Question for FFLs/gun store owners

Guest Len

Hey Frank/Joe/The Rabbi/Anyone else I'm forgetting:

Went to my local gun store/range (Guns & Leather) today to get in some practice. They are undergoing a major expansion -more space, more inventory, more guns, adding a gunsmith. The place was packed at 230pm. I was told that over 900 guns were sold in TN in the first 3 business days of the new year. The implication was this was a very large number.

Questions:

1) What do you think about this? Is it a larger than usual number? If so, theories on what's up? (I have a couple but would like to hear others.)

2) Do FFLs who access the NICS get statistics on purchases such as this? Is there a record of, say, how many guns sold in TN in 2007 through the NICS system?

Thanks.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Boomhower

There is a thread on here somewhere that showed (I believe it was 2006) firearm purchase statics, but I can't remember the key words to search for at this moment. Either way, that was a yearly static.

Guest abailey362
Hey Frank/Joe/The Rabbi/Anyone else I'm forgetting:

Questions:

1) What do you think about this? Is it a larger than usual number? If so, theories on what's up? (I have a couple but would like to hear others.)

high democrat voter turnout? Buy 'em now while you can attitude might be setting in. I am considering ourchasing a few "probable ban" pieces and holding on to them just in case.

But most likely people spending Christmas money, and others who waited until after they bought gifts for everyone else and now they can treat themselves.

Guest ETS_Inc

I would primarily contribute it to the usual post-Christmas buying frenzy, when people spend their gift money. Add to that the fact that it's now a Presidential election year, particularly with such scary candidates on both sides, and you've got a stage set for a record number of guns being bought.

TBI does collect statistical data on the number of transfers done. The busiest day of the week is, not surprisingly, Friday. I can't remember which month was the busiest for 06, though. Doug Woodlee, the head of TBI's TICS unit, sent an e-mail out with the stats last year. He did it so that FFL's could do things like plan vacations, buy more stock, or not order as much. Mr. Woodlee is a good guy, who really goes out of his way to help the dealers in this State.

I can sort of tell by the approval numbers that come back. My first two of the year were something like 705 I think.

Dec is a busy month for Xmas.

Jan is a busy month for tax refunds and Xmas gift money.

Feb is a busy month for tax refunds.

June, July, and Aug are usually pretty dead. End of Aug things pick up with dove season opening.

Added to that is the spectre of a Democratic victory in the White House. I have had a couple of sales of AWB specials because of this. One guy ordered 6 AR lowers. (He has yet to pick them up and I may be running a special on these).

I can't wait for Hillary to get the nomination. Sales will really peak when that happens. Sort of like Y2K all over again. With about as much repercussion.

I know there was one auction on the first that had a few guns offered for sale. Also there was a 200+ gun auction in Cleveland on 12/31/07, perhaps some of the TICS checks weren't performed until a day or two later?

Special events such as auctions can inflate the numbers from the norm quite easily.