Any Chef's in the house?

I'm cooking dinner tomorrow, and was hoping someone would be able to give me a few pointers.

I would normally do this on a grill, but that's not an option in my apartment complex. I'll be cooking Ribeyes in the oven. Sadly, I've never attempted this before, and don't want to screw it up.

There are five 16 oz +/- Ribeyes, and they appear to be about 2" thick. I thought about using the broiler method, but am not sure whether or not that is a good idea with steaks this thick. If nothing else, maybe I can use the broiler for just a few minutes on each side, giving them crispier edges.

Anyone with experience have any pointers?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by TripleDigitRide
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bluemax

If you have a cast iron skillet get it pretty hot on top of the stove while preheating the oven to 350. Throw a tablespoon of butter in the skillet as soon as it melts drop ypur steaks in sear one side for a couple of minutes, flip them and put them in the oven for a few minutes depending on how you like them cooked. Works best if you let them come to room temp first. I like to use Tiger seasoning and butter on mine

Not a chef but I've laid the fire to a few steaks

Guest Jcochran88
If you have a cast iron skillet get it pretty hot on top of the stove while preheating the oven to 350. Throw a tablespoon of butter in the skillet as soon as it melts drop ypur steaks in sear one side for a couple of minutes, flip them and put them in the oven for a few minutes depending on how you like them cooked. Works best if you let them come to room temp first. I like to use Tiger seasoning and butter on mine

Not a chef but I've laid the fire to a few steaks

That's good advice right there!!!

Ive done steaks in a cast iron before. But I cook some bacon up first in the pan. Have the steaks at room temp, rub them with some steak seasoning. I use the chicago style. Cook the bacon up partially. Let the grease sit, then throw the steaks on. Brown, flip once throw the bacon back on and throw in the oven at 350 for about 10 mins.

i've done them before in the oven (electric) on broil. put the steak about 4-5 inches from the element, cook 4 minutes, flip, 4 more minutes. need a pan under the steak to catch the juices. turn off the smoke detectors before opening the oven, cause every time i've done it, they've smoked like crazy.

might have to cook them a little longer depending on how done you want them.

i've tried this in a gas oven, but didn't work nearly as well.

Guest jackdm3

If you find it's not to your liking and you're skurred, do what most "average" restaurant chefs do: drizzle/brush them with straight melted butter to rejuvenate the tired protein and wash away it's (your :)) sins.

The broiler is nothing to be scared of. Get your steaks down to room temp and sprinkle generously (if they're 2" thick, VERY generously) with Kosher Salt and fresh cracked black pepper. I also rub a little extra virgin olive oil on my steaks: you get a nicer crust that way.

If you have a cast iron skillet, do what was mentioned. Heat that sucker up to HOT and sear those steaks and finish in the oven. If it's not HOT, you run the risk of the dreaded gray steak.

If you do not have a cast iron skilled, you can cook under the broiler exclusively. This is the way I do it. I have a rack with a pan underneath. I stick the rack under the broiler to pre-heat. I adjust the oven so the rack is as close to the broiler as I can get. I prep my steaks, and when the broiler/rack are hot, I slap the steaks on and broil. Depends on the thickness and what temperature the steaks are at when you start cooking, but generally about 3-5 minutes a side will do it.

The rack/pan are important because I've had the grease catch on fire before. It was too close to the broiler.

With a little experience, you can easily tell whether the steaks are done by just touching them. They firm up as they get more done. If you're new, I really suggest a thermometer, especially with such thick steaks. Nothing worse than slicing open a steak, letting the juices run out, and find out it's over or undercooked.

Nobody mentioned this, but you really MUST let the meat rest before you serve. Take the cooked steaks, put them in a pile, and take a piece of foil and tent them loosely with it. At least 5 minutes, but 10 minutes is better. Please keep in mind that this cooks the steak more, so when you're checking the meat, make sure it's slightly rarer than you like.

Enjoy! Ribeye is the BEST steak cut this side of a porterhouse.

Edited by SavageSig

My go-to method:

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 275 degrees. Pat steaks dry with paper towel. Season entire surface of steaks liberally with kosher salt and pepper; gently press sides of steaks until uniform 1 1/2 inches thick. Place steaks on wire rack set in rimmed baking sheet; transfer baking sheet to oven. Cook until instant-read thermometer inserted in center of steak registers 90 to 95 degrees for rare to medium-rare, 20 to 25 minutes, or 100 to 105 degrees for medium, 25 to 30 minutes.

2. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in 12-inch heavy-bottomed skillet over high heat until smoking. Place steaks in skillet and sear steaks until well-browned and crusty, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, lifting once halfway through to redistribute fat underneath each steak. (Reduce heat if fond begins to burn.) Using tongs, turn steaks and cook until well browned on second side, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. Transfer all steaks to wire cooling rack and reduce heat under pan to medium. Use tongs to stand steaks on their sides. Holding steaks together, return to skillet and sear on all sides until browned, about 1 1/2 minutes.

3. Transfer steaks to wire cooling rack and let rest, loosely tented with foil, for 10 minutes. Arrange steaks on individual plates; serve immediately.

Guest Drewsett

With a little experience, you can easily tell whether the steaks are done by just touching them. They firm up as they get more done. If you're new, I really suggest a thermometer, especially with such thick steaks. Nothing worse than slicing open a steak, letting the juices run out, and find out it's over or undercooked.

I used to cook in a four-star independent restaurant (I'm talking Michelin stars, not AAA diamonds) in Louisville, KY once upon a time. The best way to learn to "feel" the doneness of a steak was taught to me by my Aussie chef. Touch the fat part of your palm under your thumb on your NON-DOMINANT (this is important due to the difference in strength) with your opposite pointer finger. The softness of this area is what a rare steak should feel like. Now touch the tips of your pointer finger and your thumb together on your NON DOMINANT hand. Feel the area on your palm again. This is medium rare. Repeat the steps with the middle finger, ring finger, and pinky finger. These are medium, medium well, and well done, respectively.

Checking temperture this way makes sure that you don't have to use a thermometer which A) takes forever :tinfoil: is easy to do incorrectly C) is much less manly :tinfoil:

Also it prevents the unfortunate event of slicing open and letting the juices run out of an underdone steak that you could have put back on the grill.

This only works with steak. You can learn how to feel the doneness of a hamburger by touch as well, but the only way I know to do that is practice.

And just for safety's sake PLEASE remove the steak from the heat source you're using to cook with before attempting to touch it. Trust me. :rolleyes: