question about my birth records for Getting Carry permit

I am trying not to ask questions that have probably been ask multiple times here.

I am reading and using the resources in the sticky thread at Tennessee Handgun Permit Resources .

I am planning to take The Hand Gun Class Next Month here in Oak Ridge, I have been talking with the guys over at Austin's.

I understand when I complete the course there, there are a few thing I have to finish up on my own to complete the process. I want to make sure I have this right.

1. Take and pass the course and get Proof I passed the course.

2. I take the proof and my Official Birth Certificate to the Driver License

Office to apply for the Carry Permit?

3. I go to another Office in Knoxville to be fingerprinted ?

I am wondering if I have the correct paper work for the Office Birth certificate. I have my actually birth certificate from the Hospital and I have a second one I believe Mom applied for once when I was a kid when she could not find that when it was lost for a time being.

The first one is the one Mom/Dad came home from the Hospital with, Cerfifies that I was born.

The second is Certificate of LIve Birth by the Ohio Department of Health.

(I do not claim anything OH. Dad only went up there to work)

Also, when I go to the drivers license place, they just copy what I have right? I keep the orignal ? This one has the hospital seal and even my feet prints on it.

So think I have the right stuff ?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sgt. Joe

It sounds to me like you are good to go. They should just make a copy and give you back your original, dont let them keep it.

As for prints it seems it is a bit different from county to county, here in Madison county they sent us to a UPS store for electronic prints. Also the 40 something dollar fee for them is part of what you pay at the Drivers License place.

I did that part and they gave me a paper with a 800 number on it to find the closest UPS store, I do think you are supposed to call first but I am not sure about that. I did call while leaving the DOS and went for prints the next day.

And as I said your county may be a bit different and you have to go get the old ink kind done. At any rate the fee is already paid at DOS.

I am sure someone closer to you will respond if they havent already while I was typing this as I was interupted.

Good luck and WELCOME aboard:D

They do just copy your birth certificate and give it back. However, they may not take a copy with the hospital seal. I believe they require a certified copy from the state. If it doesn't have the state seal, you could have trouble getting them to accept it.

On the other hand, the Certificate of Live Birth is good enough for the POTUS... :P

Guest bigbovine

From my experience, You must have the Official State Birth Certificate. I thought the Hospital Certificate of birth was the same, but the Driver's License Office Employee informed me otherwise. Had to obtain the document from the state (For me, downtown Nashville office building, got two copies while I was there).

I already checked, pretty Much I know I will be using the Clinton Driver License location and the finger print location in Knoxville. I guess the 115 Dollars I pay the state goes to the Drivers license place but covers the finger printing as well?

I looked closer at my Certificate of LIve Birth, it appears to be from the state, next time I am in Clinton I will try to check with the Driver License place to see if that would be accepted. I believe it should be.

... I guess the 115 Dollars I pay the state goes to the Drivers license place but covers the finger printing as well?....

Correct.

Sounds like you'll use the UPS store in Halls unless they've changed vendors since I got mine.

- OS

I read a thread there is one on kingston pike, I went back trying to find it but did not find it right away.

Edit

Just found it

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/handgun-carry-self-defense/39831-waiting-my-permit.html

I thought from Clinton, the one in Halls would be most convenient, maybe not.

They'll give you a list at the DL office of the area fingerprint options, you call the place you're going to use before you go with HCP application number and it speeds up the process when you get there, though I don't guess that's totally necessary.

- OS

I live in Oak Ridge TN.

So I see your point, Halls is not bad from Clinton, but as far as getting back to Oak Ridge I will just circle though Ktown, then back to Oak Ridge.

Well, there doesn't seem to be a list on the TNDOS site anymore as to FP locations, they might tell if you call DL station before going if planning your day beforehand is important.

I'm not even sure exactly if ALL DL stations do the HCP. Seems I remember something about the one out West Knox by Pellissippi Pkwy. as not doing it, or only doing it on certain days, or something. Or I could be wrong, often am.

- OS

If you need one with the seal these folks can get you one pretty quick, I am not sure but IIRC it was about 30 bucks for a couple day turnaround.

VitalChek Express - Birth Certificates, Death Certificates, Marriage Records, Divorce Records and Vital Records

+1 on the above source. I think I might have paid extra for express shipping, but was here in no time. The very helpful lady at the DMV gave me their info.

They do just copy your birth certificate and give it back. However, they may not take a copy with the hospital seal. I believe they require a certified copy from the state. If it doesn't have the state seal, you could have trouble getting them to accept it.

I assumed I was all ok, but discovered the only birth certificate I had was from the hospital. Despite the fact of it having my hand and foot prints; that was not good enough...lol. Sent off for one with the state seal that of course didn't have the prints and that is more official somehow.

And if you were born local, you can just go to your local health department and save some money, but I was in the same boat as you.

Good luck.

Ditto on the health department, that's where I went to mine. It was just a few bucks. Short wait for them to print it out. The only copy I had was the "old" negative looking type from 1956. They will not accept those.

When my wife went they preferred her Passport over her Birth Certificate.

From my experience, You must have the Official State Birth Certificate. I thought the Hospital Certificate of birth was the same, but the Driver's License Office Employee informed me otherwise. Had to obtain the document from the state (For me, downtown Nashville office building, got two copies while I was there).

A hospital certificate won't work. I got a fresh copy of mine from the state of Missouri thru a service on the internet.

BTW... my current birth certificate looks very similar to Obama's, which means I was really born in Kenya. ;)

Guest rsgillmd

It sounds to me like the hospital certificate is not valid because it is not issued by the government, state, jurisdiction or territory. Use your other one. Or do what I did: just use your passport.

I was born in India in my mom's village. I have a birth certificate somewhere in India because I had an Indian passport prior to moving to the U.S. However, to track it down now would probably be extremely difficult. So I used my U.S. passport.

For the rare person on this board who may not be a U.S. citizen, I've posted the state's requirements below (from their page):

Acceptable Documents for U.S. Citizenship

• Official Birth Certificate issued by a U.S. state, jurisdiction or territory (Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Northern Mariana Islands, American Samoa, Swain's Island, Guam)
  • U.S. Government-issued Certified Birth Certificate
  • U.S. Certificate of Birth Abroad (DS-1350 or FS-545)
  • Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the U.S. (FS-240)
  • Valid, unexpired U.S. Passport
  • Certificate of Citizenship (N560 or N561)
  • Certificate of Naturalization (N550, N570 or N578)
  • U.S. Citizen Identification Card (I-197, I-179)

Acceptable Documents for Lawful Permanent Resident Status

• Permanent Resident Alien Card (I-551)
  • Foreign passport stamped by the U.S. Government indicating that the holder has been
    "Processed for I-551"
  • Permanent resident Re-entry Permit (I-327)
  • Arrival Departure Form I-94 with “Temporary I-551†stamp and holder’s photograph affixed
  • Travel Document issued to Permanent Residents (I-327)
  • Travel Document issued to Refugees (I-571)
  • Form I-94 stamped with one of the following statuses: Asylee, Parolee or Parole, Refugee, Asylum, HP-humanitarian parolee or PIP-public interest parolee

Guest TargetShooter84

UPS Store in Lenoir City works for fingerprinting, that's where I went for mine couple yrs ago. The one across from Walmart store.

I had to go to the health dept to get my certificate...it was easy wait and I was out of the door in like 10 minutes. Still have those papers, they just gave it back to me at the DMV.