7.62x25 1911

323ssplt

I was sitting here wondering if anyone ever has, or if it's even possible to convert a 1911 to shoot 7.62 Tokarav ammo. It's fairly cheep ammo and puts out some good numbers. I want to take advantage of those pluses, but just don't like either the Tok itself or even the CZ52.

What do you guys think :tinfoil:

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mikedwood
if you shoot a CZ-52 you will like it.

Yeah what Magic said. I liked mine so well I got another. It's the only duplicate gun I own.

The CZ 52 is just a commie 1911 in my opinion, field strip not so bad, not as easy to detail strip though. Those bast@rdly little commie springs.

The fact that there are like 2 billion CZ-52's out there and the best you can do is change grips should tell you something. Not sure if it's something good or bad but it certainly is telling of something.

Great fun to shoot and a real penetrating round.

Guest mikedwood
The difference between the 7.62x25 and 38 Super is .07" at the rim and like .003 in OAL. I have been looking for a 38 Super for a few months now to do a Tokarev chambered 1911. I have done a lot with the Tokarev round, build AR's to use it. I even built a Savage bolt action in the round to shoot heavy, 180 grain, bullets at subsonic levels while still being able to shoot cheap surplus in a pinch. It would make for a more reliable gun also because of the tapered case. The only thing you need to work out is what recoil spring to use because it is a higher pressure round than the super and a barrel. I was going to sleeve the barrel in 30 caliber for my build. I was gonig to load it with 110 grian varmint bullets or 125 JSP's when I do get it built.

The Tokarev round is an amazing round, it does 1400+ fps in a pistol and 1800+FPS in a 16" barrel. What is amazing is the round has been around longer than body armor yet readily defeats ANY soft armor as well as the PAGST helmet. Using modern components and materials this round could give any modern pistol in the same class a run for its money.

I was going to rechamber a 30 carbine Ruger Blackhawk in the Tokarev round as well but could never find one that was reasonably priced.

The Tokarev round uses the more common .308 bore rather than .311 like most other combloc 30 caliber rounds. Making finding components easy.

I have done a TON of testing of this round for different purposes. Here is a link where I talk about some of the other things I have been working on with the round.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/new-member-introductions/37769-introduction-2.html#post495175

I am going to be doing some more subsonic testing. I was able to get it as quiet as a 10/22 shooting subsonics and this was done without a suppressor. By using fast pistol powders I was able to reduce a lot of the pressure in the barel before the bullet exited. The numbers put the energy level on par with a 357 magnum and yet still as quiet as a 22. It was also extremely accurate, hovering well under 1/2 MOA.

Here are some 168 grain SMK's for comparison next to a 45 ACP:

S5000149.jpg

S5000151.jpg

To answer your question, yes it will work without a doubt and can be done relatively easily.

Dolomite

That is the coolest post ever.

Guest manofsteel

i like my tok. execpt for the safety other wise good gun. would like to have a 7.62x25 1911 that would be fun to shoot and cheep

Guest gcrookston

I have seen what are reported to be viet conversions of captured 1911s on GB and Auction Arms. a quick google search only comes up with a chinese conversion kit that was briefly imported in the 1970's

Dolomite,

That is awesome. It was just a "what if" type of thing while I was work, but it is great that someone else has had the same idea and done such wonderful research with such a cool round. I might have to look into this project a little further.

Speaking of odd chambered bolt guns. I have a Savage chambered in 45 ACP I built for my wife. It has a Shilen barrel that is 17" long with Tech Sights on the front and a Williams ghost ring at the rear.

She is deadly accurate with it. I built it mostly for her to use so she didn't have to worry about turning on any red dots. She has a 9mm AR with a red dot as well as a laser. She shoots it equally well but the problem is it only likes FMJ's so some problem animals she had to shoot were able crawl off and die because they weren't hit with a good shot. Hitting a running animal does not always allow for a perfect hit so we needed to build something that would work regardless of the hit and so far the 45 ACP loaded to 45 Super levels is proving to be a one shot stopper with great regularity even if the shot placement isn't exactly perfect. I have loaded it with everything from 200 grain SWC's to 300 grain JSP's and all seem to shoot well. The 300's are mortor like in their trajectory but within 50 yards it is MOA (minute of animal). I also had some 230 GDHP's I loaded, now those hit with what seems like and extreme amount of energy.

It is a light kicker and the noise level is low enough that it doesn't upset the neighbors if we have to take a shot at night.

Dolomite

what kind of a magazine are you using to feed that thing?

execpt for the safety other wise good gun.

So you know, you can remove it with the greatest of ease. I too hated that God-awful piece of junk. I took mine off. Given, you will have a hole in the frame, but I think the hole looks better than the safety. PM me for pics if you want.