Help. I screwed up my Ruger 22/45 mkIII

after reading the manual and watching some videos on the matter I decided to try my hand at tearing down this pistol. Well I got it apart and back together but now I can't get it apart again... So... Anyone in the chattanooga area an expert on these that can help me? or suggestions on a gunsmith who can take it apart for me? I want to install a Majestic arms Speed Strip kit because the factory way of disassembly is just bonkers. (I think i'll stick to my glocks)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

pull the trigger while you gently pull out the main spring housing. does it swing out?

edit: you may or may not have to insert the magazine when you do this. The goal is to get the hammer fully forward and out of the way.

Edited by byrnemm

haha. Maybe you're screwed? Try those links and see what you can do.

I find it comical that half of the advice is "turn the gun upside and shake it" but yeah.. it works. Somehow.

Most of that shaking is an attempt to move the hammer. Here is a picture:

Hammer.jpg

The most common problem with the mkIII is that that hammer is sticking up. It needs to lay flat for disassembly/reassembly.

Too bad you aren't in Nashville or I'd just fix it for you ;)

EDIT:

Also, there is a $20 solution that will make all your headaches disappear.

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/22sdtls.htm#mkiipin

CLK-515B Clark Blue Oversized Hammer Pin & Hammer Bushing Kit. Details $ 20.00

This part allows you to throw the magazine disconnect away, letting you easily eject magazines and saves you from that ridiculous field stripping process of inserting and ejecting the magazine every 2 steps. Not to mention it takes virtually all the creep out of the trigger!!! Easily the best upgrade available for the MkIII series.

Edited by byrnemm
after reading the manual and watching some videos on the matter I decided to try my hand at tearing down this pistol. Well I got it apart and back together but now I can't get it apart again... So... Anyone in the chattanooga area an expert on these that can help me? or suggestions on a gunsmith who can take it apart for me? I want to install a Majestic arms Speed Strip kit because the factory way of disassembly is just bonkers. (I think i'll stick to my glocks)

This happens to me all the time. Try to hold the trigger while pointing the gun at the floor. Gently bump the gun on the floor covered by a soft covering like towel, pillow, etc. It may take a few times before it works, but like another poster said, the hammer is in the wrong position. After a few good bumps, try once again to pry the mainspring housing bolt pin out again. What probably happened is the hammer strut is in the wrong position. If all else fails, call the customer service number for Ruger and let one of their reps talk you down off the ledge.

You can do this, you do not need a gunsmith. This is your gun, and this is just part of the learning curve. Once you do it a few times and screw up, you'll learn how to correct your mistakes. Hang in there!

P.S. Ruger's number is 928-778-6555

obviously I am doing something wrong. thats why I'm here asking for help. not here to be criticized for not following "procedure" I have taken this gun apart and put it back together several times before. this time though something happened and I have been unable to remedy it. I have been working at this for a few hours now (read all the posts people have shared/ i've found on google - tried all of them several times) still no dice. so thanks for your .02 but i'm looking for actual help at this point.

obviously I am doing something wrong. thats why I'm here asking for help. not here to be criticized for not following "procedure" I have taken this gun apart and put it back together several times before. this time though something happened and I have been unable to remedy it. I have been working at this for a few hours now (read all the posts people have shared/ i've found on google - tried all of them several times) still no dice. so thanks for your .02 but i'm looking for actual help at this point.

Morrisster,

We all understand your frustration. Been there, done that. Last time I took mine apart and cleaned it, the same thing happened and I worked on it for almost three hours off and on. Still highly recommend calling Ruger CS and talking to a live customer service rep. They are the best and do this every day of the week helping people just like you in this same situation. My deal happened on a Saturday night, and luckily I got it fixed before they called me on Monday.

Good luck.

Good luck man. Last time this happened to me I went to bed and forgot about it. Then after work the next day I approached it with a fresh mind and fixed it in 5 minutes.

Give those guntalk articles I linked you a good study, and then do yourself a favor - spend the $20+S&H and get the Clark bushing!

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but it really sounds like this is hammer/hammer strut related. When you pull the bolt back (it will let you do that, right?) and look into the chamber, is the silver hammer lying flat?

Did you have any pieces left over?

Like this

15-mkiimkiii-target-sear.jpg

or this...

645638.jpg

or this?

9-mkiii-target-hammer.jpg

Edited by byrnemm

thanks guys for your help, mike, no hard feelings.

no spare parts.

i took to heart the advice of my russian ancestors... "when in doubt, get a bigger hammer"

i got it back together, and apart and everything is good.

the takedown pin was snagging in the hole behind the sight. - its just a very tight tolerance.

see it was you :P

:P

the first few times I broke mine down the pin was a angry SOB to get out.

but thanks for this topic. It inspired me to get my 22-45 and go out in the woods and run a couple hundred rounds through it.

Just like cars, best to walk away and sleep on it, try again tomorrow.

Those guns are a PITA! Everything has to be done in a specific order. Good gun but really could have been designed a little more user friendly for take down.

I've taken my MkIII apart many times, after shooting lord knows how many rounds, and I still have to use a punch to start the process. Not only does the MkIII family teach marksmanship, they teach patience as well. I'm pretty much at the point where I'll strip it again about 9,000 rounds from now. I heard they run well dirty anyways, and mine sure hates a bath.