Obama Denies Individual Aid for Storm Relief

Guest FroggyOne2

Guest FroggyOne2

President Barack Obama has denied aid to individuals affected by March’s massive storms and Gov. M. Jodi Rell said she plans to file a formal appeal.

The decision comes just days after Obama approved the state’s request for a “major disaster declaration,” which provides financial help to state and municipal governments in Fairfield, Middlesex and New London counties.

Storms plagues the state, especially these counties from March 12 to 14 and from March 29 to 31.

Rell was looking for help for homeowners, renters and employers.

“The storms that battered our state last month left a trail of astonishing devastation in their wake – crushed cars, homes struck by trees, week-long power outages and staggering flooding,” Rell said. “People and businesses all across Connecticut were left with millions of dollars in damage. They need help.

Rell called the decision “disappointing” and has started gathering information to file a formal appeal.

“I have directed our state emergency management officials to immediately gather whatever information may be needed to further support our application for assistance. I will also work with our Congressional delegation and with the Federal Emergency Management Agency to continue pursuing this matter until all avenues for aid are exhausted,” she said.

A survey was conducted that identified 1,315 homes in the five counties with damages totaling $5,262,100 in estimated housing assistance needs and “other needs assistance.” Rell's broader request also looked for help for Fairfield, Middlesex and New London counties, as well as New Haven and Windham counties.

The Small Business Administration determined that 116 businesses were affected and estimated the damages at $5,359,250.

Edited by FroggyOne2
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This kinda thing just blows my mind. He's quick to give aid to other countries when they suffer from natural disasters, but does nothing to help the states in this country in their time of need.

This one has me scratchin' too. Sounds like he's helping the state, just not individuals.

This country needs to place a moratorium on aid to foreign countries until our own people are taken care of and the national debt is paid off. We can't legitimately help other countries while digging ourselves into oblivion.

Imagine that... take the 20-30 billion per year doled out across the globe and slow down our spiral into insolvency.

This one has me scratchin' too. Sounds like he's helping the state, just not individuals.

Well yeah, "state and municipal governments" which could possibly lead to aid for individuals in some form.

My honest opinion is kinda harsh in a way, because I would expect those homeowners and small businesses should have insurance to cover most of their losses, so I can't say that I would completely disagree with denying them. The part that "fries my bacon" is that he is quick to give this kinda aid to those in other countries such as during the Haiti disaster. As I've said before, I feel for the people in these situations in other countries, and I'm all for donating time and money to help them out. However, I do not agree with our government forcing us (as taxpayers) to donate, when they do not do the same here in this country.

Well, if you believe in the collective, how can you also believe in the individual? What did you expect from him?

I'm sorry and don't want offend anyone but this chaps my ass. Obama is a real piece of work. Let's give money to a bunch of vodoo worshiping drug dealers in Haiti but scew you the people. I guess spreading the wealth only applies to illegals and such.

Well yeah, "state and municipal governments" which could possibly lead to aid for individuals in some form.

My honest opinion is kinda harsh in a way, because I would expect those homeowners and small businesses should have insurance to cover most of their losses, so I can't say that I would completely disagree with denying them. The part that "fries my bacon" is that he is quick to give this kinda aid to those in other countries such as during the Haiti disaster. As I've said before, I feel for the people in these situations in other countries, and I'm all for donating time and money to help them out. However, I do not agree with our government forcing us (as taxpayers) to donate, when they do not do the same here in this country.

In Connecticut? It's the insurance capital of the US

Guest Sgt. Joe
Well, if you believe in the collective, how can you also believe in the individual? What did you expect from him?

I "Think" this is what I was thinking.

He dont mind to give the money so long as the Govt even if it is local or state stays in control of it.

If what 6.8 said isnt what I was thinking what I said is :lol:

This country needs to place a moratorium on aid to foreign countries until our own people are taken care of and the national debt is paid off. We can't legitimately help other countries while digging ourselves into oblivion.

Imagine that... take the 20-30 billion per year doled out across the globe and slow down our spiral into insolvency.

It's not just the Gov that does that.

It's the "American way" to help those that are in need.

It's just in our nature to do so.

As long as those in which we are helping can not be seen.

**** the family living on the streets that we pass by everyday.

**** their kid that can not go to school because they're homeless.

But send money to some kid in a 3rd world country so he may go to school :lol: