Legal Carry on Land Between the Lakes.

I am not advocating burglary, I was mainly speaking of this point for carrying a handgun on a job. Knowing that I obeyed my owner's property rights isn't going to mean much to me if I get shot by a crackhead. Most jobs I have worked at have said no carry, but since it was a gas station, I think I should carry anyways.

Well as long as it isn't illegal you can only be fired anyway. Not optimal in this economy, but it is what it is. Im for keeping a gun in my personal vehicle, but if an employer doesn't want you to have a gun in their private business that is their right.

Well as long as it isn't illegal you can only be fired anyway. Not optimal in this economy, but it is what it is. Im for keeping a gun in my personal vehicle, but if an employer doesn't want you to have a gun in their private business that is their right.

I don't agree with this. Working at a gas station, especially in a crackhead infested area, my life and right to self defense is more important than what the owner wants. I have actually been robbed before, this was before I had my permit.

The owner's arguments only apply to untrained people anyways, ADs, stuff like that.

What I mean is, thinking that I obeyed the property owner's wishes isn't going to be a whole lot of comfort if I am unable to defend myself if I really need to.

I don't agree with this. Working at a gas station, especially in a crackhead infested area, my life and right to self defense is more important than what the owner wants. I have actually been robbed before, this was before I had my permit.

The owner's arguments only apply to untrained people anyways, ADs, stuff like that.

What I mean is, thinking that I obeyed the property owner's wishes isn't going to be a whole lot of comfort if I am unable to defend myself if I really need to.

It's easy to say that, but it's also easy to say "Don't like it? Get a new job." I'm about as Pro 2A as it gets, but you can't start taking away people's rights to run their business the way they want. I do unarmed security man, in Memphis, at a hospital. I am constantly dealing with most of the same crap Memphis PD does due to our surroundings. I make arrests, chase crackheads and thieves, etc all without a gun. Would I like to be armed? Hell yes. Is it going to happen anytime soon? Nope. Am I going to work to change the minds of my employers? Yep. Am I going to lobby to overturn their rights as private business owners? Nope.

I think you need to do a little reading about the founding fathers and read a little bit more of the Constitution and Bill of Rights. You have a choice where you work, where you eat out, etc. In my opinion it is only when we pay for something, as taxpayers, that we should automatically be allowed to carry. A private business should be allowed to set it's own rules on it's employees and customers. You don't have to like it, but it's the way things were intended.

It's easy to say that, but it's also easy to say "Don't like it? Get a new job." I'm about as Pro 2A as it gets, but you can't start taking away people's rights to run their business the way they want. I do unarmed security man, in Memphis, at a hospital. I am constantly dealing with most of the same crap Memphis PD does due to our surroundings. I make arrests, chase crackheads and thieves, etc all without a gun. Would I like to be armed? Hell yes. Is it going to happen anytime soon? Nope. Am I going to work to change the minds of my employers? Yep. Am I going to lobby to overturn their rights as private business owners? Nope.

Most, if all gas stations don't allow carrying. I just feel that my life is more important than their property rights. The way I see it, toss a .380 in my pocket and don't tell anyone I'm carrying. I will also lobby to allow private businesses to not have a say in whether people can carry or not. If I am carrying and not causing any problems, it is none of their concern in the first place.

Most, if all gas stations don't allow carrying. I just feel that my life is more important than their property rights. The way I see it, toss a .380 in my pocket and don't tell anyone I'm carrying. I will also lobby to allow private businesses to not have a say in whether people can carry or not. If I am carrying and not causing any problems, it is none of their concern in the first place.

That attitude is pretty much why most business owners don't want us in their establishments. Self importance is not a good character trait.

It's been awhile since I was in M'boro, but I just don't see that many gas stations posted around Nashville (I can only think of one in the last 4 years). Is it really that bad down there?

That attitude is pretty much why most business owners don't want us in their establishments. Self importance is not a good character trait.

It is if you feel that your life is worth more than some arbitrary decision to disarm you. I'd rather be alive and have carried anyways, at a job, personally.

It's been awhile since I was in M'boro, but I just don't see that many gas stations posted around Nashville (I can only think of one in the last 4 years). Is it really that bad down there?

I was speaking of working there, and corporate policy.

It is if you feel that your life is worth more than some arbitrary decision to disarm you. I'd rather be alive and have carried anyways, at a job, personally.
I was speaking of working there, and corporate policy.

I understand what you are saying.

It's just that some say if there is a business that doesn't allow firearms by patrons or emplyoees, that by choosing to do business with them or work there you are disarming yourself not the business....

I understand what you are saying.

It's just that some say if there is a business that doesn't allow firearms by patrons or emplyoees, that by choosing to do business with them or work there you are disarming yourself not the business....

That is true, to an extent. The problem is that most jobs don't allow their employees to carry. Like I said, my life means more to me than someone's property rights. If I work 3rd shift at a gas station, which I did, I am the only one able to defend myself from a robbery or attempted murder. Some vague clause in the employee contract is not going to mean much when a methhead has a gun in my face "asking" for the money. I have been robbed before at a gas station, working 3rd. I didn't carry at the time, because I didn't have a permit.

What I am saying is it shouldn't even be an option for anyone to disarm you, ever, and this is what I advocate and lobby for. If I am carrying a handgun, it is for personal self defense, and is no one else's business.

That is true, to an extent. The problem is that most jobs don't allow their employees to carry. Like I said, my life means more to me than someone's property rights. If I work 3rd shift at a gas station, which I did, I am the only one able to defend myself from a robbery or attempted murder. Some vague clause in the employee contract is not going to mean much when a methhead has a gun in my face "asking" for the money. I have been robbed before at a gas station, working 3rd. I didn't carry at the time, because I didn't have a permit.

What I am saying is it shouldn't even be an option for anyone to disarm you, ever, and this is what I advocate and lobby for. If I am carrying a handgun, it is for personal self defense, and is no one else's business.

Again I understand...and part of me still somewhat agrees with you.

It's just lately I have felt if it is your property you should be able to control it as you see fit, without any outside interference.

The problem lately is the culture....guns are seen as bad regardless and the person with it is not judged on their own. Also everyone is looking for payday via the court system. Or stated differently, firearms and those that posses them are seen as a liability (in general at least) and property owners are trying to reduce their liability, whether real or perceived.

That being said, as long as an individual understands the consequences of carry where one does not wish it and is willing to accept them if found out...then carry on I say ;)

Some vague posting in an employee handbook doesn't sound like a legal posting under 39-17-1359? I'm pretty sure 3rd shift gas station positions are fairly easy to get... so getting fired, wouldn't hurt your chances of getting hired at another one in short order.

As for most jobs don't allow you to carry, I disagree, most small businesses have no policy against carrying a firearm, and if you're lucky you might even find one that supports their employees carrying.

I had a very nice job working for a fortune 100 company that had taken some very anti-gun stances... I took a small pay cut and left for a job where I could always carry where legally allowed... It's a question of making your own safety a priority.

Again I understand...and part of me still somewhat agrees with you.

It's just lately I have felt if it is your property you should be able to control it as you see fit, without any outside interference.

This makes sense to me, and I am all for it, except in the case where others are on your property, publicly, and might actually see the need for self defense arise. I have heard of several cases in and around Mboro where the clerk got shot by a robber. I know you aren't supposed to draw down on someone who already has their gun out, but if that guy is tweaking and I feel I am about to get shot, I will draw anyways. I had cops come in there all the time, great guys, and well trained, but they can't be everywhere at once. It might be corporate property, but when I am on it, I have to take my life in perspective, and property seems to pale compared to a human life.

I agree - and our trespassing laws are more than sufficient without allowing for extra and unequal legal ramifications against HCP holders.

• 6 months later...
Guest ArmaDeFuego

Ok back to the original topic: (& forgive me for necroing the post hehe... Its hard as hell finding LBL posts. The search box doesnt like the term "LBL" & Land Between the Lakes doesnt get many hits.... Anyways...)

Is LBL still considered to be a gray area? I went there today & got a "Rules & Regulation" from the Planetarium. Regarding firearms it says:

"Possession, transportation, or discharge of firearms, air guns, crossbows, bows & arrows, or other weapons or explosives (including fireworks) are prohibited except as authorized by hunting regulations or special permits."

Anyone think "special permits" refers to a state issued carry permit? I'm guessing thats not really what they are referring to, but if a ranger asked me about my gun I would show him that rule & say I thought thats what it was talking about. :rolleyes:

While working third shift at a station in Tyler Texas, I noticed a car making multiple cruise bys. I probably wouldn't have noticed except it was a bright yellow Prand Prix (love those) Eventually, the car pulled in at the side and two young men got out and adjusted ski masks. My hand went to the .45 auto the boss left in the drawer. They came running and hit the locked side door. My hand stayed on the gun as I pushed the silent alarm. They came to the front door (I was not allowed to lock the front) They opened the door...I pulled out the .45...the police pulled up. I still don't know to this day if the pistol was loaded. I know I was going to find out. Thanks to my boss I was armed.

Edited by bajabuc
Ok back to the original topic: (& forgive me for necroing the post hehe... Its hard as hell finding LBL posts. The search box doesnt like the term "LBL" & Land Between the Lakes doesnt get many hits.... Anyways...)

Is LBL still considered to be a gray area? I went there today & got a "Rules & Regulation" from the Planetarium. Regarding firearms it says:

"Possession, transportation, or discharge of firearms, air guns, crossbows, bows & arrows, or other weapons or explosives (including fireworks) are prohibited except as authorized by hunting regulations or special permits."

Anyone think "special permits" refers to a state issued carry permit? I'm guessing thats not really what they are referring to, but if a ranger asked me about my gun I would show him that rule & say I thought thats what it was talking about. :)

The information in the first post is still valif AFAIK. It is what handgunlaw.us still shows on their TN page for LBL

• 2 weeks later...
Guest WyattEarp

um, why can't they these places just put this **** in plain English to begin with? Same with TCA, and local municipalities? Why do they have to use all of this ****ing confusing language?

• 11 years later...
On 5/24/2010 at 5:03 PM, Gary Slider said:

I have always been told and their rules do state that there is no carry in the LBL NRA. I received the following after getting a reply from their office saying they would honor valid permit/licenses. I ask them if I could post the info on Handgunlaw.us and they ask if they could run it by their legal dept first. This is the reply I got from them.

Gary,

Our LE&I Captain verified that the information below is accurate and we appreciate you posting on the Tennessee Page.

Kathryn Harper

Manager, Communication Services

USDA Land Between The Lakes National Recreation Area

Land Between The Lakes | HOME

Below is the information LE&I provides to the public in regards to possessing firearms at LBL NRA:

1. Possession of firearms is prohibited except during legal firearms hunting seasons by licensed hunters and going to and from the LBL NRA firearms range. Firearms must be cased and unloaded during transport.

2. Firearms possessed during legal hunting seasons by licensed hunters must be cased and unloaded (chamber + magazine) while being transported in a motorized vehicle.

- LBL LE&I also states that the concealed firearms carry permit does not apply to LBL NRA at this time, although the LE officers at LBL will honor the concealed carry permit if there are no other aggravating circumstances. Examples of aggravating circumstances are, but not limited to, violation of the concealed carry permit itself, shooting from a roadway, or shooting outside of the LBL firearms rangeâ€.

2nd admit post Brewen change anything? I plan on back country camping solo and would like to CCW as i am alone in the woods. I think after Brewen it should be an open closed case. There has to be tradition of preventing cary on Parks and National forests, that is very much not the case. The entire wild west people carried.

I will just leave this here...Our Sheriff says "be prepared to defend yourself in LBL"

https://www.stewartcountystandard.com/don-t-depend-on-law-enforcement-in-lbl-cms-2029

The Sheriff on the Kentucky side of LBL says the same...

https://www.stewartcountystandard.com/ky-sheriff-on-board-with-sc-sheriff-on-not-covering-usfs-property-in-lbl-come-oct-1-cms-2075

Edited by DO-TN
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, DO-TN said:

I will just leave this here...Our Sheriff says "be prepared to defend yourself in LBL"

https://www.stewartcountystandard.com/don-t-depend-on-law-enforcement-in-lbl-cms-2029

The Sheriff on the Kentucky side of LBL says the same...

https://www.stewartcountystandard.com/ky-sheriff-on-board-with-sc-sheriff-on-not-covering-usfs-property-in-lbl-come-oct-1-cms-2075

Thanks for the links, glad people are coming to thier senses that only way to stop a bad guy is with a force equilizer. 

I emailed them yesterday, and got a responce back this morning. I was very supprised at the speed and responce.... 

Capture.thumb.JPG.1b4fa2c7762806b37d5457a09e4da71e.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1