TIME MAGAZINE

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Mike/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:purple; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> Time Magazine, July 12, 2010 has an excellent article about the Second Amendment and the recent Supreme Court ruling.

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o></o>

You can also go to Supreme Court: 2nd Amendment Supersedes Local Gun-Control Laws - TIME to see a more detailed online version.

If you choose to read it (either version), pay particular attention to the last three paragraphs.

Mike B

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, 100,000 people are hurt or killed every year by firearms. Where the crap did they get that number?!

I don't know but I'd like to know also.

Would that include the number of offenders who are shot because they were threatening the life of a police officer or the life of a law-abiding citizen or the life of a kid or the life of anyone?

That's one million people in ten years!

Mike B

The way the number is used it would not only include all people shot under all circumstances, but it would include suicides and all those people that had minor injuries from a gunshot. I wouldn’t get in a pizzing match over that number; it could be accurate.

I pinched my finger between the upper and lower receiver of my rifle last weekend and dropped the slide to one of my pistols on my toe while refinishing it. Both of which hurt like the dickens.

Luckily, I reported neither...it's good not to be part of this statistic.

I just love how people like Mr. Cohen (the author of the Time article) believe that the term "the people" means individuals in all of the Bill of Rights except in the Second Amendment, when it must (in his minuscule mind) refer to states. Sophistry at its finest! I can imagine the conniption :tinfoil: he would throw if we applied his perverse understanding of the term "the people" to the First Amendment.... :rolleyes:

I just love how people like Mr. Cohen (the author of the Time article) believe that the term "the people" means individuals in all of the Bill of Rights except in the Second Amendment, when it must (in his minuscule mind) refer to states. Sophistry at its finest! I can imagine the conniption :tinfoil: he would throw if we applied his perverse understanding of the term "the people" to the First Amendment.... :rolleyes:

I believe it was a well written article. He offers opinions from both sides; I don’t see where he is making his own opinions on the issues known.

The States Rights concern is a valid one. There are states that will not be told by the Federal government when and where guns can be carried. Illinois and Tennessee are two of those states. It is a crime for the average citizen to carry a gun in Tennessee and it will remain that way until Tennessee chooses otherwise. Same with Illinois; the difference in Illinois is that they do not allow you to purchase the privilege.

No matter how badly you believe you should be able to carry a gun (and I do believe that), you can’t believe that the Feds driving that down a states throat is not a “States Rights†issue.

The 1<SUP>st</SUP> vs. 2<SUP>nd</SUP> argument is lame and it has been addressed by the Justices.

I don’t see where he is making his own opinions on the issues known.

To me, the fact that he can quote this:

If one of the court's conservatives leaves and is replaced by a  liberal,  the Second Amendment could revert to what it was for more than two  centuries: a right that belongs to states, not to individuals.[/HTML]

without stating how preposterous that is, tells me exactly what his opinion is. States rights is not my issue at all--although many are trying to plead it where the Second Amendment is concerned. They say that "the people" means states only in the Second, while meaning individuals everywhere else in the Bill of Rights. That is indeed sophistry. If that is not what the author is trying to say, well, I guess I misread him--but I do not think so. OMO, YMMV.
Guest 6.8 AR

Well, the way they ruled, a lot of thing s could change. Time will tell.

The author of that piece started out okay, but the 100K figure had to include

all the illegal weapons used and accidents(not killings). I think the Lott

study straightens that mess out. It would be nice if he had used real data

instead of generalizing with that number. That wasn't going to happen.

I just love how people like Mr. Cohen (the author of the Time article) believe that the term "the people" means individuals in all of the Bill of Rights except in the Second Amendment, when it must (in his minuscule mind) refer to states. Sophistry at its finest! I can imagine the conniption :drama: he would throw if we applied his perverse understanding of the term "the people" to the First Amendment.... :usa:

+1

The first ten amendments were written at the same time and "the people" means the same in all the amendments. Furthermore, the supremacy clause is pretty self explanatory, and to think that anything that is specifically mandated in the constitution would be left to the states to decide is not accurate. The tenth amendment then completes that picture as well.