Where the heck are you all getting BP and substitues?

Guest forklift

Guest forklift

I mean come on! B)

Where can I get something to shoot cap and ball with?? Nobody even sells pyrodex pellets around here that I know of. B)

Any reinactors reading here that know of a place or does everyone just do online and pay out the nose for shipping? ;)

PS. Please excuse my excessive use of smilies.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jamie

Wal-mart usually has 777 and pyrodex, during hunting season, but past that, I've had to go to one or the other local gun shops around here.

'Fraid I can't help you out with the Murfreesboro area though. :-\

( There's always the internet, if you don't mind paying the haz-mat fees. )

Edit: I should have said during DEER hunting season. It disappears from their shelves rather quickly after that.

J.

Edited by Jamie
Guest forklift
Wal-mart usually has 777 and pyrodex, during hunting season

True, but does the 777 have FFFg and Pyrodex have P (both of course, rated for pistols) during the hunt season?

Guest Jamie

I don't remember if they carry FFFG or Pyrodex P or not.

I never much worry about it though, because FFG powder will work just fine in BP pistols. It's a little less efficient, but it's not harmful in any way.

Also, given that 777 is a little more powerful that Pyro or some of the other substitutes, I doubt you'd notice any difference with it at all, compared to Pyrodex P.

J.

Guest forklift

Ok Jamie, just so I'm set straight... you're saying I can load 777 FFG (rated for .50 cal muzzleloader) into my cap and ball revolver .44 cal (3rd Model Dragoon)?

If so, can I also do that with Pyrodex RS?

Guest Jamie
Ok Jamie, just so I'm set straight... you're saying I can load 777 FFG (rated for .50 cal muzzleloader) into my cap and ball revolver .44 cal (3rd Model Dragoon)?

If so, can I also do that with Pyrodex RS?

Yep.

You see, BP and it's substitutes aren't "rated" for anything... it's just a recommendation for which calibers and barrel lengths they tend to burn more efficiently in.

.45 caliber is one of those "either/or" calibers that work pretty well with either grain size. ( .44 percussion actually takes a .45 cal bullet. )

Just don't use FFFFG. It's intended as a priming pan powder for flintlocks, as I recall, and probably would get dangerous in the amounts you'd typically use in the larger calibers. ( I'd have to check, but it might work okay in one of the .32 pocket guns. Not sure, so don't take my word for it. )

J.

Guest forklift

Thanks guys, especially Jamie.

Alas, I hang my head at the bass pro flood... but on a bright note... what better place to have one? boats and fishing and the giant catfish in the display tank got loose! haha.......... *sniff sniff* just don't think about all the guns and ammo that are ruined

Lock Stock & Barrel - Franklin, TN; Reloaders Bench - Mt Juliet, TN; Blockade Runner Sutler - Bell Buckle, TN (I think, maybe Wartrace). There are many other places, but these are the first to come to mind this evening.

Guest BEARMAN

Dickson Sporting Goods...hwy.46...Dickson, Tn. 5 miles north of I-40.

They sell true Goex black powder, in all grains.

Bought many a can there.

Nothing like the smell of black powder, in the morning...:)

Guest Jamie
Dickson Sporting Goods...hwy.46...Dickson, Tn. 5 miles north of I-40.

They sell true Goex black powder, in all grains.

Bought many a can there.

Nothing like the smell of black powder, in the morning...:D

You can get anything you want at Grandpa's in Clarksville, too, but that's a helluva long ride from Murfreesboro...

J.

Guest forklift

My heart is rent in two pieces. I just found out that a local store carries it... but it's one that I don't visit anymore. I've not been happy with the way they treat customers, but it looks like I might have to go back in there and take one for the team...

Murfreesboro Outdoors carries Pyrodex P. in 1 lb. bottles for $19.99

After talking with the sales person, about 3 people regularly buy that in the area.

Guest Jamie
...it looks like I might have to go back in there and take one for the team...

At least it's for a worthy cause:

"'Cause I wanna shoot my damn BP revolver!!!!"

:meh:

Oh, and don't forget the caps.

J.

Guest forklift
Oh, and don't forget the caps.

Right, I'm going to need a proper cowboy hat when shootin this hawgleg!

185_dusty_britches_269.jpg

:meh: JK, I've got plenty of #10's and #11 magnums already.

Guest TnRebel
You can get anything you want at Grandpa's in Clarksville, too, but that's a helluva long ride from Murfreesboro...

J.

Got a son in Clarksville and he comes to see me about twice a month ;p