UGLY?? but it feels SO good...

Guest BigShot

Guest BigShot

Finger grooves on a 1911 have ALWAYS felt good to me but I love the checkered feel of the panels. Got some o'dem Pearce finger grooves. Whatta ya' think... Jus' shoot it in the dark??

PearceFingerGrooves.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always liked anything for self defense that tells me right right where my fingers go in low light situations. For instance, I don't like the looks of spyderco knives but I love the feel of them because of the wide opening for deploying the blade. Also, as a Glock owner I'd support the trend of "uglyfying" 1911's so I don't have to listen to how ugly my guns are :(

Where did you get those Les Baer grips?

Kind of what I was thinking, front strap doesn't look checkered.

Thumb saftey and extended slide stop not correct, so I don't think

its a Baer. But those are the older Baer Race Gun Logo grips.

You know among Baer owners there is some demand for those as a collectable.

Guest cheez

If it feels good you might shoot more. I too am a converting Glock guy so looks never has been something I spent a lot of time dwelling on. I love the finger grooves.

Guest BigShot
:D Please tell me you didn't put those on a Baer.

Yep... it's a Les Baer. Did a lot of research for this 2nd project of mine. I know the finger grooves don't seem right on a LB but it FEELS good. I built it from a collection of parts I've gathered for a long time and brought each one to minimum spec to fit just right. It turned out very well and it's a pleasure to shoot.

I have run about 100 rounds thru it so far. It's spot on target and shoots better than me so that's all I could ever ask. Great pistol for a fraction of the cost of a factory Baer. :chill:

The rubber grooves do fit my ham hand a LOT better.

Title of thread reminds me of a friend's girlfriend.

When I first moved to Nashville, I went to guncity to meet the smith. I was in the market for a 1911 with some upgrades. When I mentioned front strap stippling or checkering, he whipped out a commander with rubber fingergrooves. "This is what I recommend instead of metal work".

It was at this instant that I remembered that he was offended when I asked for price list of his work, and realized that I was dealing with the totally wrong person.

Neither Ted Yost nor any other top rated custom 1911 smith seems to be offended by requests for price lists. Some of them even post it on their web sites.

In the end, I bought a Les Baer Super Tac to avoid the year long wait that most good gunsmiths have. Rubber "guncity" fingergrooves might be appropriate on a Glock but never to cover up the 30 LPI checkering on a Baer.

Guest BigShot
Rubber "guncity" fingergrooves might be appropriate on a Glock but never to cover up the 30 LPI checkering on a Baer.

Exactly why I'm having such a dilemma. ;)