E.M.F. Revolvers?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think EMF is just an importer, so it would depend on the specific firearm. I know when I was looking for a lever gun the name EMF came up. I don’t remember who made them but they looked like they were well built, and they had good reviews. But I have never seen or shot one.

Yes, near as I can tell EMF is an importer. I have asked around on some other boards as well. I am not 100% sure but it is believed that they refine a NIB Pieta to smooth out any rough spots. As for Pieta guns they are Italian and considered a notch below Uberti. The pistol from EMF costs about 5% over where I can get it from other sources but I am not to worried about 10 to 15 dollars on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I caved in on a new BP revolver.

I ordered a blued steel frame 1858 Remington with a 5.5 inch barrel in .44 caliber. It is backordered and I might be lucky and have it in two weeks.

there is a very outside chance that it will arrive in time to break it in at the shoot on the 19th but my hopes are not high.

Can't wait for it to come. Anticipation is almost better than holding it in my hands.

Nothing like the smell of BP.

Now i need to save my change up for a while and order the conversion cylinder for it to be able to shoot .45 long colt. The conversion cylinder costs near as much as the BP revolver did.

Now here's an interesting question...

Some of those older 'antique' BP revolvers can be purchased without a transfer, 4473 and background check (right?)... what would stop someone from doing that, and then buying a centerfire cylinder conversion for it, to fire fixed ammunition? Surely that's not a 'loophole', but I've never heard of verbiage prohibiting doing so...

I have wondered about that myself Eddie.

None of the places where I have found cartridge conversion cylinders available state anything about their product needing to go through a FFL, and there was no 4473 for me to order this over the telephone. All I needed was a valid source of payment and I was good to go.

I suppose a deviant sort could order the BP revolver and the conversion cylinder at the same time and in short order have a cartridge firing revolver.

So then with the above being fact does it make it illegal for a convicted felon to purchase and own a BP gun?

I wonder how well a BP revolver would fire using the gangsta stance.

I have a 1851 in .36. My Dad gave my Brother and I these for Christmas one year. He'd had'em for years, I remember shooting them when I was 5 or 6. I would rather shoot it than anything.

For the average deviant type and BP conversions, I don't think it would be practical for them..

1. It costs money

2. Don't hold enough rounds

3. Takes a little ability to convert

4. Don't look cool

5. To slow to reload

6. can't come up with any cool slang words for it

7. Would be hard to score when you stuck it in your waistband, with that skinny barrel, the "ladies" of questionable character would point & snicker

what would stop someone from doing that, and then buying a centerfire cylinder conversion for it, to fire fixed ammunition?

Probably the same thing that would stop a convicted felon serial killer from buying a handgun FTF…. Absolutely nothing. :D

NuT, great list. LOL

I have an 1851 in .44, brass framed. I have nhad it for 25 years I guess. Unfortunately it is fubared right now, but the guy looking at it for me seems optimistic that he can fix it. Parts are near impossible to find, in spite of several websites claiming they have parts for it. I call them and no parts.

Hopefully I will have the new one and the old one to shoot very soon.

Update. Cabelas emailed and said my order was being backordered further, up to three more weeks. Now I have seen this type of stuff before where the retailer has no control over when shipments come in and they are estimating the arrival date. Now they pushed it back again. I called and cancelled. I figured I could call around to a couple different suppliers and maybe have some luck. Well sho' nuff. EMF has what I want in stock.

On Monday afternoon I should/will recieve a NIB 1858 Remington 5.5" barrel steel frame, blued .44 caliber BP revolver. I am excited now. I will definitely have it for the shoot this weekend. Assuming it is not a lemon I will have ammo, powder and caps to give it a proper breaking in!