Gun laws for shooting on one's own property.

My grandmother lives in Oakland, TN and has some neighbors directly behind her house that have about 3 areas of land, but are shooting firearms very close to her house.

I called the Oakland Police Department and they informed me that there is no set distance to how close they can be shooting to their house as long as they are not shooting directly at the house or animals. They said they also cannot shoot after 10PM.

Can someone direct me to the actual laws on this?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless they are in city limits that restricts the discharge of firearms they are not breaking any laws. Like the officer made clear, the only thing that can be applied is noise restrictions.

Just ignore it unless bullets are directed at the house or property.

Guest m&pc9
Unless they are in city limits that restricts the discharge of firearms they are not breaking any laws. Like the officer made clear, the only thing that can be applied is noise restrictions.

Just ignore it unless bullets are directed at the house or property.

I thought the same thing, Then I thought it only takes one stray bullet to end a life.

if they are not aiming or raining lead down on her house why do you care? If you think they are too close to Grandma's house why not go out and ask them to move further away?

There are no laws being broken.

You made no comment as to whether or not they were firing in a safe direction.

There is no law against having a beer and possessing a gun. I do not think there is a law against having a beer and shooting a gun.

Guest strelcevina
Her neighbors now have beer in their hand + shooting. Cops are on their way.

take camera and record them drinking beer and shooting. and if you get lucky you will get one of them swinging gun in your direction.

after that file a lawsuit.

video evidence is always best thing in a court ,

Guest Jcochran88
take camera and record them drinking beer and shooting. and if you get lucky you will get one of them swinging gun in your direction.

after that file a lawsuit.

video evidence is always best thing in a court ,

Dude, Really? Is filing a law suit your answer to everything?

Just because they are shooting and having a few beers does not mean you cannot approach and politely ask them to shoot in a safe direction, lawyers and police should not be your primary means of hashing out problems with neighbors

Guest strelcevina
Dude, Really? Is filing a law suit your answer to everything?

not me.

he is the one who call a police.

so in his case video would be helpful.

and i wouldn't recommend to ask a drunk guy with a gun anything

thanks

If you know these people, maybe just have a friendly conversation with them, non confrontational and let them know the excess shooting near your grandmother's home has been upsetting her. Maybe they will be a bit understanding.

When I was growing up as a kid, I used to target practice in my backyard and if anyone had every complained my parents would have put a stop to it right away.

Now that I am 35 I can't shoot in their back yard, because it will upset their house dogs. I have to go to another place.

However, I don't agree with mixing beer with shooting.

Cops showed up and talked to the neighbors. Haven't heard anymore shooting. I thought mixing guns and alcohol was illegal.

Either way, I wouldn't have called the cops on just anyone, but these neighbors have proven to be very irresponsible in the past.

For instance, they recently received a DUI which caused them to lose their job and now they are no longer making payments on their house. As a result they quit mowing their lawn (currently around 3-4ft tall grass) and have told both my parents and grandparents that they have no intention of mowing it. They also have parties until the AM on a regular basis and after their last party my parents ended up having the back window of their car busted out with a large rock. The annoyances go on and on, but all-in-all they are very irresponsible neighbors.

The last thing I would want to see is someone getting drunk and killing one of my family members.

As a result they quit mowing their lawn (currently around 3-4ft tall grass) and have told both my parents and grandparents that they have no intention of mowing it. They also have parties until the AM on a regular basis and after their last party my parents ended up having the back window of their car busted out with a large rock. The annoyances go on and on, but all-in-all they are very irresponsible neighbors.

When you let out more information I would say you did not over react. Sounds like they have a handful with the neighbors.

Guest Glock23ForMe
Cops showed up and talked to the neighbors. Haven't heard anymore shooting. I thought mixing guns and alcohol was illegal.

Either way, I wouldn't have called the cops on just anyone, but these neighbors have proven to be very irresponsible in the past.

For instance, they recently received a DUI which caused them to lose their job and now they are no longer making payments on their house. As a result they quit mowing their lawn (currently around 3-4ft tall grass) and have told both my parents and grandparents that they have no intention of mowing it. They also have parties until the AM on a regular basis and after their last party my parents ended up having the back window of their car busted out with a large rock. The annoyances go on and on, but all-in-all they are very irresponsible neighbors.

The last thing I would want to see is someone getting drunk and killing one of my family members.

Well, with their past history, I can understand the guns and beer thing. However, I'm pretty sure that, as stated above, if you are on your own property and outside the city limits and there are no laws restricting it, there is nothing against having a brewski and shooting your firearms in a safe direction.

Just because someone is shooting on their own property and having a beer or two, doesn't mean they are idiots and don't know what they're doing, but, like I said above, with their track record. I would've probably went over and asked them politely to stop... Because now, you're just the a$$hole who called the police. :)

Guest bkelm18
Well, with their past history, I can understand the guns and beer thing. However, I'm pretty sure that, as stated above, if you are on your own property and outside the city limits and there are no laws restricting it, there is nothing against having a brewski and shooting your firearms in a safe direction.

Just because someone is shooting on their own property and having a beer or two, doesn't mean they are idiots and don't know what they're doing, but, like I said above, with their track record. I would've probably went over and asked them politely to stop... Because now, you're just the a$$hole who called the police. :)

Getting DUIs, throwing out of control parties resulting in smashed windows, alcohol and firearms.... somehow I don't think "pretty please?" is going to get them to stop. Might as well start the legal paper trail with the cops.

I am confused??

How many beers can I have and still be OK to Shoot??

Is it ok if I have a few beers and point my car in a safe direction???

It may not be against any laws, but it is disrespectful of your neighbors.

you cannot drink in a place that serves alcohol for on premise consumption if you are carrying.

On private property I believe the law only talks about not being under the influence of alcohol. So I would think that a few beers is okay, but being drunk and shooting or even armed is not. Big difference between a few beers and being drunk.

It may not be against any laws, but it is disrespectful of your neighbors.

I am unsure how me having a few beers and plinking on my range is disrespectful to my neighbors? The noise is the same either way. I also understand that people assume someone having a beer or three is falling down drunk. It is legal to have a beer or two and point your car in a safe direction. Depends on what takes you over .08 bac or makes you act stupidly.

Guest Phantom6

While "hold my beer and watch this, y'all" is never a good thing there is certainly no law against it as long as you are on your own property. Off your property is another thing entirely. Yes, your B/A can be less than .08 and you can still drive but when it comes to firearms, you can have no more than 0% but again, that's only if you are in public and off your own property. If these folks are shooting onto or across the property of your grandmother then they are depriving your grandmother of the enjoyment of what is rightfully hers and there is cause for a civil suit. Until you catch these folks in a criminal act such as trespassing or vandalism or worse, you will have to make a civil assault on them. If you have talked with them then the next step is a cease and desist letter from your attorney. If that doesn't stop the problem then have your attorney file the suit. Keep in mind that if they are not shooting at or across your family's property and as long as they stop by 10pm and don't start before 8am y'all are just going to have to suffer with it until it becomes criminal.

All of the above being said, IMHO it is never a good idea to mix firearms and alcohol. Wait until the guns and ammo are put away until you have a drink or six. But, that's just me. I'd rather be safe than sorry ... and liable.

Edited by Phantom6