TN Law Regarding--

ergon

Is it mandatory to have a long gun shipped to a FFL when purchased from an individual out of state? Can't he just take my drivers license number and ship it directly to me? Since I can cross state lines to purchase a long gun from a dealer without issue wouldn't the same apply to an individual purchase?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest canynracer

It has to go through a FFL...there are other threads on this in the Right to Bear Arms section....but here is the law

From ATF site

(B3) May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s own State? [Back]A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser's State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(:mad:(3)]

Guest ETS_Inc

You can not legally have a firearm (be it a rifle, shotgun, handgun, or NFA Title II firearm) from an out-of-State seller, and have it shipped directly to you. Doing so is a violation of Federal law. If you were caught, you would be facing a very stiff penalty, including a vacation in Federal prison, where the 'stiffness' of your penalty would likely be made 'painfully' clear.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/index.htm

And, the pertinent answers: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b1

I know that applies to all handguns but I didn't think it applied to shotguns and rifles. This is not from a dealerand if it were I know that I can purchase a shotgun in Nebraska and drive it home.

Federal law allows an FFL to transfer a long gun to someone from another state if they are in compliance with the laws of both states. (The “both states†part is why some dealers won’t do it.)

If the gun is being shipped across state lines for the transfer; an FFL must make the transfer to the buyer.

I have heard that there are some laws about allowing long gun transfers between states that are adjoining; but I have not seen them.

Interstate commerce and guns don't mix well. Only a pre-1898 firearm (legal antique) or black powder firearm can be shipped directly to a non-licensee.

CMP ships M1 Garands and M1 Carbines to non-licensee’s everyday…. Even to California. :koolaid:

CMP ships M1 Garands and M1 Carbines to non-licensee’s everyday…. Even to California. :D

Yes they do, and legally to boot.

Now, can you name another non-governmental entity that can do so, legally? :cool: