Matthew Bracken Books

Lately, I've gotten interested in a certain style of fiction. Specifically, that type which is oriented around survival, post apocalyptic life, TEOTWAWKI, etc...I read The Road, One Second After, and a few others, and saw some reviews for these as well as some written by Boston T. Party. Anyone around the middle Tennessee area have any of these they might be willing to let me borrow? I already checked the public library and they dont have any.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try this series. I have read two and they were in the middle. Money is the only thing keeping from buying the whole set.

Ashes William W. Johnstone page 1

I don't know if you like an entertainment only version of this but the John Ringo Posleen War series really held my attention. Earth invaded by Centaur bodied raptor headed aliens by the millions and our boys fighting em with some new tech battle suits and good old fashioned artillery!!

I have the first 5 I think of this one if you wanted to borrow them. I can come through Gallatin on my way to work or from for a meet if interested.

posleen war series - Google Product Search

My two cents worth, for what it's worth. There are many post-apocolyptic series available. Many are pure trash, but some are worth reading. The Ashes Series by William J. Johnstone has been around for quite a while. Probably over 10 years. Pretty good reading until the 30th or so book, then gets so repetative and formulaic that youjust want to kill off everyone in the books. Even Johnstone admitted toward the end that he'd tired of writing them.

John Ringo is one of the newest hottest military sf writers around today. Writes very well and is able to pull together a myriad of characters and subplots to maintain a great storyline. His Polseen books concern an alien race invading earth, but is pulled off well. About 10 of them out now.

Another, older series you might like is The Survivalist. A series by Jerry Ahern. Like the Ashes series, it is a true TEOTWAWKI storyline--world devestation by war and plagues. A side note for us gun nuts, Ahern's central character used Deutonics 45's and Ahern gave up writing and bought the company. I believe it is still in operation today.

All these books can probably be found in used book stores and in some cases quite cheaply. Especially the older ones. Or check E-bay. I have seen whole series sold for basically just shipping costs.

I would offer my to you, but unfortunately they were lost in the Great Nashville Flood of '10. Seriously, I lost about three thousand books and paperbacks dating back to the early seventies. Yes I know, that's stupid; but I've never been able to get rid of a book if I liked it.

Anyway, there are losts of books out there on this topic. Most are purely for entertainment purposes, but can have some redeeming value by giving you a bit of knowledge about survival skills and tactics. The trick is discerning the truth amongst the fiction.

My two cents worth, for what it's worth. There are many post-apocolyptic series available. Many are pure trash, but some are worth reading. The Ashes Series by William J. Johnstone has been around for quite a while. Probably over 10 years. Pretty good reading until the 30th or so book, then gets so repetative and formulaic that youjust want to kill off everyone in the books. Even Johnstone admitted toward the end that he'd tired of writing them.

John Ringo is one of the newest hottest military sf writers around today. Writes very well and is able to pull together a myriad of characters and subplots to maintain a great storyline. His Polseen books concern an alien race invading earth, but is pulled off well. About 10 of them out now.

Another, older series you might like is The Survivalist. A series by Jerry Ahern. Like the Ashes series, it is a true TEOTWAWKI storyline--world devestation by war and plagues. A side note for us gun nuts, Ahern's central character used Deutonics 45's and Ahern gave up writing and bought the company. I believe it is still in operation today.

All these books can probably be found in used book stores and in some cases quite cheaply. Especially the older ones. Or check E-bay. I have seen whole series sold for basically just shipping costs.

I would offer my to you, but unfortunately they were lost in the Great Nashville Flood of '10. Seriously, I lost about three thousand books and paperbacks dating back to the early seventies. Yes I know, that's stupid; but I've never been able to get rid of a book if I liked it.

Anyway, there are losts of books out there on this topic. Most are purely for entertainment purposes, but can have some redeeming value by giving you a bit of knowledge about survival skills and tactics. The trick is discerning the truth amongst the fiction.

Try this series. I have read two and they were in the middle. Money is the only thing keeping from buying the whole set.

Ashes William W. Johnstone page 1

I don't know if you like an entertainment only version of this but the John Ringo Posleen War series really held my attention. Earth invaded by Centaur bodied raptor headed aliens by the millions and our boys fighting em with some new tech battle suits and good old fashioned artillery!!

I have the first 5 I think of this one if you wanted to borrow them. I can come through Gallatin on my way to work or from for a meet if interested.

posleen war series - Google Product Search

I have read most of The Ashes series. Have been reading them since the 80's. I will try to find the ones by Ringo and by Ahern. Don't think I've read those.

I read Lucifer's Hammer years ago, and am gong to re-read that one soon. Thanks a lot for the input!

You like Larry Niven then! I'm looking at 15 of his books as I type this, fantastic writer. He's one of my "nothing new to read" re-read authors so that's why he is right here next to the bed. Between him and Frank Herbert, I have probably used up several thousands of hours of my life living in their worlds!

Get the Known Space short stories collections and his biggest seller, Ringworld and it's sequels.

I do like Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. Also Frank Herbert. But as far as the end of the world type theme, the first I remember reading was Andre' Norton's Daybreak 2250 AD...50's vintage but I must have read it around the late 60's/or very early 70's.

Atlas Shrugged is kind of a end of the world book. It's one you can modernize in your head as you read it (written in 1957) and go WOW, just like what's going on today. She gets very long winded in her characters diatribes, very repetitive of theme, but it's still a book everyone here should read. Some more than others.

I do like Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. Also Frank Herbert. But as far as the end of the world type theme, the first I remember reading was Andre' Norton's Daybreak 2250 AD...50's vintage but I must have read it around the late 60's/or very early 70's.

Excellent old work. Had a really interesting substitute teacher once in about 4th/5th grade who read that to us. I believe she was responsible for getting me into sifi.

Guest SUNTZU

State of Disobedience by Tom Kratman is an excellent book. New president, Democratically controlled House and Senate, national healthcare, tax the rich, etc., etc. and then they try another Waco, basically.

Baen has the first seven chapters up for you to read for free to see if you like the book. Here's the link.

A State of Disobedience by Tom Kratman - Baen Books

Lots of free reading in their library, as well. You can order books and ebooks directly from them. John Ringo lives in Chattanooga. I wonder if he's on TGO? If you are out there, and you can hear me, John, you ARE the resistance....wait, that's Terminator, just wanted to say hi!

baen.com/library

John Ringo lives in Chattanooga. I wonder if he's on TGO? If you are out there, and you can hear me, John, you ARE the resistance....wait, that's Terminator, just wanted to say hi!

John's books have details of the southeast that made me know he had been down here but living in Chattanooga.....that's cool! I hope he is on here as well and Hello from me as well if your lurking John!

"I think it's time for the Spanish Inquisition"