Shortening the first stage pull on AR triggers

Dear fellow Tinkerers and AR mechanics:_____________

Have just done another AR lower using the usual GI parts. Smoothed the engagement surfaces on both the hammer and trigger. The pull is slick; but a bit too long to suit me. The question is: How would you shorten the first stage pull? Do you bevel the hammer notch a bit; or bevel the trigger?

Please think about this and let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Leroy

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leroy,

I have known some who put a small spot weld on the underside rear of the trigger. In affect that will stage the trigger a little and shorten the pull.

Thanks DMark!! I appreciate it. I'll file that one away for future reference.

By the way; talked with one of my AR gunsmith buddies and complained about this. He said: "Gimme the lower"; went back into the tool room, put in another GI trigger, handed it to me, and the problem was fixed. All i need to do is to stone the trigger a bit to smooth it up. I guess the moral of this story is that you can play with parts and fix lots of things on the AR (...if you got em laying around...).

Again, many thanks and kind regards,

Leroy

Looks like what they are doing is shortening the trigger overtravel after the hammer breaks.

Again, many thanks,

Leroy

Leroy,..

I looked it over a second time and , actually due to being behind the pivot point , it acts as a take up screwan over travel screw would have to be forward of the pivot point say adding some shim stock under the ledge in front of the spring if there is room to do that securely or possibly tapping the lower in front of the trigger with the screw setting upwards..

I am looking forward to the reports and will keep you updated..

John

P.S. here is an X-ray I found.. helped me to see how it all goes together..

AR-15 X-ray photo - Ron N. photos at pbase.com

Leroy,..

I looked it over a second time and , actually due to being behind the pivot point , it acts as a take up screwan over travel screw would have to be forward of the pivot point say adding some shim stock under the ledge in front of the spring if there is room to do that securely or possibly tapping the lower in front of the trigger with the screw setting upwards..

I am looking forward to the reports and will keep you updated..

John

P.S. here is an X-ray I found.. helped me to see how it all goes together..

AR-15 X-ray photo - Ron N. photos at pbase.com

John:____________

You are exactly right. The screw can shorten up the first stage trigger pull. The great x ray picture cleared that up. Looks like it pivots the trigger a little bit and lessens the engagement; shortening the engagement depth between the trigger and hammer. Can't wait to hear about your friend's opinion on this.

Again, many thanks and kind regards

Leroy

Thanks Dolomite. I appreciate it. I tend to fiddle with stuff, and always take the parts apart and stone them smooth or polish them. I make sure everything is smooth and lube the mating surfaces with a synthetic grease. This particular trigger (...standard gi part...) had a large acount of first stage travel before the trigger broke. I think it was that the trigger was at the absolute upper end of the machining tolerance for the part.

Thanks for the info.

Kind regards,

Leroy