Held my first walther.....and now

Guest Baddawg865

Guest Baddawg865

I WANT ONE!!

I never really paid any attention to the Walther brand untill i joined TGO. So yesterday i go to bass pro ,and there sat a Walther P99. I asked to check it out, and he showed me a few things on it.( I like the decocker) It felt really good in my hands. I am wanting a new EDC, and now i'm kinda torn. I was planning on going to a G19/23. But now M&P and Walther has got into my head.

So what do you guys think? I have never shot a Walther or M&P. But if i decide on a G19/23, i will wait on the Gen 4's. Uncle Sam wants me to blow some of this money, so i have to buy something, right? Thanks guys, any info or advice would be great!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin Team

A Walther PPS is my daily carry. Before that, a Walther P99 was my daily carry - and still is about one a week or so. It is a great pistol. Great trigger, a pioneer in user selectable backstraps, and a great shooter. Mine currently carries a Streamlight TLR-3 and rides in a Raven Concealment Phantom LC holster.

You'll love it.

The P99 is a fantastic gun. I've had two and both were excellent. Ergos can't be beat and it is very slim. They do have a heavier trigger pull out of the box, but nothing a few easy spring changes can't fix. Plus it is James Bonds gun!:P I've also had an M&P and it too is an excellent choice. It would be my first choice except for the fact that it is a bit larger than the P99 and G19. the G19 is the cheapest and most utilitarian of the 3 and also and excellent choice. Of the three I was by far the most accurate with the P99 followed by the M&P and then the G19.

If you don't mind the price tag, snatch up the P99 and enjoy German engineering at it's best.

I would grab the Walther or M&P over a Glock personally. I own both Walthers and M&Ps and have no complaints. I think any of them will be on the same level with reliability and accuracy, so I'd go with what works best for you. Try to shoot before you buy.

When's the last time you heard someone say "Yeah, but is it as reliable as a Walther?"... Get the Glock
When's the last time you heard people complaining that their Walthers aren't reliable? Edited by (BH)

I too have been looking at the Walther P99C AS. Every thing i can find on the web makes it sound like the best. I have priced around nashville and found the following. Nobody has them in stock, but can arder and have in about 3 to 4 days. Prices. Guns and Leather 689.00 plus tx Goodlettsville Gun 710.oo out the door. On target in M'boro 709.00 plus tx

Specialty Arms in Lavergne is 749.00 plus tx. The place in Joleton 759.00 +tx.

G&L gives use of range for day, and On target gives 30 day range use.

I would grab the Walther or M&P over a Glock personally. I own both Walthers and M&Ps and have no complaints. I think any of them will be on the same level with reliability and accuracy, so I'd go with what works best for you. Try to shoot before you buy.

When's the last time you heard people complaining that their Walthers aren't reliable?

I've owned two Walthers, a QA P99 9mm and a PPS in 9mm... both were problematic and I got rid of them both and don't miss 'em. I've also owned a couple M&P's both in 9mm, one I had for 3000 rounds and it ran fine, one I put about the same number through and I experienced a broken striker (which is pretty common if you look into it), both had very weak and vague trigger resets.

Was just trying to make a point. There's a reason why when people compare guns based on reliability they compare them to a Glock, they work, and overwhelmingly in most instances, they don't mess up... So given the choice I'd choose the Glock. JMHO, just like I said before, to each his own.

I shoot A LOT, and everyone I know who shoots as much as I do shoots a Glock too (well, to be honest and specific, some of them only shoot their Glocks when their M&P's break... not kidding), guys who don't work their guns as hard seem to notice less of a difference, so guess it's the OP's call.

Guest Baddawg865

I would love to shoot one before buying, but no one has one for rent. And i'm still trying to find out about the warranty on the Walthers.

I believe the whole price tag on the walthers is turning me away. I just cant see it being that much better of a gun for the price. But i will wait a bit longer and get some more info. Keep it coming guys. Right now the Glock has the edge.....the M&P is in last. I'd like to just buy both!! Uncle Sam wasn't that nice to me though!:bowrofl:

If it were me I'd shoot both the M&P and the Glock and then make your call, the M&P's have friendlier ergos and are great guns and shoot better for a lot of guys than the Block does... but if you can only afford to own one, there's no choice at all IMO and I'd say just get the Glock.

That said, later on maybe you'll come across a good deal on a used Walther where the price to try one will make better sense IMO.

(just noticed your avatar and guess if you already own an XD, go for either one, chances of you not having something in working order to shoot are next to nil)

Edited by CK1
Guest Baddawg865

Yeah, i got my XDM as a shoe in. I guess i just want something a bit smaller for Summer carry.

You make some good points and will take your advice. I need to go shoot anyway!!

Iv'e had the Walther PPS 40, PPK 380 and the still have the P22. The ppk and pps ran great no screwups now the p22 I had to do the fluff/buff and now it's running great also:)

StOOpid question, but if you like the XDm, have you ever considered a XDs/c? Great EDC (mine). Why not stay in SA the family?

I also have the M&P but just have the XD bug.

BUT- Like any good word of advice about a new purchase, GO put your hands on one before you decide. FWIW I LOVE my s/c!

Just my:2cents:.

My wife has a small collection of Walthers...a pre-war, a German post-war, and several later ones. Everything from .22 to .380. All shoot great, and are comfortable to grip and fire. She carries one of her PPK/S probably 50% of the time.

I have the P99AS in 9mm. The grip frame is perfect for me. I love the mag release. I shot about 500 rounds through it over a 2 day defensive pistol course. Not one problem. I purposely did not clean it over the 2 days. When I stripped it down later I was surprised how clean it looked inside. I used MagTech ammo. That stuff must be very clean.