Mounted tactical light or handheld?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like the other have said, I use both. One problem that most have with a weapon light is not fully understanding its usefulness. Now when I say that I am not trying to belittle anyone. I am simply going off my experience and training.

A weapon mounted light is for controlling a situation/suspect/bad guy whatever your mission dictates. For instance, you have identified a threat and you need to power that threat up for identification purposes or controlling his movements.

For searching you should use a quality combat light coupled with good tactics and your weapon platform. It is hard to believe all the issues that come to play with using a light in conjunction with your firearm. Force on Force testing will show you where your tactics are valid or deadly for you.

Don't get me wrong, I am a very strong advocate of a weaponlight but training to search and shoot with a hand held light is foremost. The weapon light is secondary. I have a weaponlight on EVERY gun I own for defensive purposes. Just like all my cars have headlights on them.

I have worked nights 15 out of my 17 years in law enforcement and I always have plenty of light around. I like to dominate the night!:D

Good luck and let me know if you need anything else!

Yeah I use a TLR1 on my duty weapon. I love the light. I also have a Insight XTI Procyon on my off duty weapon. I run one of those on one of my rifles as well.

I too run a Fenix. This little jewel is 225 lumens and works flawlessly. I bought the rechargeable battery for it and I must say I am very pleased with it. I have a ton of Streamlights, surefires and a couple of Gladius lights as well but the TK11 is my favorite light.

I was watching some of the Magpul DVDs and they made the point of saying that a weapon mounted light is a good idea because you might need that other had for something else, like opening a door, or holding your child to get out of a bad situation, or possibly moving a wounded buddy or family member. They were advocating it more for carry however I haven't felt the need to carry one on my carry gun I definitely have one on the bedside gun.

Guest bart_p

A handheld light is invaluable in pretty much all nighttime situations. I always carry a handheld light if I plan on being out after dark. They should be used for most searching applications where you are unsure of a potential threat. On the other hand, if you already know a threat is present then a weapon mounted light should be employed. The way I look at it is if you felt the need to draw your weapon in the first place, then the debate about covering a potential perp to light them up with your weapon mounted light is void. I have two Raven holsters for my EDC rig. I have one for standard w/o light and one for w/ light. Both are IWB and both are very comfortable/durable. I am actually going to do an extensive review with pictures for you all in the near future.

Oh by the way: I prefer the Surefire X series lights among others.

Bart

My ONLY little teeny tiny concern with a regular every day citizen (not police/LE) having a weapon mounted light on his/her carry gun is that people tend to go for the light switch over the trigger. When you train with this set up, you need to evaluate if you are going for the light or for the trigger when you draw your weapon. Muscle memory is a funny little animal and if you train yourself to "paint the target" with your light before firing, you may end up wasting that time during an actual life or death confrontation.

The reason I excluded Law Enforcement from this reasoning is that they are, daily, dealing with situations where they must use that light prior to the pulling of triggers (clearing a room for an armed suspect, etc....and yes, a handheld light will work better at times as you are not constantly "covering" everything in your path with your firearm".)

A civilian that is carrying for immediate self defense (and I am not referring to while you are at home with your gun...for that a handheld flashlight will work) will probably need the trigger more than the light switch. If you draw that gun in defense of your life, your finger better be going to the trigger and not the light switch.

Edited by Ben
spell

Both... 2 reasons:

1) A redundant source of light is a must, for when Murphy's law kicks in. I might not need it, but if I do I'll need it bad.

2) I don't want to shoot everything I illuminate, but I want to illuminated everything I shoot. The handheld takes care of the first, and the mounted takes care of the second...

Guest bart_p
My ONLY little teeny tiny concern with a regular every day citizen (not police/LE) having a weapon mounted light on his/her carry gun is that people tend to go for the light switch over the trigger. When you train with this set up, you need to evaluate if you are going for the light or for the trigger when you draw your weapon. Muscle memory is a funny little animal and if you train yourself to "paint the target" with your light before firing, you may end up wasting that time during an actual life or death confrontation.

The reason I excluded Law Enforcement from this reasoning is that they are, daily, dealing with situations where they must use that light prior to the pulling of triggers (clearing a room for an armed suspect, etc....and yes, a handheld light will work better at times as you are not constantly "covering" everything in your path with your firearm".)

A civilian that is carrying for immediate self defense (and I am not referring to while you are at home with your gun...for that a handheld flashlight will work) will probably need the trigger more than the light switch. If you draw that gun in defense of your life, your finger better be going to the trigger and not the light switch.

I'm going to question you on this one. Have you ever used a weapon mounted light on a pistol? If you have, how did you activate the light? The reason I ask is because most, if not all the weapon lights I've seen/used have a switch of some sort on both sides. This allows the operator to activate the light with their support hand thumb. This aspect negates your point to an extent, but I can see how if someone didn't realize that is what they are supposed to be doing they would assume to activate it with their trigger finger. So I will meet you in the middle: If a person uses/activates the light the way it is designed to be used and trains to do it that way under stress, there is no reason not to have/use one as long as it can be carried with little problem.

Bart

I'm going to question you on this one. Have you ever used a weapon mounted light on a pistol? If you have, how did you activate the light? The reason I ask is because most, if not all the weapon lights I've seen/used have a switch of some sort on both sides. This allows the operator to activate the light with their support hand thumb. This aspect negates your point to an extent, but I can see how if someone didn't realize that is what they are supposed to be doing they would assume to activate it with their trigger finger. So I will meet you in the middle: If a person uses/activates the light the way it is designed to be used and trains to do it that way under stress, there is no reason not to have/use one as long as it can be carried with little problem.

Bart

Hey Bart,

My point was really that as a civilian, the light on the pistol can become a distraction rather than an asset when outside of the home. Meaning, as a civilian, the "likely" attack will be fast and direct and when people train to draw and "light up" the target after every draw stroke, using both hands, and then pull the trigger, (even if that lag time is half a second), they will do the same in a confrontation where they should be going to the trigger immediately.

I fully understand your point regarding using the support side thumb to activate the rocker switch on a pistol mounted light, and I was using the M6x for a while on my CZ P01 (2 years ago), but I just found it to be more of a distraction and a stand alone surefire in my pocket was a better fit. Just my feelings and opinion.

There is nothing inherently negative about having a pistol mounted light as long as people understand that it is a tool, a secondary attribute of the gun and not the primary "go to" focus. Let's be honest here, for most civilians, the weapon mounted light is just another "Tacticool" feature that make them feel like they are playing SWAT. :lol: (I did not say "for all civilians..I said for MOST.)

For me, the focus, once my gun clears the holster, must be on going straight to the trigger with my right hand, and using my support hand as a weapon against a close-in attack.

My draw utilizes my support hand to strike, grab, push and defend from close range and not immediately bring both hands to the pistol. (just a different approach since most of these confrontations take place at very close range.) For LE/Police/Military, a weapon mounted light is vital.

Anyways brother, you have a very solid point. I have no arguments really, just wanted to make a little point based on my opinion and understanding of human nature.

The weapon mounted light may be a great tool for some people that understand it's value (and understand HOW to use it), as long as people do not use it as their primary focus. Light only kills gremlins.....:taunt:

Guest bart_p

True you are sir! Sometimes I need to remind myself that what works for me/what I like in a fighting system doesn't work/shouldn't be used by others in similar situations. You also have a very good point about using your support hand as a strike/block option which in turn invalidates my point in certain situations. I will wholeheartedly agree with you there. But, then again, if they are that close you should be very aware of your attackers intent and location and a light would be unneeded. I personally like options. I have two carry systems for my carry rig made to the same specs. The only difference is one is for w/ light attached and the other for without. I employ both frequently depending on my situation. Hell, I carry the other in my car so if I find myself out past dark a quick switch is in order.

Carry on sir!

Bart

True you are sir! Sometimes I need to remind myself that what works for me/what I like in a fighting system doesn't work/shouldn't be used by others in similar situations. You also have a very good point about using your support hand as a strike/block option which in turn invalidates my point in certain situations. I will wholeheartedly agree with you there. But, then again, if they are that close you should be very aware of your attackers intent and location and a light would be unneeded. I personally like options. I have two carry systems for my carry rig made to the same specs. The only difference is one is for w/ light attached and the other for without. I employ both frequently depending on my situation. Hell, I carry the other in my car so if I find myself out past dark a quick switch is in order.

Carry on sir!

Bart

Glad we are on the same team! Now, let's don our capes and go and fight evil!!! :2cents:

• 3 weeks later...

I started in law enforcement in the early eighties so an option of a hand held or mounted illumination system wasn't a choice. Later in my career, we pushed for weapon mounted lights and eventually got them. It wasn't by chance that it was approved. We had to give accurate and factual information that allowed this to happen. A great tactical flashlight (180 lumens or better) is a great backup but a pistol mounted light is a must and I'll tell you exactly why.

During stress (such as a life threatening situation) the body does some things automatically some beneficial and some detrimental.

• Sympathetic contraction - All digits on your hands contract when you only wanted selected to contract.
  • Hand confusion - Like sympathetic contraction, one hand may preform an action that was meant for the other.

Fundamental Negatives of shooting with hand held light:

• NO TWO HANDED GRIP ON WEAPON
  • Grip displacement on followup shots
  • Impossible to do with injured arm.

I would recommend if you do decide to use a flashlight for EDC that you learn to shoot one handed and without any type of hands together flashlight technique. Also keep in mind that when using a hand held flashlight that the beam of the light doesn't have to be centered on the area you're aiming at. Learn to shoot effectively within the outer portions of your lights beam.