bugout bags

dunndw

I'm on the road pretty much all day every day driving from client to client. I've been thinking about building a small bugout bag to keep in the truck with more spare mags, perhaps some way to hold the unloaded AOW and/or my PS90 with the ammo nearby, perhsps a med kit from calvary arms, etc

Does anyone carry a bugout bag with them?...well other than Frank. He doesn't count...he has the "Punisher" model I think:) in his trunk

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I carry a backpack filled with some basic camping gear, enough food for three days and a change of clothes appropriate for the season along with some foul weather gear too.

There is always some extra ammo for either handgun I might carry inside the truck too.

I'd go at Osama bare handed if I was given the option :-) screw the hardware....too good for him.

I'm thinking about the days I drive from Columbia to Clarksville, or Franklin to Lebanon. especially with the time change, it's almost always dark when I'm finally driving home.

Guest bkelm18

I've entertained the idea of a BOB before. I'll get one together when I start getting a little more income. Probably include some first aide, basic survival stuff, food, water, some clothes, some ammo for my SHTF guns, and maybe a radio of some sort for communicating.

Guest jcoyle6

I keep a BOB: some MRE, Goretex, Surefire + batteries, knife, first aide kit, space blanket, a couple liters of water, change of clothes, extra socks, some other stuff. As of now the AOW stays at home. The rest of it stays in the trunk of my car.

I'll just go ahead and say ditto.

I have a two hour drive back and forth to work 3 days a week. If nothing else, (aside from everything else that's in the BOB) I feel better having a change of clothes if I have to stay overnight and go back to the office the next morning.

I just don't see any reason not to have one.

After reading Franks post in another thread regarding carrying a loaded shotgun I think one change will be the AOW will be replaced with perhaps the carbon 15 pistol. Then I can be just like Will smith in Bad Boys....j turning my Ferrari into the mob of bad guys....except I don't have a Ferrari...and my carbon isn't full auto...and I don't dress that well....oh yea...AND I'M NOT SUCIADIAL…not to mention I don’t think I’d run INTO a mob of cracked out Rastafarians driving hot rods with anything short of a LAWS or at the very least a RPG7

Not to mention...it's actuall LEGAL where as the AOW..well lets just say I don't want to be the one to be the test case

Guest ETS_Inc

Bugout bag, me? C'mon, you don't think I carry stuff like that, do you? Really? :lol:

I keep a range bag, for lack of a better term, on the floor of the front passenger seat. It contains eyes, ears, flashlight, batteries, knife, Ruger MkII, a suppressor, S&W 686, ammo for both, baton, a few first aid essentials (Quik-Clot, field dressings, gloves), 550 cord, Nalgene water bottle, a small survival pouch of water, and a few other essentials. It's intended more as a bag to hold the things I tend to use for class or demos than a real bug-out-bag.

Now, in the trunk, there's a more complete first aid kit, as well as a true Bug-out-bag. That BoB contains:

stripped MRE

knife

shotgun ammo (managed recoil 00Buck and slugs)

a few AR mags

some other, interesting surprises

Tactical Tailor mini-MAV low-profile chest rig, which holds:

several other AR mags

couple 1911 mags

Surefire G2

The BoB in the trunk is configured as kind of an "active shooter / SHTF / gotta get the heck outta Dodge" kit. It's not meant for a prolonged fight, or even for entering the fray. It's meant for keeping myself out of the fray if something drastic happens and I absolutely must fight my way out.

Of course, in my line of work, there are usually a few (or more correctly, several) NFA weapons in the trunk, as well. Let's just say that if a natural disaster on the scale of Katrina happened around here, I'm well prepared.

Guest Jason F.

Never really thought much about a BOB but I pretty much always have a small tool kit, first aid kit, knife, phone charger, a towel or two, some sort of tarp or ground blanket, flashlight, extra jacket, gloves, and a hat.

I even carry a first aid kit, small tool kit, small flashlight, and a pocket knife on my motorcycle since it is my primary daily transportation.

I do not feel the need to have much more in the way of firepower other than my daily carry weapon but I am rarely more than 15 miles from home. My commutes are very short and I do not wander far from home.

I don't keep anything in the vehicles, other than a basic roadside emergency kit (tools & first aid)... but I do think that a 72hr kit would be a good idea, and I intend to buy a few in the future. I can't keep firearms in the vehicles for good reasons, so I'll have to rely on what I've got on me at the time, or can grab from the house.

I don't intend to bug-out unless I'm already 'out' (even then, it's my intention to get home)... if I'm home, I'm going to stay there. I'm not in an area which would lend itself to a major natural disaster. So, a bug out bag is pretty low on my priority list though I'm sure I'll put one together eventually.

In the winter I have a small bag with a few items in it.

• Lighter

• Tow rope

• Peanut butter (smooth, that's how I roll.)

• Flashlight

• Candle

• Old Pocket knife

I don't carry extra ammo, extra magazines, or anything like that.

I don't intend to bug-out unless I'm already 'out' (even then, it's my intention to get home)... if I'm home, I'm going to stay there. I'm not in an area which would lend itself to a major natural disaster. So, a bug out bag is pretty low on my priority list though I'm sure I'll put one together eventually.

My thoughts exactly. I ain't gonna leave, but I'm GOING to get home even if it's on foot. Whatever I happen to have W/ me is there to help in that endeavorw

I got a full mechanics tool kit, air compressor, jumper cables, flashlight, first aid kit, GPS when out of town, Jacket, fire extinguisher, and currently, 150 rounds of ammo (loose), 3 2 spare magazines with the good stuff.

I also have one of those corporate disaster kits, I worked for a place that was closing down and they had one at the location I managed, they were going to throw it out, If I didn't want it. It has food bars, water, full first aid kit, tools, emergency clothing, flashlights, radios and a bunch of other stuff like hard hats (my kids love those things). The bag itself, I could fit it, it is huge.

West TN is a earthquake zone and if the big one hits, like in 1811-1812, it is going to be awhile before help gets here.

So, a bug out bag is pretty low on my priority list though I'm sure I'll put one together eventually

Mine is more of a bug in bag as well. Priority for me is to get home, unless Oak Ridge goes up in a big radioactive puff. Then more than likely the prevailing weather would not be a bonus here in Corryton.

Mine is more of a bug in bag as well. Priority for me is to get home, unless Oak Ridge goes up in a big radioactive puff. Then more than likely the prevailing weather would not be a bonus here in Corryton.

I'll let ya know when the cloud rolls into Clinton so you'll know how much time you have left. :lol:

Guest jcoyle6

As far as those of you not doing the BOB thing, allow me to elaborate: I don't actually plan to ever have to fight my way out of m'boro or franklin or nashvegas. I only intend on having what I think is necessary to keep safe in the event of an emergency. I can't count how many times I have had to use the contents of my BOB, but my first aide kit w/ 'liquid bandage' always sees some action. As far as firepower goes, I'll just pack extra ammo. If there is ever a need the AR stays in a 'go' case at home.

The BOB kit does allow a certain sense of freedom/confidence in the knowledge that if I get a phone call at some wacky hour of the night/morning I can roll out of bed throw on some clothes and be prepared to deal with a plethora of situations with little preparation time before departure. Or hold in place and continue with another 24 hours of normal activity. . Like a pack of condoms it's the little things in life that allow a life worth living. Never a Boy Scout, but I like the motto.

Its just a matter of being prepared. The amount of gear you actually hump is more a test of the "what could I possibly encounter" question. Obviously a first aide kit. Jumper cables are another necessity. Road flares or reflectors in the event of a night time breakdown. A flashlight, with extra batteries. Plus the cricket 'bat (paddle?)' for the zombies.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a link to a guy that breaks it down into 3 categories The Immediate Response Bag, The Bugout Bag, The Battle Bag. I had never thought about an "Immediate Response Bag". I found it interesting, even though I didn't completely duplicate his efforts.

http://www.exxcess.info/bugoutbag.aspx

I keep a BOB, but I don't always carry it around with me. I do keep a few items in the vehicle that might come in handy in a pinch.

That is a really good article. Some things in there I hadn't thought of.

When he was descrbing the contents of his "Bug Out Bag" I started thinking

how that sounded a lot like my backpack I carry hiking. So I guess I already

have one. Just have to drop in batteries, grub, and gun. :doh:

Here is my pack...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wecrosscreek/1487172854/

You can roll over the images for descriptions.