How long should you wait on a check to get cashed?

Random question here. I wrote a check last September for $250. It still has not been cashed and I am sick of treating $250 as $0 in my checking account. I have none of this guy's info and no way to get in touch with him. He had all of mine and has never contacted me. Am I good to stop payment on the check and not worry about it? How long would y'all wait? Just curious.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 6.8 AR

I would stop payment after talking with the bank. And I think it is 180 days, at least

that is printed on some company checks and bank checks. since you don't have contact

numbers for him, you should get them after that, and reissue another one. Otherwise,

it is still a debt owed.

Did you get what you paid for? If so, I would not worry about it. I would not stop payment without his knowledge.

I would let it ride. I am in the same situation. I wrote a guy a small check for a gun related item on another forum. I got the item and left good feedback. He left good feedback. He has my business card but can not find the check and does not want another. I think he is embarrased. I told him that if he found the check, deposit it. This was six months ago and the check has not cleared

oldogy

My understanding was that banks would only guarantee the payee payment within 6 months, but may or may not pay out between 6 mos and a year. After a year, I don't believe they'll pay out. Check with your banker to be sure.

Bank says they won't cash a check after a year no matter what. If I had any contact info for the guy I would get in touch with him and ask what's going on, but I don't. It's not on a gun purchase or anything it's a dog my wife bought from a guy last September. I just hate having outstanding checks and I kinda feel like 9 months is long enough to get your money.

Guest Glock23ForMe
Bank says they won't cash a check after a year no matter what. If I had any contact info for the guy I would get in touch with him and ask what's going on, but I don't. It's not on a gun purchase or anything it's a dog my wife bought from a guy last September. I just hate having outstanding checks and I kinda feel like 9 months is long enough to get your money.

Maybe he felt sorry for selling you something that just eats, sleeps and :poop:s

:D

• Administrator

If you want to do the honest thing, cancel the check and immediately send the person a $250 cashier's check or money order. That way the funds are truly out of your account and this guy has a form of payment that he can cash at his leisure. If you just cancel the check, you're in essence stealing from the person.

If you want to do the honest thing, cancel the check and immediately send the person a $250 cashier's check or money order. That way the funds are truly out of your account and this guy has a form of payment that he can cash at his leisure. If you just cancel the check, you're in essence stealing from the person.

I'm with you all the way here. If I wasn't worried about feeling that way I would have cancelled the check after 6 months. I have no way of getting in touch with this guy. I have the record in the checkbook where my wife wrote the check and recorded it in the transaction register. The guy lived outside of town and met her nearby. I have no number, address or anything for this guy. I have no way to send this guy an alternate method of payment. This was her deal and I just don't want to feel like I'm shafting the guy but at the same time who sits on a check for 9 months?

Guest Lester Weevils

If the guy lost the check, it would be unfortunate because he probably doesn't have any way of contacting you either.

Strange things happen. Before the internet took off when I was mail-order selling software, got a money order and shipped a package. A few days later got the package back refused. As best I could figure, maybe the guy had died in the week between ordering the software and it arriving in his mailbox.

Guest Glock23ForMe
I'm with you all the way here. If I wasn't worried about feeling that way I would have cancelled the check after 6 months. I have no way of getting in touch with this guy. I have the record in the checkbook where my wife wrote the check and recorded it in the transaction register. The guy lived outside of town and met her nearby. I have no number, address or anything for this guy. I have no way to send this guy an alternate method of payment. This was her deal and I just don't want to feel like I'm shafting the guy but at the same time who sits on a check for 9 months?

Maybe he is saving it for a rainy day?

Guest friesepferd

for sure check with the bank. there is very likely a 'shelf life' for your check. most likely you can just stop worrying about it, as it cant be cashed.. but not sure.

if you have a good bank, you can most likely have them 'flag' that check number. If the check tries to get cashed, they will give you a call and you can tell them to go ahead and let it go through or not, or ask them to transfer more money to that account, etc. Not every bank will do that, but some will.

So.. check with your bank. they are bound to be able to tell you something to help you out.