Ruger Standard and the Volquartsen Exact Edge Extractor

Capbyrd

Let me start at the beginning. I love .22's and a buddy of mine told me to come over one day and check out some of the stuff in his attic. I went over and found one that I just had to have. It was a Ruger Standard and I think I traced the serial to 1980 manufacture. The blueing on the gun is pretty decent and everything seemed to function decently so I gave him what he was asking for it and took it home. It was extremely dirty but after a good cleaning and oiling it looked great. I noticed when I had the bolt apart that the firing pin was shorter than spec and the tip of it was chewed up pretty badly.

So that was the first thing I had to replace. After a new firing pin, the gun was shooting fine but I was having stovepipes out of every mag. I disassembled the mag and cleaned it really well and then got a little stumped. After some interwebs research, alot of people were suggesting that the extractor was the problem so I bought a VQ Exact Edge extractor. When it arrived, I compared the VQ unit to the stock unit and I could see that definitely would have been a problem.

Its been about a month since I installed the extractor but I finally took the Ruger to the range this weekend and got to put a couple hundred rounds through it. FLAWLESS! I was amazed. And I am very excited. Even a friend who was with me was impressed and now wants a .22 pistol to plink with.

I just wanted to sing the praises of the VQ Exact Edge and say that I highly recommend picking one up for your Mark series pistol or 10/22 if you are having FTE issues.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was it difficult to install or did you have a Smith install it my dad seems to be having FTE issues with his MKII I think that extractor might just solve his problem .

No...you can do this. The extractor comes out easy and goes in easier. You have to pop out the firing pin/cross pin for the extractor to move enough for removal.

There is very, very little that will ever require a gunsmith on a Standard, MKI, or MKII pistol.

Also note that the 10/22, the standard automatic, and the MKI, II, & III all have the same extractor.

Yep. This is an incredibly easy job. The only hard part will be getting the hammer strut lined back up when reinstalling the mainspring. The bolt disassembly on the Mark series is incredibly straight forward and easy.

I have a 1967 Ruger Standard .22 pistol. I helped a couple friend of mine move and her grandfather had given this to her husband and he didn't want it, so he gave it to me for helping them move.

I replaced the extractor, the firing pin and spring. I got all the stuff from Ruger, for about $10. It shoots great. Here's a picture.

SL371053.jpg

People bellyache about them having fixed sights for some reason. I don't know why because mine are all dead on 25 and 75 yards....exactly how a .22 should shoot.

They are very...very good guns.

It shoots, because of the inherit accuracy of the design, better you would ever think. They can walk circles around any high end 1911 you can buy - something that I would put good money on if someone reading this wants to lose their shirt

I love mine. Mine is the tapered barrel though and I think its the ~7 inch barrel. I want to get another one with similar barrel length but bull barreled and throw a scope on for some serious target shooting. Maybe start doing some .22 challenge or steel shooting.

Capbyrd I appreciate the come back I'll let him know that the fix is EZ.

My Dad, older brother ,and myself all three have MK series pistols my brother owns the mark I just like in memphismasons picture and it is remarkably accurate you can make spent shot shells dance all day long with it at 20 yds . My Dads MKII and my MKIII both have the bull barrel . I plan on taking mine Squirell hunting this fall espcially after I put a red dot on it . Might even consider trying out steel challange down at Dodds this summer . I like shooting my MKIII maybe as much if not more than my XD.