Walther P22 - 3" vs. 5"

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one that started out as a 5", and I converted to a 3". Depends on what you want to do with it. I don't carry it, but i wanted the smaller size. You will get better muzzle velocity and sight radius with the longer barrel, but that wasn't important to me.

Guest tbone

I have the 5, I don't know how it would compare to the 3 as far as accuracy is concerned. However, if I had it to do over, I would probably get the 3 just because it will be easier to field strip and clean. I hate fussing with those allen head screws on the barrel weight. Also, they tend to get loose after enough shooting and have to be re-tightened.

Guest truejarhead

I own a 3" but have shot my friend's 5" and there really was no difference in my groupings. I personally like the 3" better.

I own a 3" and was not impressed with the accuracy of it. I was thinking of buying the 5' barrel kit to see if it improved the pistol The dealer had sold me a California only model with the non-removable barrel (He failed to tell me).

I am glad you Guy's posted so I could save some money. I got this to teach my Son on. Thanks for the heads up.

Guest LCPTN

Fine plinker in 3" and accurate at 25 yards.

Save your money on the laser. You can't see it in the bright sunlight.

The laser (in my opinion) is for self defense. The P22 is for target etc.

Right? The P22 is nice. Shoots as well as the Ruger Mark III 22/45 for

me.

I've also got the Combo Kit with both barrels, red dot scope and the laser which wasn't part of the original kit but was added to sweeten the deal. I have only had the 3" barrel on a couple of times and although believe it was "less" accurate for me than the 5", it wasn't by much and it was only at 10 yards or more shooting spinning targets that I even noticed.

As far as the laser goes, it's cool but as LCPTN pointed out pretty useless in the sunlight. I even took it to the Stone River range once and could barely see at at the the 25 ft station. Years ago I'd carry my P22 with me when the wife and I went for a walk. I'd put the laser on to keep the dog going in the right direction....:D

Guest Bonedaddy

:D

I own a 3" and was not impressed with the accuracy of it. I was thinking of buying the 5' barrel kit to see if it improved the pistol The dealer had sold me a California only model with the non-removable barrel (He failed to tell me).

I am glad you Guy's posted so I could save some money. I got this to teach my Son on. Thanks for the heads up.

With a 5 foot (5') you wouldn't have to worry about accuracy, just get a friend to help you hoist it up and lay it on their nose. You can't miss!LOL! You may need a tripod at the range though. LOL!
Guest Bonedaddy

No, really though, I have a Phoenix HP-22A with a conversion kit. It's like they say. The 5" is only really more accurate because of the sight radius. It's not that noticeable. With enough practice you'll hit just as good with the 3". By the way. For the money, I think the Phoenix is a better gun. More conceilable, very accurate and easy to clean or change barrels once you get used to it and feels real good in "my" hand. Hides in the pocket real easy, too.

I have the 3"er and after doing the fluff/buff to it I think it's a fine fun gun,,,but picky about ammo. CCI mini mags are the best for my gun.

Al