Which AR to buy

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldnt take it apart other than a field strip. There are a lot of good ARs built by do-it-yourselfers. Clean it, a bit of CLP and do a function test (Run a few rounds thru it using the charging handle), maybe a dry fire or 2. If it passes the function test, shoot it. Get on this forum and AR15.com and do a little reading and you'll figure it all out. Start here: Maintenance & Cleaning - AR15.COM

Edited by gotigers
Guest Todd@CIS
Just found out that this one was built on an RRA stripped lower receiver.

Did they sell it to you as a Rock River Arms complete rifle?

If so, I'd be pissed.

Looks like a good shooter.

Not trying to be a smart ass, but what does that "look" like?

You'll only know after you've shot a couple of hundred through it.

Anyway, any problems and I'd be happy to lend some AR armorer advice.

Todd -

Didn't take it as being a smart @ at all. It looks clean. Cannot see any obvious defects etc.

Yes - it was represented as a RRA rifle however there was no model number on it on the slip such as the MP15 that my SIL looked at and purchased.

While I am not exactly thrilled at the prospect that I was sold an RRA that may or may not be built with all RRA parts, I am still determining the course of action. Unfortunately getting out and shooting it is not in the calendar any time soon.

Guest Fwdftw

uh.. id go talk to them im be pissed off if i was sold a RRA and got a Lego Ar... You can get a smith around 800 at guns and ammo.. go talk to them james will do you right.

Talked to Chance at Classic Arms - Thanks for the good service he is going to swap it out for an M&P when they come in.

Great customer service there. Apparently he was aware that it was a "lego" but I wasn't and I should have asked.

They are definitely making it right so thanks for the info and the heads up.

Guest Halfpint

To clarify a couple things . . .

I was aware the gun was a "lego" AR, but I wasn't in the shop at all when it was sold, otherwise I'd have said something. The owner's system of tagging guns goes by the lower, which is why the gun was simply marked as an RRA and not as a build.

While I can't speak for the store in an official capacity, I'd like to extend a personal and public apology to Brian for the way the AR was marked and sold, and I hope that we can work things out in a satisfactory manner.

Chance - It's all good. I don't hold you or Classic Arms totally responsible. I did not do my due diligence. You are already taking a step to make it right and I am sure that the store will also.

Thanks for all of the help. We need to talk to the owner about tagging.

Not to mention if I go ahead and get the M&P (which I will likely do) then I will be able to get additional magazines.

I knew that Classic Arms would make it right which is why I stated that --

While I am not exactly thrilled at the prospect that I was sold an RRA that may or may not be built with all RRA parts, I am still determining the course of action. Unfortunately getting out and shooting it is not in the calendar any time soon.
Followed by:

I am currently trying to get more information from them. I don't care for G&A. I have never had good service from them.

I will keep you posted.

and finally

Talked to Chance at Classic Arms - Thanks for the good service he is going to swap it out for an M&P when they come in.

Great customer service there. Apparently he was aware that it was a "lego" but I wasn't and I should have asked.

They are definitely making it right so thanks for the info and the heads up.

Hope I didn't offend anyone or make anyone think that Classic Arms would not do the right thing. I had to determine what I wanted first before I contacted them. I did and it appears they are going to make it right.

Good customer service in my opinion.

Now - let's talk about when the new one will be in......

Guest Fwdftw

Lol idk man I get taken care of everytime I step foot in g&a :( just can't beat no tax on weapons and they got a hellluva good deal on smiths right now , but I'm glad classic took care of ya!

Thinking about Keltec PLR-16 as companion piece. Wait till you hear THAT!

- Oh "Eh? What say?" Shoot

Those are flame shooters... What a hoot to shoot. Fire away and watch the grass, dust, and anything else just in front of you scatter.. lol

don't forget the earplugs.. you'll need em for sure.

Lol idk man I get taken care of everytime I step foot in g&a :D just can't beat no tax on weapons and they got a hellluva good deal on smiths right now , but I'm glad classic took care of ya!

They have charged me tax on everything and have always been dicks to me. Unfortunately, they have the biggest selection in town though so I keep going back.

Guest Fwdftw

Well Byrd I've never paid tax on any gun from James and the guys at g&a everytime I go I can talk to anyone..even the old guy haha bunny they call em, James is my go to Ar guy... And as long as you pay Cash or Debit firearms are tax free

Well I got screwed then. I paid cash for my M9 and they sure as hell charged me tax for it. oh well. like I said, I don't like the place or the guys there but they almost always have what Im looking for when noone else does.

Well Byrd I've never paid tax on any gun from James and the guys at g&a everytime I go I can talk to anyone..even the old guy haha bunny they call em, James is my go to Ar guy... And as long as you pay Cash or Debit firearms are tax free

ummm...thats illegal as hell...tax better be included or the TN Sales Tax commission will be up their a$$ so fast....you definitely shouldnt post this on a public board....(mods feel free to delete my post).

Well I got screwed then. I paid cash for my M9 and they sure as hell charged me tax for it. oh well. like I said, I don't like the place or the guys there but they almost always have what Im looking for when noone else does.
ummm...thats illegal as hell...tax better be included or the TN Sales Tax commission will be up their a$$ so fast....you definitely shouldnt post this on a public board....(mods feel free to delete my post).

I have bought one pistol from them and I reminded the fella that sold it to me that there was no taxes.

All they have done is include the taxes in the "sticker price" so if you pay cash or debit you only have to fork over another $10 for the background check. Now if you don't remind the sells person and they don't mention it you get charged double tax and the store makes that much more on the firearm.

I am glad they are taking care of you Saintsfan. Chance is good people.

They may tell you that your not paying the sales tax, but they are. They can say whatever they want. If it costs $100 it would be $109.75 after tax. So, what they are doing is selling it for $91 or so plus tax. But they are paying the tax.

Edit: G&A stopped doing that the last time i was there.

Edited by gotigers
Guest Fwdftw

Then why does g&a have the best damn prices on glocks..And awhole lotta other guns.. M&ps as well.. And when I go to rusa and even checked with classic they couldn't beat or even match guns and ammo..regardless of "tax" free I'm not tryin to bash on anyone