Is there a minimum cartridge to qualify?

Is there a minimum cartridge to qualify for the TN concealed weapon class? Oh, I've got various different handguns in all different calibers I have and can use, but I wonder if I can use a .22, just to be different.

Robert in Erwin, TN

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest canynracer

caliber makes no difference...well in terms of the course..lol

when I took it, there were 6 people using 22's...2 of them rented them from the range

all the instructors suggest is shoot with the gun your going to carry. in other words, if you have never shot a .357 from a 6 inch barrel, and have only shot a .22, your in for a big surprise. recoil is alot higher.

i qualified with a .45 and had no problems, but i was used to my weapon before i had to shoot it in the range.

TN residents who get the HCP are lucky, the caliber of the gun does not matter. there is one state (cant remember what one) but what you qualify with is the one your allowed to carry. there is like a max of 3 guns for you to have if memory serves. i cant remember which state that is.

there is no limit on the number of guns you may own either, nor a limit on how many you can carry on you once you have your permit.

Guest ETS_Inc

You may qualify with anything your heart desires. If you want to qualify with a Desert Eagle .50AE, you may. Or, you can qualify with a .22. Then, once you get your permit, you can carry whichever gun, or guns, you want.

Heck, at the range where I teach classes, we have a frequent customer who carries no less than 4 DA revolvers at any given time. Paranoid? Yes. Legal? Absolutely.

[quote name=

TN residents who get the HCP are lucky, the caliber of the gun does not matter. there is one state (cant remember what one) but what you qualify with is the one your allowed to carry. there is like a max of 3 guns for you to have if memory serves. i cant remember which state that is.

there is no limit on the number of guns you may own either, nor a limit on how many you can carry on you once you have your permit.[/quote]

California

Guest 270win

You are limited to three handguns generally in California. The county sheriff (the general issuing office for a CA CCW) or city police chief records the make, model, and serial number of the three handguns on your Concealed Carry Weapons license. You have to qualify with what you carry there.

I believe Nevada has a similar requirement, but does not list the handgun on your license. New York lists what handgun you carry on your carry license as a form of registration because without a NY carry license you cannot even legally possess one there, but I don't think you are limited to the number and most counties do not make you qualify, and the NY license is generally good for life.

what scares me is i dont know if you all read story on msn.com the other day about the experimental DLs. michigan and california are 2 of the 4 states participating in the test. the test is inserting RFI chips in the DLs and any equipped police car, border patrol or what ever can scan the license with the chip up to 30 feet away.

i suspect that they are testing this to stop ID theft, but the chips can be manipulated too im sure. give it time. so if they do that for DLs, who is to say that gun permits wont be done that way too. it looks like it is an attempt to go with a national ID, and god forbid that happens, as we do not need the fed government in control of gun permits.

Guest canynracer
You are limited to three handguns generally in California. The county sheriff (the general issuing office for a CA CCW) or city police chief records the make, model, and serial number of the three handguns on your Concealed Carry Weapons license. You have to qualify with what you carry there.

I believe Nevada has a similar requirement, but does not list the handgun on your license. New York lists what handgun you carry on your carry license as a form of registration because without a NY carry license you cannot even legally possess one there, but I don't think you are limited to the number and most counties do not make you qualify, and the NY license is generally good for life.

you mean three handguns for CCW right??? cause you can own as many as you want

Guest 270win

Yes three guns to carry on a California CCW. Did you ever apply while living in California for a license? I have heard as long as you are not in LA County or SF, it is not too hard to get a CA CCW....Orange County issues if you regularly go to a gun club. If you are a dedicated shooter, not a bad deal. San Diego County is not as bad from what i've heard from my friend on the west coast either when it comes to get a CCW.

Guest canynracer
Yes three guns to carry on a California CCW. Did you ever apply while living in California for a license? I have heard as long as you are not in LA County or SF, it is not too hard to get a CA CCW....Orange County issues if you regularly go to a gun club. If you are a dedicated shooter, not a bad deal. San Diego County is not as bad from what i've heard from my friend on the west coast either when it comes to get a CCW.

there are people that wait two years just for the psych eval....it is the worst...unless you are a movie start, or cop...good luck...not sure about san diego...but LA or Ventura Counties are pretty much impossible, no matter WHAT the websites say...