Best XD model for carry

I am looking to purchase my first pistol and I also intend get the carry permit for it. I have researched gun choice and have settled on either an XD9 or XD40 (will rent both for test-fire in the near future to finalize decision).

I would like some input regarding ease of carry/concealment of the different models. The Tactical appears out of the question for concealment but the difference between the Service, Compact, and Sub-Compact models does not seem that great, especially with the extended grip magazine on the compacts.

Any comments greatly appreciated.....

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is just as possible to conceal a 5" XD as a 4" XD, since the grip-frames are the same size. The extra barrel length does make a slight difference in comfort, and the amount which you notice it's there, but does not impede concealment, using a good IWB holster.

But, since you ask... I do prefer to carry my 4" XD-357 over my 5" XD-45. But that's mainly because I generally carry using an OWB holster.

The 3" XDs are very easy to conceal, and I would expect the XD-45 Compact models to be, as well.

Choose the pistol which fits and functions best for you, when shooting it, and then try a few different holsters. A good holster makes a huge difference in carry comfort and concealment... remember, your sidearm should be comforting, first, comfortable second.

Out of the entire XD lineup, my opinion is that the XD-45 Compact is the best balance between all of the good qualities in the others. I don't own one yet, but intend to add one to my collection ASAP. From the choices you gave, I would suggest getting the XD-9 Service... since this is your first carry pistol. It's always best to start with a caliber which is cheap to shoot alot (since you'll need to get plenty of trigger-time and practice to familiarize yourself with it). 9mm is certainly an adequate caliber for self-defense, and would exhibit more controllable recoil characteristics.

Welcome!

molonlabetn

I feel the same way that Tungsten and molonlabetn feel on this one. I have a 4" XD .40 and just traded off a Sub-Compact XD .40. The Sub-Compacts are very concealable and you can conceal a 5" Tactical about as easy as a 4" service. The Compact .45 is about the best of the bunch. The grip on the Compact isn't that much larger than the Sub-Compacts (there's a thread over on the XD board with pics comparing the two) and offer a longer sight radius for better accuracy, not to mention .45 ACP punch.

Guest nitrous_mike

My XD sub compact 40 is rather easy to carry. If I was not set on getting a Benelli I would pick up a XD 45 compact to have as well. But I have been known to carry my 7.62x25 as well so it is like comparing trying to park a LWB crew cab dually to a mini cooper lol.

Guest nitrous_mike
I was in a sporting goods store today in MS. I seen the XD-45ACP for like $459 I believe. Is that a good price? Or is it too much/too little?

If I remember right Parkway has 509 or 519 on the compact xd45. Maybe that will give you an idea of what the local market is around here. BTW were you at Lonnie's ?

Guest GlocKingTN
If I remember right Parkway has 509 or 519 on the compact xd45. Maybe that will give you an idea of what the local market is around here. BTW were you at Lonnie's ?

Thats exactly where I was!

I need to get my hands on one of those XDs, so I can see what all the fuss is about :D

But I don't know of any Springfield dealers near me :confused:

I would bet that there is some in the Jackson area, if not I know for sure there are in Memphis and Nashville.

I would bet that there is some in the Jackson area, if not I know for sure there are in Memphis and Nashville.

True, maybe I'll just get to one of the larger gunshows sometime this spring

I find the Taurus 1911 interesting too, I'm hoping they'll come out with a

Commander sized model

Guest nitrous_mike

I am not sure what all Bucks N' Ducks will have but they are supposed to be a large store in Dyersburg their online store sucks but here is a link with their number and location http://webstorespro.com/homepage.asp?u=30926344229605 . As far as shops in Jackson Parkway gun and pawn usually has the best prices in town here is some contact info for them http://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=com.google:en-US:official&q=parkway+gun+and+pawn&near=Jackson,+TN&radius=0.0&latlng=35614444,-88813889,16899218769834000647&sa=X&oi=local&ct=authority

I hope that helps you out some, maybe SA will have their store locater function running here soon.

My XD was 480+ the fees and taxes, which at the time was a good price. I carry a .45 4" at all times. If I'm in a jacket, I have a blackhawk paddle holster which is very comfortable. Without a jacket, I've got a belly band which holds my pistol comfortably at about 5 o'clock to 5:30. Even in the summer with a t-shirt, the 4" rides and conceals well.

I actually fired an XD9 Service on Sunday and liked the gun quite well. I believe this is the model/calibre I will purchase in the near future, if I can find one reasonably priced (looks like they are running 500-525 around here).

Any additional thoughts on holsters/carry method?

Have you tried a 40SW XD Service yet? I have an XD9 Service myself but often wish it was the 40SW instead. The ammo isn't that much more expensive than the 9mm and the slight increase in recoil isn't even worth noting in my opinion.

And for poops and giggles you can buy a 9mm barrel that slides right in and have 2 guns for the price of one and around $150!

At least try the 40 before you buy, there is a reason they are so popular, they are the best of both worlds, 9mm & .45.

And on the price of ammo, I just bought 500 rounds for $92,this includes tax, they are factory reloads.

Tungsten

I am planning to rent a 40 tomorrow or Thursday and fire a box through it to test; however, the XD40 available at the range is a sub-compact.

I am leaning towards a sub-compact anyway so I figured it would serve as a good test. If 40 sub works for me I am sure a 9 sub will too.

Guest GlocKingTN

I am leaning towards a sub-compact anyway

I just cant make myself like a sub-compact weapon. Mainly because of the size of my hands. It feels like Im gonna drop it. However, I did like the way that DeeZee's G30 felt. Although it is a compact! I dont care for those either, but I did like his!

Well, I fired a box of ammo through an XD40 sub-compact today and came to a few realizations:

1 I liked the sc better (used full-sized mag)

2 I do not like .40

3 I need lots of practice

Now I am down to decision time - I know I want 9mm

but need to decide on 3" or 4" model.

I am leaning towards the sc.