Gear Question

Gents (and ladies, of course), I am excited. A very good friend of mine has invited me to hunt deer with him on his family's land in Ohio. It's a shotgun hunt, and I'll take care of that part easy, since I've been meaning to buy a good all-around shotgun anyway; adding a slug barrel and sight will be too much fun to contemplate (you all understand completely, I'd guess). I need help with the other gear necessary to make a hunt decently comfortable.

The big shotgun hunt up there is the week after Thanksgiving, so it will likely be just above freezing and wet. What do you recommend in the way of a good pair of boots and outerwear?

I have some nice TN-appropriate Gore-Tex boots, but they're not insulated, so I've got to upgrade those. Since this is likely to be an annual deal, I don't want to go cheap, but neither do I want to break the bank on the flashiest thing out there. The last pair of serious cold weather boots I owned were rubber Sorels with felt liners - I'd like to do better, because we'll be covering miles through brush (more of a stalk hunt than a stand hunt).

I don't own any hunting clothing - my outerwear is for skiing. Please send recommendations on what you'd wear if it was 35 degrees and sleeting. Most of the boys up there wear Carhartt coveralls with a plastic blaze orange vest.

Your thoughts are appreciated,

Patrick

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Camouflage is totally over rated in deer hunting. That's why those in the Know don't really bother with it. Besides, your sticking blaze orange over it and the deer can't see it either!

What you want is NON UV reflective materials. Get cloth blaze orange so it's not shiny, reflective and "crinkly" when you move. I recommend a good midweight jacket and overalls so you can adjust your temp. Coveralls are great if you walk 20 yards and sit in a stand or blind but if you gotta hump some hills to get there, it's nice to take off the jacket and let a little cool air hit you so you don't lock in sweat.

When you shop, rub your outer garments together in the store! Don't ohh and aww, then get in the woods and hear that raspy sound everytime you move or worse, as you bring your shot gun up. There is some material that looks great, sheds water good, but feels like velcro to my fingers if they are dry and sounds like sandpaper being used on glass when you move your arms up from your sides! Get the quiet stuff!

Layers, layers, layers. I wouldn't bother with all that high tech Under Armor and ScentBlock stuff. Get a good quality long sleeve under garment. Don't know the fabrics name but it's like a brushed cotton that I have. Standard cotton long sleeve "hunting shirt over that, sweats or long john style underwear for the legs. I'm naturally able to stay warm (chunky is the tech term) so I don't need many layers. You could add as you know your body.

Thick wool or those new blended hunting socks and 1000 gram thinsulate or higher knee high rubber hunting boots and hand warmers and you'll be fine. Head gear, I like to hear everything so ears are always open. Mild frostbite has occurred but nothing has fallen off. I use a blaze orange watch cap or one of those slick new fleece caps and stick a hand warmer in the fold on my neck. If you keep your head warm, you will be warm.

Not sure you'll enjoy stalk hunting, especially with a shotgun. Scouting the area, knowing where they travel and setting up will get you really decent shots. Having some others do a drive in that situation might work well too. Walking in or out, I have jumped deer many times. Only one taken and he was stupid and stopped running. Never even took a shot at the rest. They move fast when you stumble upon them. Man portable climber stand is what you want!

Edited by Rightwinger
added something

I agree with everything above. The only thing I would add is to check the Ohio laws to see how much orange you are required to have before you buy clothing. Layers will defiantly be a key to a successful hunt. Be prepared to freeze your butt off sitting in a foot of snow, but it could also be very mild. In my opinion boots/gloves should be your most important purchase ( don't want those hand and feet to get cold and wet). I typically use 1000 gram gortex boots and it does the trick. You may want to ask about the property and see if you will be walking through/over creeks if you will be doing a stalk type hunt.

I have one rule when it comes to hunting clothing, no matter the weather or location. NO COTTON!

Buy really good base and middle layers. I wear Bass Pro Shops Redhead EnduraSkin base layer. The stuff is pretty amazing. It has silver ion thread and never gets stinky. I have worn it 3 days in a row without washing and it retains no odor. I have several different brands of middle layers, but I like the Rocky thermals pretty good. Polartec middle layers are awesome too. The synthetic clothes pull moisture off your body and they dry quick. They are also lighter and warmer and will keep you warm enough to live when wet.

I wear Walls 10X outerwear for windy or wet weather. It is like goretex but priced affordable. It works well. I hunted 7 days in northern Missouri last gun season and it rained all day every day. I was dry and comfortable under the 10X. Your goretex is fine as long as you wear the right stuff under it.

I like rubber boots for deer hunting. I have the Lacrosse Alpha Burly's. Mine are not insulated, but you can get them with insulation. I have worn mine in the low 20's with good thick socks and my feet weren't toasty, but they didn't hurt from cold either. These are the only rubber boots I would recommend for walking. Whatever you do, take 2 or 3 pairs of boots with you. Your Tennessee hunting boots will work fine for stalking. My feet never get cold walking, just stand hunting. They can always serve as a back up pair incase your other boots are soaked with rain or sweat. Nothing worse than having to put on wet boots and walk out into a cold day of hunting.

Good wool socks with a polypropylene sock liner. No blisters and comfortable feet all day. The sock liners are the key for me. Rocky makes some affordable wool blend hiking socks that Wal-mart carries during the winter. I have seen them at BPS too.

Edited by whiskey
Guest clutepc

I hunted in IL when it was -9 this past season and the biggest things I suggest are, good rubber boots, good gloves and something for your head.

I used a 1000 gram Thinsulate boots which was the only way to go.

The gloves I had were basic and I thought I could get by with, never again.

Get something that is warm yet still lets you do what you need to do without taking them off.

I also had hand and foot warmers but you maybe ok that time of year. Still may not hurt to carry some with you.

You need more information in regards to the nature of the hiking requirements. How much is this truly a spot and stalk. How much hiking might you do a day. What is the terrain and are there lowlands and rivers to cross, etc.

If it is basically hiking in a mile or so then standing once deer are located in the vicinity I would suggest one thing. If it is truly a lot of hiking my suggestions would be different. I am kind of a boot nut and have boots for all occasions, or nearly all. Ohio can certainly be wet in the fall and in some areas in it quite lowland with swampy conditions, though eastern Ohio is more hilly and less marshy.

I would never suggest 1000+ thinsulate for anything but tree stand. Definitely not heavily insulated rubber for true hiking any distance. You'll be miserable pretty quick and rubber boots are especially noisy. They retain moisture and are heavy. For moist conditions not in standing water some of the cordura nylon waterproof boots are high and still light and can be bought with light insulation, say 200. 200 to 400 for a lot of hiking is completely acceptable for a lot of hiking. I have used those types of boots very successfully in deer and grouse hunts in northern Ohio and Michigan, even down into the 20's. Gore tex leather boots can be quality stuff, though some boots don't need gore-tex or gore-tex type materials. That said my European Meindl's and my Russell Moccasins neither have gore type materials but both are of multiple layered leather, made of leather highly resistant to water. In fact I have stood for hours in water in both w/o getting wet. Boots like that are pretty expensive though.

There are no boots for all occasions. If you hunt much you will collect at least 4-5 pairs for different needs. Mine range from cordura to rubber to leather. From non-insulated to 1000+. From crepe soles to heavy terrain vibram type soles. From safari boots to alpine boots. Low top to 15" and snake proof.

I would suggest buying boots that have a bit of insulation and are 8-10" high. Socks should be worn in two layers, a liner sock and a thicker sock. They should be a good material, never ever cotton. Wear moleskin on your heels and make sure you boots fit well. If you will be hiking a great deal with possible long periods of sitting, get boot slippers which you can put over your when sitting then pull off for hiking. I have found them to work great.

Always, always, always layer your clothing and begin with a good quality base layer, again never cotton. Use something that wicks moisture away from the skin. You don't have to get Under Armor, lots of good quality manufacturers out there, Sierra Trading Post in a great place to start. This time of year you can find great deals. Unless you are bow hunter I have never found patterns of camo to matter much for deer. Hunters use about every type imaginable and some don't use camo gear, though most do today because most of the good gear comes camo. In fact in the last couple of years I cannot honestly say I remember hunting with anyone wearing anything but camo, outside of bird hunting.

But make sure your outerwear is fairly light, doesn't make a lot of noise and has several different methods for keeping water out. There are many good choices. What comes in between the base and outer layer is up to you. But at least 3-4 layers and a windproof vest or light jacket is always a good medium layer product as well. Waterproof gloves and a waterproof hat with good insulating properties are both an absolute must. Remember the two things that will get to you are water and wind. Both will make you miserable.

Overall though I would say most people pay careful attention to most every aspect of clothing and pay the least attention to their feet. Rule #1, buy the very best pair of boots you can afford. If your feet go bad, nothing in the world will make you happy. Proper boots that fit very very well with proper socks are an absolute must. Boots last for years for most people, unless you are a guide, ranger or some other outdoor professional having to wear them in the same difficult conditions day after day. And every one of those guys will say buy the best boots you can afford even if they only last them one or two seasons.

You can take my advice for what it is, my opinion. Mine is based on experience and having been prepared and under prepared for past situations. I'll take over prepared every day over the alternative. You never regret being over prepared. Most of the times I haven't been prepared it was because I made a wrong choice and had to pack very lightly due to weight restrictions. In a situation like yours sounds to be, driving up there, I suggest taking several boots and choices of clothing since it likely will be back at the cabin come nightfall.

Edited by Warbird

I have hunted in the temp. zone for years. I am thin. I spent mornings an evenings sitting and the afternoons do drives. Here are my suggestions:

Smart Wool socks from LL Bean. My buddies and I agree best ever.

Sitting with 800 grams Thinsulate boots are good, may be hot walking.

Take toe heaters just incase. Use spray antipersperant on your feet to min. sweating and chilly toes. If walking 400 grams will be fine.

Underwear: no cotton only synthetics

I wore an an army coat with layers as the coat blocks the wind and is very thorn resistant. The thorns can be very bad!!! I even wore chaps for drives as did most of the guys.

Fleece is great for layering but if your coat is lined with fleece it will be hard to get on over fleece. fleece vests are nice for layers.

Neck gator is required....it is light and great for layering. The fleece head and neck warmers are good. You can wear a light hat only or wear the fleece an put the light hat over it.

Hand: I always have cold hands hunting even when buying the warmest Cabellas has. I have not tried this but have been told it works well....buy a hand muff and mid wait gloves. Put a hand warmer in the muff for when you are sitting.

Pants depends on temps. Light ones with thermal under wear are good. if really cold and sitting I wear surplus German army wool pants.

Assume there will always be at least a breeze, so wind blocking clothing is very important.

Guest redbarron06

Once you get your clothing together get a airtight container that is scent prof. Deer rely on their nose more than their eyes. They can smell better than a blood hound. Wash all of your stuff in a scent free detergent (found in the sporting goods section not next to the Tide) or even a detergent with a earth cover scent. Dry them with no dryer sheet or a earth cover scent sheet then put it all in the scent proof container along with the socks and boots and dont put them on until you are at the property getting ready to head out. In areas where the hunting pressure is low you might be able to get away with some mistakes but most of OH is high pressure and you will be showing up after the bow season so take no chances.

My number one rule, regardless of what you wear, is that it is not too tight. Especially with gloves and boots. Start with keeping your core warm, then allow your circulation to do the rest. The coldest weather I have hunted in was 6 degrees with about a 15 mph wind. I had on two pairs of smartwool socks, uninsulated LL Bean boots, and wool liner gloves from the army surplus store. My face was the only thing that got cold, and on that note, avoid anything that covers your face.

As far as keeping the core warm, I wear thermal underwear, lined trousers, and insulated overalls. top, I wear long sleeve poly shirt, wool sweater, and usually polar fleece with an outer shell if there is wind. I too am not big on camo; overrated.

Guest JimMc

Rightwinger makes a good point of camo being over rated. Deer ain't color blind, yet see different than us. They can see white, blue and yellow way better than we can. Try and avoid those colors in your attire.

Once you get your clothing together get a airtight container that is scent prof. Deer rely on their nose more than their eyes. They can smell better than a blood hound. Wash all of your stuff in a scent free detergent (found in the sporting goods section not next to the Tide) or even a detergent with a earth cover scent. Dry them with no dryer sheet or a earth cover scent sheet then put it all in the scent proof container along with the socks and boots and dont put them on until you are at the property getting ready to head out. In areas where the hunting pressure is low you might be able to get away with some mistakes but most of OH is high pressure and you will be showing up after the bow season so take no chances.

Another great point here. My solution to scent blocking may not work up where your going. I have a full size plastic storage bin on wheels that I keep in the garage. I store all my hunting clothes in it after washing them in scent free detergent. The kicker is I have an old pillow case that I fill with cedar shavings. Bag is a few bucks from any store that services pets. All the clothes have had plenty of time to absorb a very light scent of cedar and it's pleasing to put on.

Why it might not work for you? Are there cedar trees where your going? Never use a scent for something that is not natural in that area. We were trying to pattern some deer down in Wayne Co a few years back and set up trail cameras all around the property. One guy got a deal on red apples by the burlap sack. He spread two bags around two of his cameras. NO DEER ! These were in or near sites where plenty of deer had been seen before. They wouldn't come near the things. We saw a oppossum, but pretty much two bushels of apples rotted in the woods. No cedar, don't use this method!

Once I'm in the field, I will "smoke wash" my outer garments if I have worn them quite a bit or got hot and sweated at all. A good wood fire of oak, hickory or cedar again provides a quick odor cover or elimination. Just wave your coat and overalls through the smoke a few times. Folks down where I hunt use wood stoves in abundance and the smell is quite normal.

I also don't bring any of my outer hunting cloths that would be hung up inside the cabin. Cook something inside with your clothes on a peg nearby and you might as well tell everything down wind your a steak or hamburger eater!! LOL

A final quick fix to help, and my brother used to laugh heartily at me until I kept getting kills, before you walk in, find a nice leafy area, damp actually works better, and roll around in them. Natural "mossy earth" smell anybody? You look stupid as hell, but I'll look stupid going in while draggin something out later!