Pre-1899 purchase

Guest HvyMtl

Guest HvyMtl

I do have a question, and would like to be guided to where I can confirm the law. (I am not asking opinion, just to the specific law so I can draw my own conclusions.)

Pre-1899 Antique firearms are not under the FFL or C&R requirements, but can be transferred across state lines in accordance to Fed Gun Control Act of 1968.

However, I want to make sure I do not burn myself. Is it still better to have the firearm transferred in to a FFL, even though it is dated pre-1899? Are there additional State Requirements, like the background check? I want to make sure I do this right, before I buy... as I am looking at an out of state shipped purchase.

Edited by HvyMtl
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can’t direct you to the laws, other than ATF.gov, but pre 1899 are not even logged into bound books.

Transfer through an FFL is always the best way to go if you are not sure of the laws or the status pertaining to the weapon.

The state doesn’t require a background check on private sales, but the FFL holder will.

Guest HvyMtl

Yeah,I just want to make sure Tennessee laws go with, and agree with the Fed control act of 1968. In accordance with the Fed law, the rifle I am looking at is not a "firearm" per se...

Thanks Jeff. Way lots of info. I will have to read up see what it says.

Got a line on a Finn Mosin with the receiver and barrel dated 1897... Wish me luck.

Edited by HvyMtl
Guest HvyMtl

yeah looking into that too, but want to hold off for now, might move...

Ok. I found the applying the Tennessee Code: 39-17-1303 and 39-17-1316.

It seems the Code specifically refers to "antique firearms" Federal definition for which firearm transactions must have background check...

Thanks again for the help.

Edited by HvyMtl