Gun City Problem

Guest dedzone

Guest dedzone

All:

On 4/9 I attempted to purchase a Walther for my wife as a anniversary gift (trusting aren't I) at Gun City. For the first time ever I got denied by TICS (this is a side matter and I have wrote about it elsewhere and it is getting resolved - old stuff that should not be out there).

Anyway - I am given a Conditional Proceed after 20 days but of course Gun City will not transfer the firearm as they don't for any Conditional. I ask for a refund and Larry tells me that I have to come back later but I will lose 25% of my purchase money. I ask why and he says look at my reciept. So I do - it states:

" Items not picked up in 30 days or PERMIT disapproved: 25% of purchase price forfeited".

This does not apply to me. I am no longer "denied" and what is this permit stuff anyway. And we are still under 30 days. So - now what do I do? I am considering getting a lawyer and suing the taste out of their mouth. All I want is MY money back if they don't want to release the firearm.

Howard :lol:

Edited by dedzone
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is good for people that your story is out there. Any of us could be denied or delayed on our next purchase. Your experience would stop me from ever setting foot in the place.

Also this another reason to do gun purchases on a credit card. If you disputed the charges with your bank you would get your charge reversed most likely.

Guest dedzone

They do have the gun "in the safe" or so they told me. I told them I wanted my money back as this is now at the FBI and will not be resolved within the 30 days - thus I will have start the whole transaction over and they really will be entitled to the 25%. I have already contacted two lawyers. There are protections under the Tenn. Consumer Protection Act as well as sanctions under the FFL laws that can be leveraged if necessary. They have already had their share of problems (including current ones....) that I have learned of since this mess started.

I have filed a VAF with the FBI so this will not be an issue in the future. In the mean time - one frustrated vet...

Thanks,

Howard

Guest bkelm18
All:

On 4/9 I attempted to purchase a Walther for my wife at Gun City. For the first time ever I got denied by TICS (this is a side matter and I have wrote about it elsewhere and it is getting resolved - old stuff that should not be out there).

Anyway - I am given a Conditional Proceed after 20 days but of course Gun City will not transfer the firearm as they don't for any Conditional. I ask for a refund and Larry tells me that I have to come back later but I will lose 25% of my purchase money. I ask why and he says look at my reciept. So I do - it states:

" Items not picked up in 30 days or PERMIT disapproved: 25% of purchase price forfeited".

This does not apply to me. I am no longer "denied" and what is this permit stuff anyway. And we are still under 30 days. So - now what do I do? I am considering getting a lawyer and suing the taste out of their mouth. All I want is MY money back if they don't want to release the firearm.

Howard :P

Just so you know, that is considered a "straw purchase" and isn't exactly legal.

I believe you can buy your spouse a gun as long as they are not prohibited from guns. If I buy my wife a gun is it still not my gun? Possesions are both of our property anyway.

Makes me wonder what they law actually is ( not that I ever have to worry about buying my wife a gun LOL)

Guest HvyMtl

I went there once, to price check before my first purchase. They showed me the basement gun range. That little piece of Heck they claim as a range turned me off. NOT vented, no A/C - and I went in there in July... It had to be well over 110 F down there, broke a hard sweat in seconds...

Then I saw their Permit Class "teacher" with a hand missing, replaced with a claw. One of their salesmen, seeing my curiosity, indicated he had shot himself, or had a gun blow up, taking his hand. Salesman further indicated it was totally the fellow's fault. And then advised me it made him a better teacher... So. I passed.

Having your issue, for some reason, is not a surprise to me... at a loss as to why...

Edited by HvyMtl
Guest dedzone

You are allowed to purchase a firearm as a gift for anyone who is legally allowed to own/purchase a firearm. A straw purchase is any purchase whereby the purchaser is knowingly acquiring an item or service for someone who is, for whatever reason, unable to purchase the item or service themselves. (legal definition - not something I made up...)

Howard

Guest dedzone

You are allowed to purchase a firearm as a gift for anyone who is legally allowed to own/purchase a firearm. A straw purchase is any purchase whereby the purchaser is knowingly acquiring an item or service for someone who is, for whatever reason, unable to purchase the item or service themselves. (legal definition - not something I made up...)

Howard

Guest dedzone

Now that would be a straw purchase. But I am no longer denied. They could transfer the firearm to me legally at this point. They choose not to but don't want to refund my money either. Not all of it anyway.

That is what I am upset about. I will take my business elsewhere.

I should have asked around before going there but they where close to my work and had the gun I wanted at the right price.....

Customer Service - Priceless.

Guest Bronker
Now that would be a straw purchase. But I am no longer denied. They could transfer the firearm to me legally at this point. They choose not to but don't want to refund my money either. Not all of it anyway

That is what I am upset about. I will take my business elsewhere.

I should have asked around before going there but they where close to my work and had the gun I wanted at the right price.....

Customer Service - Priceless.

Dude! Don't take that crap laying down! I'd have my attorney friend send them a polite letter by friggin' daylight if they are in the wrong.

Sounds as if they are just being arses. Big surprise...they suck. The only one I have ever been able to tolerate is Terry. He's a pretty good fella.

Guest dedzone

Thanks and I am not taking anything lying down. I will give them 24 hours to reply to my appeal to logic and then I will have an appointment with the General Sessions Court Clerk to file some paperwork. It is just $100....but it is my $100.00

Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

Guest ryan02

I stopped in there one time, never will go back again. They had the gun I wanted but could not get any help and when I did get help the guy was useless. Went to Guns & Leather and have only bought from them since. Can't beat the crew in Greenbrier.

Guest Bronker
Thanks and I am not taking anything lying down. I will give them 24 hours to reply to my appeal to logic and then I will have an appointment with the General Sessions Court Clerk to file some paperwork. It is just $100....but it is my $100.00

Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

Roger that!

Just so you know, that is considered a "straw purchase" and isn't exactly legal.

just so you know that isn't a straw purchase, its only a straw purchase if she isn't legally able to possess a firearm. You can buy a gun as a gift and give it to someone as a present as long as they aren't prohibited from owning it.

To the starter of the thread, im sorry your having problems with Gun City... i assure you that your not alone. On the Conditional Proceed issue, thats all on TBI.... but Gun City should release the gun, most every other dealer I know will... the key word in the phrase tbi uses is "Proceed"... they dont say conditional stop or denied.

Anyway good luck, next time come see us and well hook ya up.

Guest Plainsman

I believe that you should tell that you have/are honorably serving your country and show them some sort of military ID (or "papers" now in Arizona). If a gun shop doesn't change their mind on their own after that, no one should support them. (Seeing that the customer is right in this given situation)

I do not understand the conditional thing. You are either good to go or not good to go. The .gov decides that not the retailer. And procceed only has one definition in this instance.

I was delayed once, told that unless I heard different they would give me the gun ten days down the road.