Gimmick Gun?

JeffsSig

I didnt want to get off topic on another thread:

So Ill ask here.

With due respect to the dead.

Not to glorify a round or gun. (as why do we carry and use guns?)

One-man One gun and a few mags full of ammo.

13 dead and 38 injured, of which 30 needed to be hospitalized.

Forget ballistics

The FN 5.7 is a gimmick gun?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it a gimmick,what makes a gimmick gun.

I guess a ford is a gimmick truck because Dodge and Chevy already have deisel motors.

Chevy already has a suburban so I guess the Escalade is a gimmick

Whoever said the five-seven is a gimmick gun has been under a rock for the past decade. It is a serious gun with some crazy awesome ballistics, so what if the traing blue tipped round only carries a 40 grain bullet, that thing mushroom like crazy, due to the balistic tip and soft material the bullet is made of. and also that light bullet would do the same as a 5.56 and bounce around.

And for those who say the 5.7 is puny what about the HK mp7, with its 4.6x30mm round and it is supposed to be better than the 5.7x28mm.

and a random youtube video

Edited by mk19
Guest 10mm4me

The 5.7 is no "gimmick". It will kill you quick. I am betting those injured at Ft. Hood were hit in the extremities (arms & legs). The small ballistic tip 5.7 offers great penetration and an awesome energy dump for a handgun. Were it not so expensive and ammo so unavailable (I have never seen a box at a gunshop but I know you can order it very easily) I would carry one.

ammo is 19.25 to 19.75 a box of 50,I dont think thats to bad.I buy it in 2000 rnd cases.I don't know of any other handgun that can hit consistanly at 50 yards not feet.

The 5.7x28mm was designed to defeat body armour. And with the mil/LE ammo it does that very well. But during testing in gel they found out that the bullets tumble with they go into soft tissue, which in turn creates a bigger wound channel. The round is far from a gimmick. I know for a fact that US Marshalls are carrying the P90 sub machine gun. And I also saw on the History Channel that the Secret Service is carrying them too. I dont think that two of the most elite LE agencies in the country would carry a round that dosent work.

My only complaint is that no other gun companies are making guns chambered in it. IMO the FN pistol is cool but way over priced. I heard rumors at SHOT a few years ago that Taurus was going to come out with a revolver chambered in it. But have seen nothing of it. If someone can get a pistol in 5.7 for the price of a Glock, XD, M&P I think it would be a very hot seller.

Guest drv2fst

I think it's a great gun. Extremely accurate, I hit 12"x12" targets at 100 yards easily with the Five Seven pistol. What the round lacks in weight it makes up for in speed. I like the SS195 better than the SS197. It's one of the lightest guns you can carry. Fully loaded with 21 rounds it is lighter than most other carry guns empty. The size it a bit cumbersome to conceal. Still, 21 nice rounds in a powerful, accurate gun is great. Also, The lack of recoil means follow up shots are fast and on target.

+Less recoil than 9mm, 40 or 45.

+Lighter than 9mm, 40 or 45.

+More ammo than 9mm, 40 or 45.

+More accurate than 99% of carry guns.

-Big pistol, cumbersome to conceal.

-One ammo maker.

-More expensive ammo.

Guest 10mm4me
ammo is 19.25 to 19.75 a box of 50,I dont think thats to bad.I buy it in 2000 rnd cases.I don't know of any other handgun that can hit consistanly at 50 yards not feet.

I was referring to the gun being so expensive

Not a gimmick at all. I think the only reason it's not more popular is that so many of us don't like to buy something that we're not certain we can find ammunition for. As stated above, I think it would be sweet if Glock, M&P, Or Springfield would make one. It would probably only take one manufacturer to bring down the price of the guns and increase the availablity of the ammo.

Bass pro carries ammo for it and here in Memphis it is just about always in stock (that I have seen). I think its a great gun. I would probably own one if it didn't cost more than my 1911. Plus, local indoor ranges won't let you shoot it.

It wouldn't be legal for a score, but I'd be curious to shoot one as a second gun in an IDPA/GSSF match... lighter, less recoil, and more accurate are good things, niche chambering or not...

Better ballistics is progress, I say no gimmick, if Glock made one and it was priced like any other Glock, I'd already own one..

Guest TwoLaneBlackTop

I was the one that called it a gimmick gun, and I stand by that. As I posted in another thread.....

Can we say gimmick gun?

5.7x28mm SS195LF

28 gr

2,350 ft/s

344 ft lbf

.22 Magnum

30 gr

2,200 ft/s

322 ft lbf

Oh and I am quoting the 5.7 ballistics as fired from a P90 barrel and these numbers are a bit higher than would be seen from a 5.7 chambered pistol. Not so impressive now is it...... (The few debatable benefits the cartridge offers are negated for Civilians as we can not legally purcahse the the good AP rounds)

For comparison a 9mm loaded to full +P pressures can yield the following from a 4.5" barrel

9x19mm

115 gr

1415 ft/s

511 ft lbf

Guest DeadEye

Hi! TwoLaneBlackTop! It seems youre not very informed about the Gun or the Ammo, since a lot you post about it is 100% wrong!:)

Anybody can leagally own,buy,trade the SS 190 ammo for it, check on Gun Br. it is not cheap but not much is!

I have the Pistol and the PS-90 as well as this according to you illegal AP SS 190 Ammo!:)

Guest TwoLaneBlackTop

The terminal ballistic performance of projectiles fired from the Five-seveN's is based more on myth than mathematics. The round does not deliver more energy on impact than other competitive cartridges, nor are the projectiles fast enough to reliably fragment and cause sizable wound channels.

If you like the Five-Seven because it is fun to shoot that's great! I own many guns for this reason alone. What I go against are the over-exaggerated claims regarding the perceived effectiveness of the 5.7x28 cartridge (especially when fired from a pistol) without real studies to back up said claims. If it came down to defending your life with a handgun there are better choices. Just think of it like this, would you trust the power of a 22 magnum to defend against an attacker? Well, the Five-Seven does not offer much more energy on impact than Winchesters magnum rim-fire round.

The Five-Seven does have one thing going for it, some of the best unintentional marketing I have ever seen! I remember when they first showed up on the market and with the high price sales were poor. What really generated interest were the opinion of various anti-gun lobby groups. When organization like the VPC and the Brady Campaign started to write about the gun and how it was "dangerous, and a threat to communities" and the projectiles were "armor-piercing" based on their own vague definition. After this sales started to go up and up.

If it came down to defending your life with a handgun there are better choices.

Yep. There are always better choices. But the fact that the Fort Hood shooter killed and injured so many proves that the gun and the round are lethal. That's REAL WORLD ballistics.

Anyone can sit behind a keyboard and pump out numbers but the real world proves that keyboard jockeys aren't always right.

Guest TwoLaneBlackTop
Hi! TwoLaneBlackTop! It seems youre not very informed about the Gun or the Ammo, since a lot you post about it is 100% wrong!:)

Anybody can leagally own,buy,trade the SS 190 ammo for it, check on Gun Br. it is not cheap but not much is!

I have the Pistol and the PS-90 as well as this according to you illegal AP SS 190 Ammo!:)

SS190 was legal to buy sell and trade and still is if it was on the market before the ruling came down. Kinda like HR4332, I can buy pre-86 transferable machine gun but that's it. It's a closed market now, what is on the market is it and there will not be any more for us. As of now you can't buy new SS190 made or imported after the ruling if you are a civilian. FN 5.7 (Fabrique Nationale) pistol is a semiautomatic pistol in 5.7 X 28 mm caliber

Edited by TwoLaneBlackTop

Ft Hood jihadi was also carrying a Beretta 92. Anyone have a good link stating the fn was what did all the damage?

As sale of AP pistol ammo is a felony, last I checked, maybe you can lighten up, fra... deadeye. I understand there are still lots of auto sears listed in gunrag classifieds, too. Or have things changed, in which case we'll see tons of cheap ak ammo hit the market again?

It's a fun gun, but for self defense wouldn't make my top 10 list. Top 20, either.

Don't let my opinion, ballistics, or anything elae interfere with your happiness, though.

As sale of AP pistol ammo is a felony, ....

Federal law?

Well, you can easily get 5.56 AP, and you can get a 5.56 pistol.

And you can buy a FN P90 rifle and FN 57 pistol.

Etc?

So it is maybe a felony to market it as a pistol round, but not to actually USE it in a pistol (except maybe under some state laws)?

I have no idea, just asking.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot