Obama Announces 15 Recess Appointments...Including SEIU Lawyer

Guest SUNTZU

Guest SUNTZU
SNIP....

Obama filled two posts at the Treasury Department: Jeffrey Goldstein as under secretary for domestic finance and Michael Mundaca as assistant secretary for tax policy. He singled them out: "At a time of economic emergency, two top appointees to the Department of Treasury have been held up for nearly six months."

On Becker, Republicans have held up his confirmation for months, saying they fear he would circumvent Congress to make labor laws more union-friendly.

Democrats had failed to overcome Republican delaying tactics on Becker's nomination, and all 41 GOP senators wrote to Obama on Thursday urging him not to appoint Becker over the break — to no avail. Becker is a top lawyer at the Service Employees International Union and the AFL-CIO.

Labor unions were especially keen on getting Becker installed on the board that is responsible for certifying union elections and addressing unfair labor practices. Under a Democratic majority, the labor board could decide cases or make new rules that would make it easier for unions to organize workers. The board could allow speeded-up union elections that give employers less time to counter organizing drives.

...SNIP...

Already in a struggle with the U.S. Chamber of Commerce over a financial overhaul, Obama now has another one over Becker. "The business community should be on red alert for radical changes that could significantly impair the ability of America's job creators to compete," the chamber said in a statement.

In February, Democrats fell far short of the 60 votes they needed to push through Becker's nomination. Two Democrats joined Republicans to halt Becker.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said Saturday that Obama's move is "another episode of choosing a partisan path despite bipartisan opposition."

YouTube - UNION THUGS VICIOUSLY ATTACK A BLACK PATRIOT

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HvyMtl

In accordance to the Constitution of the United States, Obama is well within his right to appoint.

Bad thing is, in this case, the Republican blocking, instead of preventing this fellow from getting in, guaranteed it. Better to start the process and show his warts, than to delay him, and allow the President to use his Constitutionally given path to appoint without Senate approval.

Guest SUNTZU
In accordance to the Constitution of the United States, Obama is well within his right to appoint.

Bad thing is, in this case, the Republican blocking, instead of preventing this fellow from getting in, guaranteed it. Better to start the process and show his warts, than to delay him, and allow the President to use his Constitutionally given path to appoint without Senate approval.

This would be like putting John Wayne Gacy in charge of the ACF (Administration for Children and Families).

Guest 6.8 AR

When all you can do is block it or delay it, you do what you can. Becker is a threat to any company that wants to stay union free. Obama did it because he knew they

would go on recessr. I wish there could have been a different outcome. Republicans can't just keep the Senate in session, can they? They are still in the minority.

Republicans can't just keep the Senate in session, can they? They are still in the minority.

That's how the Dems. keep Bush from making recess appointments. Same old game in Washington. :(

Wonder if he will institute his "Civilian National Security Force" while the Congress is out of town?

I remember his statement:

'We cannot continue to rely on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives we've set. We've got to have a civilian national security force that's just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded.'

Will our Legislators have a chance to voice an opinion of this when it occurs?

Guest HvyMtl

Ok. My point is this - the Republicans know this fellow is a bad choice. They block him, conveniently forgetting the President can appoint at whim, when they are out of session... DUMB move. After all, they should remember Bush did the same 170 times... Not like its a NEW move or anything... BAD PLAY.

So, they should have allowed the process to start so they could have, at the very least, aired this fellow's dirty laundry for all to see... Now, they can be labeled as a bunch of whiners, as the classic Democrat ploy of "Dubya Did It" will come into play...

Simply this: You know the choice is bad. You do nothing constructive to prevent the choice. Once the choice made, you can do nothing about it, except complain....

Um... Brilliant...

Makes me wonder if they just allowed this to happen... and wonder about the why...

Guest SUNTZU
What does this video have to do with anything? What does union have to do with it? Not agreeing with "O" but he didn't do anything that Bush, Carter, or Clinton didn't do.

The video is of an SEIU member attacking a man selling Gadsden flags at a town hall meeting. Obama, instead of distancing himself from this group (there are more than just this one instance, I'm not going to do your Googling for you) puts an SEIU member on the board that oversees union disputes and claims of unfair labor practices. Unfair labor practices are always thrown about by unionized companies who have to bid against non union companies. When their bid that is 20 to 50% higher than their competition isn't picked, you wind up with picketing at places of business and letters being sent to all the principles. You don't get as much as other states here in TN, but the unionized companies have been stepping it up since their Don was made Capo de Tutti Capo. So they are stepping it up.

Both parties in the Senate were blocking this one, if that tells you anything. Bush's recess appointments in 2006 were a dirty, underhanded trick, according to democrats and the media.

Apparently it is now a reasonable tactic.

Thank you for clearing that up for me Suntzu! I have watched the video several times. Somewhere I must have missed the part explaining about the man selling flags at a town hall meeting! It looked pretty much like an average street brawl to me. I saw the SEIU logos on some shirts, but didn't realize these were thugs attacking a patriot.

I am also capable of doing Google searchs all by myself. But if I get stuck I'll let you know!

Guest SUNTZU
Thank you for clearing that up for me Suntzu! I have watched the video several times. Somewhere I must have missed the part explaining about the man selling flags at a town hall meeting! It looked pretty much like an average street brawl to me. I saw the SEIU logos on some shirts, but didn't realize these were thugs attacking a patriot.

I am also capable of doing Google searchs all by myself. But if I get stuck I'll let you know!

Sorry Vero, wasn't trying to be an ass, there's just a lot of videos of that instance that go into detail. We have some threads somewhere on here about it as well. Putting this guy on the board is just another log on the fire....and I believe he is stoking the flames on purpose.

Guest 6.8 AR

I think he is, too, SUNTZU.

To the folks that think that the Republicans could have blocked this,

Harry Reid can call a recess any time and the Republicans can't do anything about it. They tried to block as long as they could, as well as some Democrats, also. This was bound to happen. Senate rules are currently controlled by Democrats since they are in power. What the heck else could they have done?