Top 10 SUVs that never die

strickj

Something tells me that this list wasn't written and researched very well.

In fact, they even say that in not so many words...

While we've already named our picks for trucks and cars that seem to outlast the competition, there's still plenty of SUVs out there that can keep you rolling for (hundreds of) thousands of miles. Toyota comes up big in this category, taking up four spots out of our top 10 (including the Lexus RX300 and 330 crossover), but there's still plenty of love to go around for some modern American classics like the Ford Explorer, which we've noticed is an especially big favorite of Vehix readers.

Once again, we didn't use any fancy calculus or other scientific formula to come up with this list. It's based on readily available reviews, ratings, online chatter, stories our friends from Alaska told us and a number of other sources. So, if you think we made a glaring omission, or that any of the following models should be banned from the road, please leave a comment and keep the discussion going and going until it finally outlasts that old '86 4-Runner (fat chance). Speaking of which, here's what you've been waiting for, listed in no particular order....

son0014.live.300x250.jpg1. Toyota 4-Runner

15b0000000000ef_633840665447926458.jpgHere's an SUV that was made for life in the '80s, with the ability to go about anywhere in relative style, and you could still even pop off the rear roof for an off-roading convertible experience. The 4-Runner adapted with the times over the years to remain a favorite among suburban commuters, mud boggers and everyone in between. With Toyota's venerable 22R engine at the center of things up until 1995, even those original models from the 80s are still sought-after reliable rides.

Other 9 at link Edited by strickj
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jackdm3

The Hummer is tentatively dead.

GM considering 2 Hummer bids: report

NEW YORK

Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:30pm EST

NEW YORK (Reuters) - General Motors Co GM.UL is considering two offers for its Hummer brand after plans to sell it to China's Sichuan Tengzhong Heavy Industrial Machinery failed, according to a report in the Wall Street Journal.

The Journal did not identify the bidders, but said both bidders had previously made offers and had been turned down. GM is reconsidering after its plan to sell Hummer to Tengzhong for $150 million failed to get Chinese regulatory approval, the Journal said, citing a person familiar with the situation.

GM was not immediately available for comment.

GM on Wednesday said it would close down its Hummer operations. GM is continuing to wind down operations as it considers the two bids, the according to the report.

Edited by jackdm3
Guest 1817ak47
wow, that list is SERIOUSLY flawed.

where is the Hummer H1, Toyota FJ, Chevy Blazer, Jeep CJ5, Ford Bronco, International Scout, Land Rover, Willys, Chevy Suburban, etc.

those above you mentioned are not exactly reputed for being long term reliable and also kinda lacking in longevity, doesn't mean they aren't desired by offroaders etc.

on another note. if you get a cherokee(not grand) those tend to last a long time becuase the engine is a in-line 6 not a v-6.

inline engine have always tendedto last alot longer that v-engines.

I have worked around cars for a whille to observe this. :hyper:

where is the Hummer H1, Toyota FJ, Chevy Blazer, Jeep CJ5, Ford Bronco, International Scout, Land Rover, Willys, Chevy Suburban, etc.

Honda CRV, Toyota Rav4, Lexus, Subaru(not a SUV) do NOT belong on that list

I think you're list is seriously flawed as well. Blazers, Jeeps, ROvers and Burbs are not typically thought to be reliable. They seem to "die" frequently. Hummer H1s are a disaster. Scouts, FJ, CJ and Willys are not too easy to find. If you do, the are rust buckets and parts aren;t cheap.

Now here's the list of top 10 never die vehicles were manufactured within the last 15 years:

1997 Land Cruiser

2003 Land Cruiser

2004 Land Cruiser

1996 Land Cruiser

2002 Land Cruiser

2001 Land Cruiser

2000 Land Cruiser

1998 Land Cruiser

1995 Land Cruiser

1999 Land Cruiser

BTW, Here's my 2000 Land Cruiser :hyper:4319594777_ccf9b6fe64_b.jpg

Edited by wareagle
Guest 1817ak47

I have heard and known way to many people to not get the longevity out of the grand cherokees that was common in the cherokees. heck a cherokee could be had with a 5spd manual too. not all suv's were available with a manual tranny which almost alwyas gives better mileage and longer life expectency when driven properly vs a auto trans

Guest coldblackwind

Most cherokees I see average over 200,000 miles (with the 4.0), most grand cherokees seem to give up by 150,000, or before. My parents are presently fixing more on their 70,000 mile '04 grand cherokee than I am on my '99 cherokee with 130,000.

The story says Cherokee, but they show a Grand Cherokee and they didn't include the CJ, YJ, TJ, or my favorite, the JK:koolaid:, so they suck. :D

Anyway, the Grand Cherokees (WJ) with the 4.0L will last as long as the Cherokee's(XJ), aftermarket for the XJ is exetensive, while the WJ, not so much, neither of which matches the aftermarket for the CJ/YJ/TJ. JK is quickly catching up in the aftermarket world. The 4.7L WJ that I had, had 125K miles on it and the motor didn't smoke, didn't burn oil, had not lost any power.

The 4.0L is, IMO, one of the best. The new 3.8L....not so much. We will see.

Yep, I drink the Jeep :D!!

Guest coldblackwind
the Grand Cherokees (WJ) with the 4.0L will last as long as the Cherokee's(XJ!!

Its not the engine I was referring to, its everything else. The suspension doesn't seem to last as long, and I believe they have a different automatic in them, which doesn't seem as rugged (never looked into this, I was told this by someone, it may not be true, correct me if I'm wrong), plus they just have more electronic, expensive bits and pieces. My parents turn signal stopped working, they had to replace the entire $80 taillight because its all a printed circuit, you can't even just change a bulb!

Its not the engine I was referring to, its everything else. The suspension doesn't seem to last as long, and I believe they have a different automatic in them, which doesn't seem as rugged (never looked into this, I was told this by someone, it may not be true, correct me if I'm wrong), plus they just have more electronic, expensive bits and pieces. My parents turn signal stopped working, they had to replace the entire $80 taillight because its all a printed circuit, you can't even just change a bulb!

I could start a new thread on this.....:biglol:

Mine had the 4.7L V8, with 125K miles, a NV247 Quadratrac II transfer case On demand 4 wheel drive and 4lo. I put a 2" budget boost and had larger tires, I was about 3" over a stock WJ. Had TC service done at a oil change place, replaced my TC a year later. Had leak issues when I first had the service done. I was the only one I found that had that problem on internet sites, so I chalk that up to mechanic failure. My auto transmission, was in need of service when I got rid of it. It would feel like it would hesitate ever so often going into gear. I was close to 35K since my last transmission service, I was way over due for one. I replaced the radiator at 80K. So no real problems of a nagging quality issue that I could tell. Some user error. The paint was good other than typical chips from rocks, scratches from car doors, trees..:biglol:, no leaks at all, the interior was in great shape, all electronics worked. I took that thing a lot of places and if I had it today, after all the services it needed, it was due for transmission, tc, diff services but I traded it instead, I would have felt comfortable driving it across the country.

What year was your parents? The WJ ran from 99-04 and you could replace bulbs. With that said, there was the only nagging problem, my rear turn/brake lights. Chrysler uses the bulb in a socket system, bulb inserts into socket, socket twists into tail light housing. Well for whatever reason, the bulbs get too hot, and will burn out the sockets. They will turn from a light gray to burnt looking gray. You could change the bulb, with no luck or it would work for a little while. The local Jeep guy kept these things in stock just inside the parts warehouse. You replace the socket, you get a year or more out of it. They were $8.

I miss the V8 in that thing. I wish they would have put that as an option for the new wranglers, they are big enough.

Are they as tough as an Cherokees or Wranglers probably not, they were more refined and with that, more issues and less durable off road. However, as the general market, I would put that Jeep Grand Cherokee up against all the other SUV's out there.

I did drive an 08 Grand Cherokee as a loaner when the wifes van was in for service that had the 5.7L HEMI V8..that thing made me giggle!

There is a company in Texas that does full conversion for the 07-10 Wranglers from the 3.8L V6 to a 5.7L or 6.1L HEMI. Those things are bad ass.

Edited by db99wj

Honda CRV, Toyota Rav4, Lexus, Subaru(not a SUV) do NOT belong on that list

As a long time offroader, I agree. A CRV...really??

Guest coldblackwind

I believe its an '04 DB, last year I believe before they went to the new body style. No changing bulbs though, might have been a one year taillight, I'm not sure, but its a printed circuit with LEDs. I love my jeeps though, my parents have had tons of grand cherokees, and 2 wranglers ('87 4 banger, and now a '98 4.0).

I'm inclined to agree on the CRV, and rav4, should not have been on the list! Lexus I know next to nothing about, and the subaru isn't an suv.

Guest mustangdave

There were only 3 TRUE SUV's on that list...the Explorer...the Cherokee and the Land Cruiser...the rest are wanna bees...little tiny "things" built on car chassis. had a 96 Explorer Sport with a 4.0L...loved it...traded up to a full size E-150 Conversion van

Guest Republican

I got a 93 cherokee xj 2wd with 245k miles on it. 4.0 I6. It runs and drives great but it looks kinda rough really. I bought it 3 or 4 years ago for 700 bux. Drive it almost everyday as a work vehichle. Tax write off is 42 cents a mile multiplied by approx 30,000 miles a year. That is a $12,600 tax write off each year. That is good economics fellows. :)

Umm... I've taken my RAV4 off road and hauled as much as the little puppy could handle .. and then some. I will admit it kinda sucks with that 4-cylinder, but it could handle snow and ice covered hills in WI and muddy corn fields in TN.

How many years have you been thrashing it? That's the true test.

I also think they should have put the Bronco II on the list. It preceded the Sploder and was/is a killer offraod toy.

How did they come up with this list?? The Pathfinder may be reliable, but it's horrible off road. Don't see my Land Rover on there. I used to have a Jeep Grand Wagoneer and a Durango, but the Rover has been the best so far, and believe it or not gets better mpg. :D