Reloading Question / Lee Manual

Ok, if you've seen my previous posts in the reloading category, you know that I'm new to reloading. I'm rather curious about something and know the fine minds of TGO can help me out.

When I bought all the stuff I'd need for reloading, I got a few different types of powder- Unique, Universal Clays, and 800X. I've been loading 9mm so far. I can get plenty of load info from Hodgdon's website for the Clays and the 800X, but Alliant's reloader's guide online sucks! When I look at the Lee manual I have, it lists loads for Unique under the 125 gr FMJ category, but no load data for Unique under 124gr FMJ.

For the purpose of reloading a round that'll put a hole in paper and not be dangerous, can I treat a 124gr and a 125gr bullet as the same?

If so, will the OAL be acceptable when I load a 124gr bullet based on the dimensions given to me in the 125gr recipe?

Thanks all!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Lee manual for 125gr FMJ shows 4.8gr start load and 4.9gr Never Exceed with an OAL of 1.150.

While googling, I found where someone said the Speer manual shows this for a 124gr FMJ load - 5.2gr start, 5.8gr never exceed and an OAL of 1.135.

This is why so many people get frustrated and give up on reloading! ;)

You should be good to go.

One grain differance in bullet weight is nothing.

If you take the lot of 124gr bullets you have you should have a few that will be closter to 125.

Don't go crazy with subing weights but for this amount on a bullet? Go for it.

I load cast lead & they hardly ever weigh the same.

The oal should be the same assuming similar bullet shapes. Think of it this way; the reason the oal is so crucial is to ensure reliable feeding in an auto. A consistant crimp is essential as well. Reloading for rifles and especially for revolvers is not as tedious.

Guest pig832

I have numerous reloading manual, and overall I have found the recommendations in the speer to be the mildest loads, and the lee to be a little hotter. Lyman falls about in between the two. Remember Lee cautions you to stay away from federal primers!

You definitely need to stay away from Federal primmers in an AR.

I know the OP question is on 9mm, but a slam fire can happen very easy with Federal primmers in an ARThen to beat that if you have a mag full, then you have about 30 individual problems! :nervous:

Guest Catdaddy

Just remember that two bullets that weigh the sane won't take the same load if one is jacketed and the other lead- lead bullets use a lower charge. Sometimes load info for lead is more difficult to find (in some calibers on some sites) than for jacketed.

I have taken to printing all loads for a caliber from several sites, punching them and putting them in my notebook for quick comparison.

Someone here can tell you, but I'm drawing a blank right now. I think there is a company that puts out pretty comprehensive reloading guides that are caliber specific. In other words, you can buy a reloading guide that JUST covers the 9mm. They aren't buy a few dollars each, but I can't remember what they are called or who sells them.

If in doubt, guess long when it comes to OAL. The less bullet you have stuffed back in the case, the more case volume you'll have. Which means lower pressures.

Worst thing that happens if you lengthen a round too much, is that it won't feed in your gun, or is too soft to consistently cycle it.

Worst thing that happens if you shorten a round too much, is a KABOOM:

9mm tightgroup - Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OAL varies by gun, too. My Glock34 would eat soft 147gr handloads well out past the 1.150" length I usually loaded them to. In fact, a 9mm round could be loaded too long to fit in the magazines before it affected how the gun cycled.

But the same 147 Precision Delta FMJ bullet will not chamber in an M&P 9L unless it's shorter than 1.125".

Thanks MemphisMechanic. 99% of the 9mm reloading I've been doing will be shot in my G19 and my G26.

I spent a while last night loading up various powders / charges to try working up with at the range tomorrow. I bought a bunch of 125gr cast bullets from Missouri Bullet (great company BTW), but I keep reading horror stories about Glocks & lead. Apparently, if you place a lead bullet within a mile of a Glock, it Kabooms, airliners within 500nm fall from the sky, and a bus full of nuns will overturn on a group of schoolchildren walking down the street. :surrender:

Yeah, I've been considering that. Just got to figure out which one I want to get a new bbl for first. Or, I guess I could always get a replacement bbl for the 19 and use it in the 26 when I felt the need to shoot lead in the 26...

Guest pig832

Catdaddy, you hit the nail on the head with your comment, a lot of people do not maintain a reloading notebook, for anyone that is new to reloading, start a notebook, it is important, I have mine segregated by caliber, you may think you will remember, the powder, and amount you use for a particular load, trust me, after you start loading a number of calibers you will not remember! If I have to stop reloading I even tag my powder measure with the powder name and grains I was using, it helps to avoid mistakes, and also helps avoid working up the same loads over and over. It sounds like a geeky pencil neck thing to do, but you gotta keep a current notebook!!

Catdaddy, you hit the nail on the head with your comment, a lot of people do not maintain a reloading notebook, for anyone that is new to reloading, start a notebook, it is important, I have mine segregated by caliber, you may think you will remember, the powder, and amount you use for a particular load, trust me, after you start loading a number of calibers you will not remember! If I have to stop reloading I even tag my powder measure with the powder name and grains I was using, it helps to avoid mistakes, and also helps avoid working up the same loads over and over. It sounds like a geeky pencil neck thing to do, but you gotta keep a current notebook!!

Will do. Thanks for the tip.

I loaded up 10 rounds each of several charges of three different powders and took them to the range yesterday. I gotta say that it's a neat feeling the first time you put a bullet downrange that you put together. It's a little nerve-racking too, as you're waiting for the gun to blow up on the first shot! :confused:

Someone here can tell you, but I'm drawing a blank right now. I think there is a company that puts out pretty comprehensive reloading guides that are caliber specific. In other words, you can buy a reloading guide that JUST covers the 9mm. They aren't buy a few dollars each, but I can't remember what they are called or who sells them.

Anyone?