I grw up in a small town in East Tenn. I recently moved to Fairview and love it! Small town living in the country.

...splitting the difference and looking at Kingston Springs or Pegram. You won't end up paying for damn convention center our idiot mayor is building.

What Hex said.

Anywhere west of Davidson county. I-40 makes the trip to Nashville easy. 20 miles from the Dickson exit and you will be in Nashville.

Guest Bronker
Hey guys. I just got I job offer in Dickson I'm going to accept, barring another offer that may still be pending (longshot)

I've been out there, but don't know where the heck I should be looking to live. The employer is about 40 minutes from Nashville, in Dickson. I'm thinking we'd like to be closer to Nash just to have more stuff to do. A 30-40 minute ride to work wouldn't kill me.

We'd like to rent a small house without breaking the bank. I have time to be choosy, as I can stay in a hotel/commute for now, but I don't have a clue where to start looking.

Any suggestions?

Where are you going to work?

I'm a life-time Dickson resident, and would be glad to help you out with the details. What was said about Dickson schools, low crime, etc. is all true. There's a good reason why I never left, and chose to raise my family here.

Feel free to PM me and we'll exchange phone numbers if you'd like. And one of my best friends is a realtor that owns rental property. Just an idea?

Guest Broomhead

I live in West Nashville. We recently got a new shopping center called Nashville West that they are still adding things to and still have further plans to develope more. I would stick with what others have said and look around West Nashville, Bellevue, Kingston Springs, Pegram, all of which are very close to Nashville.

Where are you going to work?

I'm a life-time Dickson resident, and would be glad to help you out with the details. What was said about Dickson schools, low crime, etc. is all true. There's a good reason why I never left, and chose to raise my family here.

Feel free to PM me and we'll exchange phone numbers if you'd like. And one of my best friends is a realtor that owns rental property. Just an idea?

Thanks Bronker, I'll do that! I'll be the EH&S director for Shiloh industries there in Dickson. They do stamped metal parts and custom engineering.

Don't buy anything inside Davidson county!!!!!!! That being said, the further from Davidson county you get, the cheaper the cost of living.

Seems no Davidson county is a recurring theme. Message received. Thanks for the tips so far guys.

BTW, I know I pass by Outpost on the way out there, but who else from our Vendor list is close to Dickson?

BTW, I know I pass by Outpost on the way out there, but who else from our Vendor list is close to Dickson?

I live in Bellevue. I'm about as far west as you can get and still be in Davidson County. Its worth the drive for me to Greenbrier to visit Guns and Leather. Guns For America is in the 100 Oaks area and seems to be a good place.

Bellevue is about the midway point between Nashville and Dickson. The bad part is you are still in Davidson County and get to pay for the new convention center, stadium, arena, etc. through your property taxes. There are nice neighborhoods in west Davidson county where you don't have all the 'big city' problems.

Guest Bronker

G&L is close enough. We go lots.

Dickson Sportsmans Store is really a great store, and great prices. Not a vendor though. All of your hunting / gun needs. Their pistol prices can't be beat.

I'll take you over there.:stare:

Jcochran88 and strob2000 are Dicksonians as well.

I live in Bellevue. I'm about as far west as you can get and still be in Davidson County. Its worth the drive for me to Greenbrier to visit Guns and Leather. Guns For America is in the 100 Oaks area and seems to be a good place.

Cool. I'll look forward to a trip to G&L, and will check out the other place too.

Bellevue is about the midway point between Nashville and Dickson. The bad part is you are still in Davidson County and get to pay for the new convention center, stadium, arena, etc. through your property taxes. There are nice neighborhoods in west Davidson county where you don't have all the 'big city' problems.

Seems I should look up the taxes, as everyone is mentioning them, but we will definately be renting for awhile anyway.

G&L is close enough. We go lots.

Dickson Sportsmans Store is really a great store, and great prices. Not a vendor though. All of your hunting / gun needs. Their pistol prices can't be beat.

I'll take you over there.:rolleyes:

Jcochran88 and strob2000 are Dicksonians as well.

Cool. I like to use our vendors when I can, but I'll definitely take a trip to Sportsman's with you too!

Look out Highway 100 area towards Fairview, then you have access to Nashville Dickson and Franklin, with easy drives.

Cool.

Yeah a nice rental in Dickson will run you about 650. Median home prices 135000.

Lower crime and Just what you said 30 minutes to Nashville.

That's actually as good or better than Cleveland, where I am now.

Guest SleeveleSS

Just an opinion of a different flavor...

I wouldn't discount living in Davidson County. I live almost inside the inner loop (downtown), and love the convenience. Especially if renting and no children (my position as well), in Nashville is great. I also work in county, so you would have more of a commute than I have, but you should generally be reverse of rush hour. Don't let the talk of crime scare you, you're plenty safe in the city. I have heard legitimate reasons for living out of Davidson (schools being the first to come to mind) but I truly don't believe crime is one of them.

The prices quoted for rentals in Dickson seem to be right in line with Nashville prices as well, so I don't see a huge price premium for living "in town" either. I'm sure there are many on the board that would be happy to show you around during a visit. Let us know.

If it helps, I consider Nashville starting at exit 204 on I-40 (White Bridge Rd, Briley Pkwy) although technically it stretches out to exit Bellevue. Bellevue is exit 196, Pegram is exit 192, Kingston Springs is exit 188, Fairview is exit 182, and Dickson is exit 172. A couple of the other suggestions are scattered about through those exits. So if it helps, it may give you an idea where to start looking if you want to live closer to work, or closer to Nashville.